Random one, anyone involved in the Scout Association?

AliveBoy

As the title really, are any other forum members involved in the Scout Association in any way?

In the limited amounts of spare time I have I'm an Assistant Scout Leader for an explorer scout group in Woking District :)

I thought it might be good to share some ideas/plans with like minded people :lol:

*Edit: Spelling error :)

Edited by AliveBoy

I used to be a Sea Scout Leader.................but due to work commitments I had to give it up

my brother-in-law is an explorer leader in Brecon - he's heading off to Japan (I think) next year to help out with the Jamboree

I used to be a Sea Scout Leader.................but due to work commitments I had to give it up

my brother-in-law is an explorer leader in Brecon - he's heading off to Japan (I think) next year to help out with the Jamboree

I wanted to go to Japan so much, just couldn't afford it :(

Great organisation! My son was in the Boys Brigade from 4 to 21 years old. He got so much out of it including his duke of Edinburgh bronze, silver and Gold and his Queens badge!

When he went for his post grad teacher training interview they asked him all about it and he thinks that's what made the difference between him getting in and not.

• Like 2

Great organisation! My son was in the Boys Brigade from 4 to 21 years old. He got so much out of it including his duke of Edinburgh bronze, silver and Gold and his Queens badge!

When he went for his post grad teacher training interview they asked him all about it and he thinks that's what made the difference between him getting in and not.

We had 13 scouts in Woking district get their Queen Scout award this year, it's the highest number from any district at one time in the UK and 7 were from the unit I help at. As part of it they have to show improvement at a skill, so many take up new ones. One of the girls took up kayaking and is now in the junior team GB on track for the next olympics. It's amazing what they can do if pushed in the right way.

• Like 2

I attended an international camp in the late 70`s as a scout and i seem to remember it was on army training ground so probably aldershot way.

They found an unexploded bomb behind the latrines which was a classic.

We had no adults as such with us just some adventure scouts so we didn`t wash for a week it was total boyhood heaven.

• 1 month later...

Yes, officially Cub Scout Leader, although tend to cross over between all sections.

I focus on the outdoor skills, cant be doing with anything 'arts and crafts'.

Takes up way too much of my time but is incredibly rewarding.

It is astonishing how many kids have never even been camping, let alone climbing, kayaking, etc. and they just love the bushcraft and backwoods stuff (as do I).

Well done on the Queens Scout Awards - great result.

One of our Explorers / Young Leader got into Cambridge last year and they told him that he had got in due to his Scouting achievements - made him stand out and showed commitment.

• Like 2