closed in car trailer...

andlid

Hello, a bit lost in trailer towing country and seek some help!

Following on my parting Z thread I'm toying with the idea of towing this car and my bike behind a BMW 5 series (+2006). Now I'm trying to get something where I can put the bike and the car into. Preferring to have a closed box type so I can get some boxes and bits in there too!

Any ideas of brands, prices e.g? I'm probably going to pick both the BMW and the trailer in Germany ( if that makes sense)

Any help to save the Z from the knife word be greatly appreciated!

My mate says 'Brian James' car transporter trailers are the best. (also blooody expensive)

His is not a box but open and it's 4 wheel. Tows a dream. You have to remember it's there. :blush:

Side note and I could be wrong, check your licence re weights you can tow. (I'm mega old so can drive tanks and tow all sorts of stuff :lol: )

Good call on the towing weight :( I swapped my license in Ireland and can only tow 750kg !!!

Also, what the car can tow. A boxed in trailer would be around 800kg minimum, the z would be 1400kg +/- and the bike would add to that, depending on pedal or motor powered? So the gross weight would be over the 2000kg maximum braked tow weight of the 5 series

My mate says 'Brian James' car transporter trailers are the best. (also blooody expensive)

Another vote for Brian James, also Blue Line do some nice trailers, although in both cases ive only ever used & owned the non enclosed type. Price wise, which ever one you go for wont be cheap, although if you buy one 2nd hand you`ll find it will hold its value really well, so if you need to sell in the future your unlikely to loose anything on them.

Now, we can't tell what caused the fish tail, but carrying too much weight can end really badly:

5 series towing a 3 series.

Ouch! Travelling too fast on the autobahn probably and not knowing how to handle a wobble.

That accident looked like they drove to fast... been in a car that that has happened too.. didn't end as bad but wanted out of the car after it started tailing twice!

So the 5 series that I'm looking at can tow 2100 in braked form. I can on my license have no more the 3500 in total weight but adding and subtracting it looks to me that it's dangerously close to 100% of the maximum weight that I'd be allowed to tow and also what the car can/will take. Might look into the BE license unless it requires stupid amount of time and €. I looked at some of the Brian James range and they're AWESOME! :scare:

If I can't get a decent closed in one (they're expensive...) it needs to be a dual carriage one like the one below:

bike_car_closeup.jpg

I'm going to fire off a mail to Brian James and see what they say ;)

Have you looked at Indespension? Another trailer manufacturer. http://www.indespension.co.uk/

Worked for them some time ago and they do used trailers which can sometimes be a right bargain. They can also ship the used trailers in between branches too so even if it's not near you they can almost always get it close to you. ;)