My Own Z Surpases 300 WHP...Details Inside!

Adam@Z1auto.com

Just wanted to give you all a taste of what we've been working on the past few months on my own car :)

For those not familiar, 300 whp has been a bit of a difficult nut to crack on the Z so far. I knew dating back a long time ago I wanted this (and then some), and worked long and hard to research the appropriate means of achieving it...and here it is!

But first, a prologue :)

Hey all - as some guys here know, I've been doing an NA build on my own car for quite some time. It started about 2 years ago when I acquired a spare set of heads, and some Tomei cams. After much time spent with the flow bench, and a variety of other tools by my machinist, as well as assistance from some Japanese shops (notably MCR (Matchless Crowd Racing), and one of our suppliers in Japan, we had a set of heads completed. The original goal was to put those onto my stock block with a set of DC Sport headers that had been given to me, and see what could be done. Unfortunately, time was not something we had alot of, and the project got side tracked. While I did have some bolt ons done (netting 268 whp back in December 2005 when I did my UTEC install), I never quite got around to doing the headswap.

Fast forward to Fall 2006. A customer called us from Michigan and told me a story of his 2004 Z that had been totalled at an event. We ended up working out a deal for his longblock, in exchange for parts he wanted for his new Z. Now that I had a spare block...the "What the hell" factor took over, and I decided to build a block to go with my yet-unused heads :)

The goal on this car has always been a setup that can run in all 4 seasons, is not built or tuned to the ragged edge, but rather, a more reliable approach. I have other cars, and while the Z is a toy of sorts, it gets used quite alot (50k miles since getting it Fall 2003). In the spring, summer and fall, its basically my daily driver so long as the weather is nice.

Ok, so what did it make and what does it have?

Here are the details on the build. I think it encompasses what a good, NA build should...every detail that needs addressing was addressed. Yes, there are things I can change to net even more power, and some of those will be explored going forward. My goal from the outset was to break 300 whp, to give me a good platform with which to really learn the black art secrets of NA power on the VQ.

So what does the motor build consist of:

Internals:

Weisco Pistons (.020 over stock)

Eagle rods

ARP rod bolts

Fully balanced and blueprinted - not only balanced as individual components, but also balanced as a rotating assembly

OE Nissan bearings

Full Ported and polished heads

5 angle valve job (stock Nissan valves)

Tomei 268 cams (268 duration, 10.5mm lift)

NISMO valvesprings

NISMO headgaskets

Lots of time spent porting stock, non rev up lower plenum -we logged over 100 hours between the heads and plenum, going off recommendations from MCR Japan, as well as things we found on our own.

Motordyne 1/4 inch spacer

Unorthodox underdriven crank pulley

New: water pump, rev up oil pump, idler pullies (OEM)

Final Compression checked in at 11.3:1

Misc Power Stuff:

Gruppe-M Carbon intake

3 inch MAF housing

Crawford headers

HKS DLI II

NGK Iridium Plugs (LFR6AIX-11_

Sun Hyper Ground

Fujitsubo Y pipe

Fujitsubo Legalis R Titanium exhaust

Resonated test pipes

Drivetrain:

OS Giken Super Single Clutch/Flywheel with Aluminum cover

3.9 final drive

Cusco RS LSD

NISMO finned diff cover

I think that covers it mod wise (engine related)

some pics of the motor:

adamenginenew3.jpg

adamengine1.jpg

Pics of the clutch (yes we balanced the clutch, and even the pulley, to 10k rpm)!

clutchbalanced.jpg

My old motor out of the car

newpicsengine2007.jpg

newpicsengine2005.jpg

Some pics of the assembled Motor (my favs...it looked so pretty on the stand)

adamnewengine1.jpg

adamnewenginew4.jpg

Ok ok ok...so what did it make?

Dyno Sheet:

This is on pump gas, done yesterday in Norwalk, CT. I've known the owner of "The Shop" for years, and he was good enough to fit us in on short notice right after the holiday. For those who don't know this place...you might remember a certain black 911 TT that duked it out with Turbo Tito (white 911 TT) back in the earlier days of import drag at E Town? The car is owned by the owner of "The Shop".....they do some insane builds there. Tuning was done by another good friend, Junior Barrios, whom I've also known for a long time. One of the best tuners I know, listens to exactly what you wants, and does it right. I have recommend a ton of our local NA and FI customers to him, and all have walked away with terrific results.

