Write off or not? What do people think? Gutted isn't the word!!!

Easty

By looking at it is fixable, but insurance company is more likely to write it off.

I remember seeing RT performance fixing a similarly damage car.

Sorry to see this though

This, I had very similar damage in what looks like very similar circumstances and insurance wrote it off.

Mine was an 06 roadster though. The value to retain the vehicle was too high though and the car popped up on a eBay a few months later "repaired" and went for pretty much what I could've bought it back for.

Sad to see but start building your evidence for value. Don't forget unless you have your mods declared and insured they will only consider stock book price. Mine was totally standard so that made my life a little easier.

Oh and even though I pushed my insurers to repair it was down to the discretion of the other parties insurers to write off which really pee'd me off.

Good luck though

EDIT. I know it's difficult but treat it as a business transaction. It's easy to get emotional about the car and the fact you are effectively an innocent by stander to someone else's stupidity. I did with myself and my life suffered for a while as the other party was being a complete douche about it.

Edited by Fodder
  • Like 1

By looking at it is fixable, but insurance company is more likely to write it off.

Sorry to see this though

Let them right it off tell them you want to keep it .... They offer car back to you for like 10% or somthing of what it's worth I think then use the difference in money to fix it as cat c/d ... Then keep the difference in money or use it for mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can empathise. I had a fossil driving a pug 505 drive straight into my pulsar years back. I was gutted for days and days. Really sorry mate. I'd say a write off as others have said. Cost of panels and airbags + labour if you're not doing it yourself = ££££. so what did she have to say for herself?

Gutted for yer mate. At least your ok and its a straight forward blame to the other car.

Does anyone know if you can still get an agreed value repair ? as apposed to a full retail repair. Using secondhand air bag moduals etc to keep the price down so as not to get it written off.

Sorry to see this though

Let them right it off tell them you want to keep it .... They offer car back to you for like 10% or somthing of what it's worth I think then use the difference in money to fix it as cat c/d ... Then keep the difference in money or use it for mods

Not correct in my experience. They offered me to buy mine back at agreed price minus the cost of repairing which in my case worked out at about 60% of the book value.

The only way to make a profit would have been to strip and sell over time.

As I said it's also not your insurers decision on the write off it's down the other parties which can be a real pain as my insurers said they would have approved repair as it was mainly cosmetic (it would've needed putting on a jig to confirm though)

I'd be amazed if they offer you to buy back for 10% of its original value.

Sorry to see this though

Not correct in my experience. They offered me to buy mine back at agreed price minus the cost of repairing which in my case worked out at about 60% of the book value.

As I said it's also not your insurers decision on the write off it's down the other parties which can be a real pain as my insurers said they would have approved repair as it was mainly cosmetic (it would've needed putting on a jig to confirm though)

To be honest think they just make it up , my old fn2 civic worth between 6-8k crashed I brought it back for £800 ,

My mums car worth about 2k they said she can just have it back with no charge , my brothers car worth about 1500 said £120 for it back...... Wierd lol

I think they are a bit more savvy these days and price them at the value you have agreed minus the repair costs.

Yes you can get it done cheaper however it's not going to make sense to do so when the value of the car on the market is now less than the cost to buy back and repair due to cat c or d status.

The agreed value of mine was very close to 5 figures. I couldn't buy a replacement to my spec for that and I would've been out of pocket buying back and repairing so I let it go.

As I said it has to be treated as a business transaction with a clear head not a heavy heart.

• Like 1

Airbags have gone off , I'd be amazed if they don't write it off mate . Real shame too

Exactly my thoughts. Damage looks basically the same as Wasso's, but his airbags didn't deploy, probably saved his cars life to be honest otherwise on-top of the damage for paint, new door, new 1/4 panel they will need at least 2 new airbags (more if you/the original owner took the optional extra with door & A pillar airbags), new seatbelt pre-tensioners as they would have fired too and I cant remember if they have to reset the ECU that controls them but I believe it may be a replacement one of those too. :(

Sorry to see this though

To be honest think they just make it up , my old fn2 civic worth between 6-8k crashed I brought it back for £800 ,

My mums car worth about 2k they said she can just have it back with no charge , my brothers car worth about 1500 said £120 for it back...... Wierd lol

You spotting a trend here mate...lol

Airbags have gone off , I'd be amazed if they don't write it off mate . Real shame too

Exactly my thoughts. Damage looks basically the same as Wasso's, but his airbags didn't deploy, probably saved his cars life to be honest otherwise on-top of the damage for paint, new door, new 1/4 panel they will need at least 2 new airbags (more if you/the original owner took the optional extra with door & A pillar airbags), new seatbelt pre-tensioners as they would have fired too and I cant remember if they have to reset the ECU that controls them but I believe it may be a replacement one of those too. :(

Hmm, forgot about pre-tensioners. Any way of checking whether they've fired or is it an OBD job? And why would the airbag ECU need resetting or replacement?

Edited by Dynamic Turtle

Bah! Sorry to see your photos. I feel your pain. I had exactly the same thing happen to my old mr2 the day after I spent £700 on it getting it through it's MOT for one last year. You can be the best driver in the world but that doesn't mean someone else won't wreck your pride and joy.

Hope you don't lose out too badly.

Don

Do what anybody else would do.

Claim for whiplash. That'll cover the shortfall in what they pay you for your write off.

Its crap but thats how sh*t insurance is.

Sorry to see that m8 : (

I totally disagree. Why would you claim for an injury that you never had?

It's fraud and it's that attitude which does push up priced.

Btw my airbags didn't go off so I think you do need to prepare for the worst :(

Not up on zeds, but clios need to have the airbag ecu reset, there are people on ebay who do it.

Sorry about the car, hope the insurance company pay out the replacement cost rather than the 'market value'.

Well just so everyone know it's now officially a write off. . . . . .

Gutted for you but no surprise. Expect book price not replacement value.

Build your case now

Ye I know and the Azures seem to hold there money a little better than a few others colours. . . .

Think the cheapest one on auto trader at the moment it about £7500,

But I'm going to be expecting them to offer me about 4/5k ish :-(

Push them, get similar examples and what price it would cost to buy a similar spec/year/mileage. They go off the book price but if you show that replacing isn't realistic then they will hopefully negotiate.

sorry to see that mate bet you feel sick in your stomach . As for a write off insurance companies can be funny they see it as would it cost more to fix it than the cars worth but so long as there is no real structural like any places that add strengthening to the car you should be able to get it fixed