Whats the general concensus of opinion on......

toffeeman

......tyres?

I've realised how crap my OEM Bridgestones are and am looking to replace all four tyres to get some grip. I've done a search and found surprisingly little opinion on tyres.

Is there a standout winner when it comes to tyres on a Zed? I'm not particularly loyal to any tyre brand so would consider anything. I've seen a couple of people on here praise their Toyo's, are there any others?

Craig.

There is nothing wrong with Ayesha's shoes :angry:;)

Lol, i was going down the toyo route if i was going to get some new ones.

Have you been driving her hard? :teeth:

No, not to hard :teeth: . The service I had done picked up the the front pads and front tyres would need changing later this year so I'm looking ahead and will probably change all pads and all tyres in a few months. I'm still trying to decide which pads, probably Ferodo DS2500. They seem to get good reviews.

michelin pilot sports will give you unbelievable improvement in handling and increase cornering G capability (in the wet also...) compared to the bridgestones...

i don't have information on Toyos to say if they are better than MPS .

but i bet they aren't... :p:boxing:

I've gone from Bridgestones to Michelin Pilot Sport's on the Bimmer and they are in another league for grip both wet and dry.. :thumbs:

and thats the important thing. Not what they cost :thumbs:

If money's no object to you, otherwise Falkens. :thumbs:

I've gone from Bridgestones to Michelin Pilot Sport's on the Bimmer and they are in another league for grip both wet and dry.. :thumbs:

Of course mate, just pointing out that the MPS will actually be the better tyre if cost is taken out of the equation. Bring it back in, then yes the Falken package will be an excellent proposition to a lot of owners, but like most things there are too many variables to give a definitive answer :)

Of course mate, just pointing out that the MPS will actually be the better tyre if cost is taken out of the equation. Bring it back in, then yes the Falken package will be an excellent proposition to a lot of owners, but like most things there are too many variables to give a definitive answer :)

I'd be interested to hear Adam's input on this sort of question. Unlike most of us he's driven on lots of different combinations.

I know that plenty of us have gone from completely shot 'Stones to whatever brand we then went for and, guess what, we thought they were @*!# hot!

Nothing wrong with Bridgestones IMHO. They are are high mileage hard tyre so not the best for grip. I expect my MPS will wear much quicker on the other hand.

I do agree that it's a good idea to get an oppinion on the tires you are considering, but preferably on the car in question. My personal experience is that Toyo Proxes offer a good balance of price performance, I've got them on the Cossie and had them on a Scooby. Never experienced Falkens so can't comment.

Once you add in grip, cost, sidewall strength, mileage, compound and other factors it becomes unquantifiable (sp) :)

People need to pick out which one of those attributes is most important. For me it was grip. For others it will be mileage or cost etc............

I have toyos and I'm pleased with them. They offer plenty of wet and dry grip and although the sidewalls aren't as firm as the 'stones they are good enough for my spirited driving.

I can't comment on the falkens or MPS as I haven't tried these.

Have spent most of my time driving on Yoko's / Falkens / Toyos. Of all I'd say the Yoko's have the best grip (but not available for 18" Zed wheels), Falkens were good and the Toyo's sit in the middle. Had them on mine for 6 months now and they're great. Quieter than the Bridgestones too. :)

I changed from Bridgestones to MPS about 3 weeks ago. The Michelin's have improved the ride and have much better grip in the wet, but the handling has changed. Michelins have a softer sidewall and I drive on lots of 'B' roads and in the dry initial turn in doesn't seem as sharpe as with the Bridgestones. It has been mainly wet since putting them on so not really had much dry running.

I may be wrong but seem to remember the tread wear number on the Bridgestones to be 120 the MPS are 220 so you would think the Bridgestones were softer/grippier.

My recommendation would depend on the use you put your car to, if daily driver in all weather conditions i would say MPS if mainly used weekend or dry stick with the Bridgestones (awaits flaming)

I changed from Bridgestones to MPS about 3 weeks ago. The Michelin's have improved the ride and have much better grip in the wet, but the handling has changed. Michelins have a softer sidewall and I drive on lots of 'B' roads and in the dry initial turn in doesn't seem as sharpe as with the Bridgestones. It has been mainly wet since putting them on so not really had much dry running.

I may be wrong but seem to remember the tread wear number on the Bridgestones to be 120 the MPS are 220 so you would think the Bridgestones were softer/grippier.

My recommendation would depend on the use you put your car to, if daily driver in all weather conditions i would say MPS if mainly used weekend or dry stick with the Bridgestones (awaits flaming)

I agree with you wrt sidewall. Loved the RE040 sidewall strenght.