Anyway, here is the sheet:

adamdyno7-5med.jpg

As you can see from the sheet, it pulls very, very nicely, from about 3500 to redline, which is currently set at 8,000. The tune was done on pump gas. It also was insanely humid yesterday too, so I am looking forward to going back as we test more parts for the car, and hopefully get a bit cooler of a day with lower humidity, just to see the results

What does it feel like? Compared to where it was before (268 whp), it's a completely different animal! It pulls with reckless abandon to redline, and just loves to be rev'd out. Power is also very very linear...it just keeps pulling. The combination of the lightened internals, the lighter clutch (saved about 25 lbs there alone), the lighter pulley, and the 3.9 gears is an absolute BLAST!

Anyway, that's what I have to report so far. In the upcoming weeks I plan on testing a new throttle body, and I am very much looking forward to putting the Cosworth intake manifold through it's paces. I'm now determined to see what can really be unlocked from the motor having met the goal for round 1. My overal "cause" won't change...I want an absolutely streetable car, that runs on pump gas, with good driveability characteristics, but with a substantial increase in power. The NA game is very time consuming, as it takes alot more research, and sometimes alot more work than going FI, but I welcome the challenge, and hopefully, what we find will benefit the community as a whole. In addition to what you see above, the car has undergone a complete remodelling, with new wheels, new brakes, new body kit, and I'll be showing pics once the paintwork is complete (we're starting prep work this weekend with any luck). I am hopeful you guys will like the final result...as I picture it in my head, I think you will!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job chap, glad all the effort has paid off. Nice to see a non-FI build :thumbs:

Now that you have compeleted this part of the project, how much effort would it be to replicate it? Do you think it would take much less time as you've essentially done the developement of it and would just need to replicate it?

very good but for the money spent on it you'd have got well over those figures going FI although your goal wasn't HP related but more of a NA build over 300whp :D

but i guess you heard that one before :teeth:

well done and great write up

Thanks guys!

Yep, could have gone FI a long time ago. We stock the Greddy, Turbonetics kit and supply all the other popular ones from PE, APS, Vortech, etc. But, it's all been done before. There are, dare I say, "alot" of FI people out there in the Z modding world with nowadays, and the one thing I hate is having a "me too" setup. In fact, with all the work I have done, from the body work, to interior, suspension, etc, the one question I get asked everyday is "is it a turbo or supercharged". I love the look on people's faces when I tell them that it's all NA :) We sought to do something different - to build a car that is first and foremost well balanced, but one that remains civil and reliable for everyday use. I didn't want a dyno queen and I didn't want a show queen - I wanted a car as I envision NISMO themselves should/could have done from the outset.

Not only that, but I already own a high hp FI car (an older Z that puts down 594 to the wheels), so I wanted something different this time around, and figured we could make it a learning experience as well, by exploring the VQ engine from the inside out.

Nice :teeth:

Did sentry65 hit 350Whp on N/A before he went Vortech on my350z or did I dream that?

no one has been remotely close to 350 at the wheels yet. To date, myself, Ritchie and Jeremy (Florida based guy) have been the only ones to provide proof of 300 + whp.

Quick shot of the new engine cover we'll be offering soon!

done1yc3.jpg

I doubt it Minel, with the amount of money limiter has spent on his cars in the past in order to be different, this is something he is very much interested in doing, and should he go down this route, there will be no stopping him :thumbs:

Nice setup Adam looking very B)

well said bruv

I spent over 20k on my last stealth motor which would of blown most zeds out of the water !

done the turbo thing already and although they have monster torque i for some reason don't really want to go down that root even though it would be cheaper. B)

it is very tempting though i have to say :thumbs:

let us know how it goes limiter :thumbs:

PS £20k (which is a reasonable estimate once you start opening the engine) for 300whp is imo rather pointless but each to their own ;)

you'll surely be different, but way slower than a Z that's had spent that amount in TT form ;)

yeah only on the straights! I wanna have it as a track/road car.

also once you have had the tt conversion done by wrc's or who ever to 400bhp ,give it a few months and you know what it's not gonna be fast enough so you are gonna do the intarnals anyway.

when it comes to modifying your car if you can make it faster you always will.(as long as you got the dough.theres always a way if you want it enough)

400bhp is nothing as we know 600/700/800bhp now we are cooking :thumbs:

£20k get you 600+ hp limiter ;) and why on the straights only? track: turn the boost down (less issues with traction) and still have more than enough to eat you alive ;)

it's probably transpiring that I'm a FI supporter :teeth:

Adam, where's the BC stroker gone?? or has that been put back ? Was looking forward to some data on a stroker for NA