Clutch squeak when the pedal comes up

ostego

Hi,

Been noticing a squeak when i bring the pedal up recently. It happens before it engages at the biting point.

I can sit there with the engine off, and press the pedal down and bring it up and i get this odd squeak, sounds liek the exact sound of a trainer skidding on a polished shop floor/basketball court.... originally i thought it was just because my shoes were wet slipping on the pedal.

Have had a lot of problems with the zed recently.... so just want to get this out of the way before i go asking the bank for more money..... is this a simple matter of spraying some oil/grease on a component? Or is this a sign that my clutch is about to die (this zed has made me pessimistic)

The seller supposedly had a new exedy clutch and flywheel fitted 4,000 miles ago, so cant imagine it is that, and there is no slippping and when i tested the clutch with 3rd gear starts and for slipping it seems fine.

Just want to know whether this is a common thing that may just need a bit of lube spraying (which i can hold off and wait till its MOT in April), or whether i should get it checked out?

It sort of sounds like its coming from the engine bay/wheel area if that helps

Thanks

Edited by ostego

When i have the windows closed I can hear it a lot less, it is only when the windows are down and I'm doing it stationary that i really notice it, so I wouldn't imagine it would be under the dash (excuse me if my logic is off here, am useless with cars!), but wouldn't that make it more or equally pronounced when the windows are up and I'm inside the car if it were coming directly from the pedal spring?

Edited by ostego

Does it only happen on a cold start? As I have a loud continuos squeaking sound especially in colder weather but it goes away after a few minutes..

It seems to always be present when I'm pulling up, not taking off. And I cant tell whether it is due to the warmer weather we have been having... but it seems to be more prominent in the heat rather than the cold.

Definately tend to notice it more once the car is warmed up, as it always bugs me when im pulling back onto my home estate

I had this when I first got the car so took it back to the garage, the mechanic there greased the master cylinder entry as that was dry and I've had no problems since - might be worth a try?

Sounds like a good lead! At least there havent been any "OH MY GOD!! Your car is about to blow up!" comments yet, which is promising and puts a bit of worries aside!

It sounds like the pivot mount on the clutch fork, where the slave cylinder is mounted on the side of the box. Try giving it a spray with some grease.

How exactly would I go about finding and identifying this part? Is it easily accessible from under the hood or under the car? And what sort of grease would be ok? WD40?

It sounds like the pivot mount on the clutch fork, where the slave cylinder is mounted on the side of the box. Try giving it a spray with some grease.

How exactly would I go about finding and identifying this part? Is it easily accessible from under the hood or under the car? And what sort of grease would be ok? WD40?

Bump ~ as it would be good to know the answer to this for other members. ;)

Is the squeak from inside the cabin? If so, is it not just the big spring in the footwell on the back of the clutch pedal? Mine used to squeak there, until I white lithium greased it in the face a few times.

Is the squeak from inside the cabin? If so, is it not just the big spring in the footwell on the back of the clutch pedal? Mine used to squeak there, until I white lithium greased it in the face a few times.

No it's from outside if you read ostego's post n#3.

I have a similar squeak that's just started recently presumably because of how wet the last few months have been and now it's drying up a bit. Definitely from outside and underneath the car.

No big deal just a bit annoying more than anything. If I can get to the offending pivot point without the need for a ramp then I'll sort it myself otherwise it'll have to wait till my MOT in May. :dry:;)

Edit: making peoples names up. :lol:

Edited by GMballistic

No it's from outside Dan if you read ostego's post n#3.

I have a similar squeak that's just started recently presumably because of how wet the last few months have been and now it's drying up a bit. Definitely from outside and underneath the car.

No big deal just a bit annoying more than anything. If I can get to the offending pivot point without the need for a ramp then I'll sort it myself otherwise it'll have to wait till my MOT in May. :dry:;)

Not sure who Dan is, but I hear you. I read "windows closed" but my brain said "windows open". :lol:

• Like 1

Drove back from work yesterday and no squeaks at all...... Seems to be an intermittent squeak on top of being an erroneous one!

Sort of glad to see its not just me though!

Have ordered new tyres for £250 online (saving me about £150!) and will get them fitted this week, then take it in for it's MOT the week after and ask them to investigate. The garage is owned by a mate so am sure they'll be honest about what/where the issue is!

**** dismantling the gear box, etc. for an intermittent clutch squeak!! Know this must be easily done with some lithium grease!

Edited by ostego