LOUD metallic squeal after new pads and discs

ostego

So just had new pads and discs with anti squeal shims fitted to the front.... have had discs and pads changed on previous cars so i know they will make a sound as they wear in.... but these seem to be making a REALLY loud sound constantly. Have only driven it 10 miles (and from my in car camera see the garage had a bit of fun "test driving" it for about 3 miles) but the noise is very loud and sounds like metalic... is this all normal, or should i be worried?

Check the metal plates behind the discs haven't been pulled against the disc or hub.

Feels fine from what i can tell, i can feel a sort of "cut off" rough thin plate behind the discs, that is cut off around where the brake calliper is. There seems to be ample space between this and the discs

Daft question, and I ask because I have known it to happen.... Are the pads in the right way round ?

Is there any scoring on the discs ?

Is it only noisy when you brake ?

Are there any metal filings around the caliper or inside the wheel rim ?

Edited by GIXXERUK

Daft question, and I ask because I have known it to happen.... Are the pads in the right way round ?

Is there any scoring on the discs ?

Is it only noisy when you brake ?

Are there any metal filings around the caliper or inside the wheel rim ?

Not sure if they're the right way round as i didn't fit them so can't really tell... can't see any scoring on the discs, nor metal filings.

The sound is constant however, not just when braking, but when driving, and it is very pronounced.

Think I'll take it back to them tomorrow after work.... but just want to verify first that this is not normal (?) as i know that they'll do the typical mechanic thing of "just give it a few days and it will be fine"... but i don't want to risk damage or brake failure just because they don't want to admit fault

It's not normal, Ive fitted hundreds of pads and discs

As above the dust guard would give a horrible loud noise if it's bent and touching the disc

Best of luck, post back what it is, may help someone in the future :thumbs:

Edited by GIXXERUK

Check the metal plates behind the discs haven't been pulled against the disc or hub.

Feels fine from what i can tell, i can feel a sort of "cut off" rough thin plate behind the discs, that is cut off around where the brake calliper is. There seems to be ample space between this and the discs

Personally and from other similar reported issues in the past, I would put this down to a lack of copper grease between the shims ( the thin plates you mention) and the back of the pads and the caliper/piston faces. And are you sure both sets of shims are in place?

See pics in the first post of this guide, and particularly those just over half way the pic sequence:

http://www.350z-uk.c...embo-pic-heavy/

Took it back to the garage today.... as people said, it was the dirt shield!

They've put it right.... could any damage have been done during the 15 miles i drove it in the bad condition? Don't want to find out later down the line that this has been a costly error

They've put it right.... could any damage have been done during the 15 miles i drove it in the bad condition? Don't want to find out later down the line that this has been a costly error

you should check the inside of the disc for scoring, hopefully it was touching the outer edge which would not cause and future problems :thumbs:

Nope, there wouldnt have been any damage as the shield usually is thin material and would just be rubbing on the disc slightly.

Very strange though that they managed to bend the shield. Im assuming you have brembo`s and they really are the easiest pads in the world to change. Literally a 5 minute job each wheel without even touching the shield.

regardless of everyone saying there wont be damage it's worth checking the disc and then if it's damaged you can have the garage replace it before it shapes the pad

these dust guards are a favourite for stones to get stuck behind, it makes a right racket

Edited by GIXXERUK

Nope, there wouldnt have been any damage as the shield usually is thin material and would just be rubbing on the disc slightly.

Very strange though that they managed to bend the shield. Im assuming you have brembo`s and they really are the easiest pads in the world to change. Literally a 5 minute job each wheel without even touching the shield.

pads and discs were replaced

pads and discs were replaced

Ah that explains it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Can't feel any scoring on the inside of the disc so looks all good!

Feels like the dirt shield is pretty bent all over, especially after they corrected their work! It's distance from the brake disc ranges from about 0.5cm to 2cm now! Hope that wont cause any harm

Was looking at my discs earlier... and saw this odd dip on the inside of one of the discs

Www.imgur.com/pRlEVwj

Surely this couldnt be due to the dirt shield as otherwise it would be all around the disc... anyone know what could have caused this... and whether it is dangerous? Am meant to pay them tomorrow, but will hold it back if this is something they could have caused.... just cant work out how they could have caused this

Edited by ostego

Was looking at my discs earlier... and saw this odd dip on the inside of one of the discs

Www.imgur.com/pRlEVwj

http://imgur.com/OU43bz8

Surely this couldnt be due to the dirt shield as otherwise it would be all around the disc... anyone know what could have caused this... and whether it is dangerous? Am meant to pay them tomorrow, but will hold it back if this is something they could have caused.... just cant work out how they could have caused this

pic not showing for me

I can't see the image but are you sure its not from balancing the disc... :)

Have just read up about balancing and the cleanly carved mark is uniform on both sides of the inside... so looks like thats the ticket! Thanks mate