what new car?

flamez

I'm a bit bored of my 350z

I advertised it on here a few months ago but I havent bumped the thread since as i dont really know what i want to replace it with.

If I had the money to throw i'd probably get an audi R8 or a gt3 with my heart or a bmw 1m with my sensible head on.

I can't seem to find anything that looks as good and is reliable and cheap to insure as the 350 in my price range.

I drove a couple of e46 m3s and liked the engine

m3 plus points

good power band high revs

better body kit and wheels than standard model

comes with LSD

has a spare wheel well

bad points

the coupe is very expensive to insure, so id have to get a cab which would mean less boot space and added weight and reduced stiffness

suffers from a few known issues including subframe failure and vanos

doesnt look as good as my car

335i and 135i are meant to be fast but I couldn't really get the revs up on it on test drive to tell,

plus points

easy power upgrade

cheap insurance

4 seats and goot boot space

cheaper tax

economical

bad points

look like regular bmws

no LSDs

turbo and fuel pump issues

come with runflats and no spare wheel well (i have terrible luck with getting punctures)

looks a bit crap

996 look crap inside and turbo model didn't excite me when I had it for a week.

Cayman s Ims failure. And I kinda want a 2+2

So I'm thinking compromise on looks and get 135i then mod it with an LSD

Or e46 m3 cab and wait for the subframe to fail or engine problems Lol

What else is there?

Edited by flamez

There are currently 386,411 cars listed for sale on Autotrader. Any one of those could be your new car (minus the 228 350z's).

Give us a budget and what you want from it and we may be able to narrow it down ;)

TVR

I really like the look of them but they are definately not reliable

RS4?

Or TTS/TTRS for 2+2?

RS4 i think will feel too big and heavy

TTS is doable, looks good, back seats, reasonable on fuel, I'll add that to test drive list, but I didnt really consider them as they're mainly FWD haldex and not that powerful

There are currently 386,411 cars listed for sale on Autotrader. Any one of those could be your new car (minus the 228 350z's).

Give us a budget and what you want from it and we may be able to narrow it down ;)

budget 10-15k

looks good

fast

fun

not too big

good handling (pref RWD)

reliable

20ish mpg

Pref back seats even if small ones

TTRS, M3, RS4, C4S, VXR8, etc etc

is the c4s engine reliable, and is the NA engine more fun than turbo?

I'm not keen on the interior or boot space though tbh, I'd like to fit a decent size subwoofer as well

Edited by flamez

If a 996TT doesn't excite you, I'm not sure what will. Granted, the interior is challenging, but the drive is immense. And the Mezger!

Tiv Cerb? Get a sorted one and you'll be okay, at least as good as an E46 M3 in terms of costs at least.

• Like 1

If a 996TT doesn't excite you, I'm not sure what will. Granted, the interior is challenging, but the drive is immense. And the Mezger!

Tiv Cerb? Get a sorted one and you'll be okay, at least as good as an E46 M3 in terms of costs at least.

I had a 996TT manual for a week I took it racing on a private road, I obliterated the remapped e46 m3 I was up against, its very very fast but dull at the same time its hard to explain, but

I'm comparing it to driving an R8 V8 and e46 m3 both are slower than the 996tt but 'feel' more exciting to throttle and make better noises.

I also had the new e93 m3 for a long weekend in summer and i preferred the older e46 m3 to that as well.

TVR Cerbera 4.5: http://www.autotrade...14000?logcode=p

Maserati 3.2: http://www.autotrade...s/200?logcode=p

Any good Op? :dry:;)

I know someone who had a cerb he loved it but said everything that could go wrong with it did! and the maser is fugly lol

RX8!

my neighbour had one and said he preferred my z to it, do you think its better than the 350?

Edited by flamez
  • Like 1

RX8 is not better than the 350Z imho. ;)

I wouldn't say a 335 or 135 is either, but their on the OPs list regardless. Besides, he didn't ask for better! :lol:

not in standard form anyway, I'm thinking 135i modded should be better fun than 335i, bit of turbo tuning and LSD should see closer to 400bhp and improved handling.

its looking like either 135i modded or standard e46 m3 cab then...

See, I find any non-M cars to be dull places to be, regardless of turbo and LSD (a car doesn't need one to be fun, y'know), and couldn't see a 135i of any power output this side of 500bhp to be fun. A good 1M yes, or the E46 M3, but not the shopping trolley models.

Still great cars, don't get me wrong, but if I was buying as a fun car I'd want a little pizazz to go with the (probably) grey car. :)

My friend has the 351i and I can't not compliment it enough, he needed to drive it for a couple of days to appreciate it. He used to have an s2000. It has so much boost but in all the right places. It's instant at the lights and catches out motorbikes. Very good car for 30 odd k. But second hand... I'd love an r8 but wouldn't everyone? V10? Might cost a tad.

RX8 is not better than the 350Z imho. ;)

I wouldn't say a 335 or 135 is either, but their on the OPs list regardless. Besides, he didn't ask for better! :lol:

not in standard form anyway, I'm thinking 135i modded should be better fun than 335i, bit of turbo tuning and LSD should see closer to 400bhp and improved handling.

its looking like either 135i modded or standard e46 m3 cab then...

Just make sure you have plenty of £££ saved up for repairs...my 335i has done less than 50K, and just over 5 years old, in the last 12 months I've spent about £1.5K in repairs (Auto transmission leak needing new transmission oil, new fuel pump and new water pump), and thats running the car in stock trim 90% of the time. Its not unusual for a N54 cars to start throwing up all kinds of engine management problems once you start upping the boost, and than things get really expensive you have to start replacing injectors etc....and don't forget the N54 didn't come with enough standard cooling stock, so if your going to up the boost your need a bigger oil cooler (which I'm in the process of having fitted).

Don't get me wrong my 335i is by far the best car I've owned, superior to my old 350Z in nearly every way and as with my current car in its current form I cannot think of anything I would replace it with.

Mine is now quick (too quick really when running an aggressive map, roughly 380bhp), comfortable (am running after market suspension, the stock M sport stuff is shocking), handle well (again had to change the stock ARBs, and add a LSD), and relatively economical. The fact it looks like a 320D is a bonus for me......but if I added up all the money I've spent on mods+original car I could have very easily bought a M3 (but that was never a option for me)....If fact the rubbish reliability of the 335 has pretty much put me/my family off buying another German car ever again, I'm clearly going to keep the 335 long long time yet, but when the time comes I'll be PX it for a nice reliable Japanese car :D.

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1