Twin Turbo or Supercharger???

Mike_89

Gents / Ladies,

I need some advice on either going the TT or SC route. I have been in contact with a company about the APS TT Kit, but have been informed that APS are no longer producing this kit anymore.

If anybody can give me some advice it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Pros and cons for both but either way expensive. What are your power/torque goals?

What do you plan to use the car for? Are you planning to keep the engine stock or rebuilding with forged parts?

I went supercharged to mirror the std cars torque and power curve for easy track and fast road driving. Also the SC makes less heat so easier on the engine and cooler AITs eventhough you can mitigate this by getting a midmount or rear mounted turbo kit.

In anycase do your research well on here and US forums and decide which suits your needs and budget👀

Also what year is your car as it limits your choices of kits😉

My power goals are not massive, I am looking at something around 400bhp not 100% on torque though, just as long as the car is drivable and is able to put the power down. The car will be mainly for show, but will use for fast road. I will be changing the clutch and if I need to uprate internals to cope with the added power then yes, as I would still like it to be relatively reliable.

My car is a 2005 reg.

id say for your goals supercharging would be ideal. what kills these motors is mid range torque as it bends the conrods, turbos produce alot of mid-range torque and superchargers are gradual, producing most up top so easier on the engine. your engine can safely run around 400whp on standard internals with a supercharger but much more than that youre going to need to go forged. im not sure how much standard with the TT setup as the amount of torque they produce is too much so have to run low boost which is pretty pointless imo if youre spending all that money. either way though its for you to decide what you want but either way is not going to be cheap

Looks like you can go both ways for that power goal. The engine will be ok with 400whp and under 400lbft torque. The turbo will make more torque. They both will require the same kind of supporting mods.

Since is just show and fast road driving I'll go SC as its simpler to install. Me and the lads have done a few now so we can help.

Budget wise SC would be the best option as you can get away with std internals if you keep the power/torque pretty modest, I personally wouldn't trust the std motor past 380BHP 350ftlb myself, people do push it to more by its your choice,

if you go TC then your looking at a rebuild, as you will really need to go forged pistons and uprated rods, also lower the compression ratio, to make the most of it, so it will be more expensive.

Feel wise SC power delivery will be far more liner, and TC will give you more drama.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to time they do pop up on the US forums, some used, some new, never fitted. Keep an eye there.

I spoke to the UK Supplier (who used to sell this kit) and they had said that APS no longer sell products or this kit.

The kits do pop up every now then. They are rare and they do go quick