Tesco Standard Unleaded Vs Momentum

Darren350

In case you can't find the answer by searching, either here or on Google, cargo nets from Poundland or Aldi are just as good as the overpriced 'genuine' Nissan ones - and being lighter they improve your fuel consumption, allowing you to afford Tesco Momentum.

imho

• Like 2

Don't rev above 4000 rpm if you have to use standard unleaded and drive smoothly, I think it's okay if you keep it below this but obviously best to use super. I had to use FuelSave the other day cos my Shell had run out of the good stuff!

Not noticed any performance differential between 97 or tesco 99 but the later seems to give fractionally better mpg. Also, doesn't the ecu need several tanks of fuel before it "recalibrates" the fuel map to optimise whatever octane it's being fed?

Did you read the first page? :rant:

I did and I have no idea what you are on about. :headhurt:

Does anyone actually know if a Zed can advance ignition timing to make the most of higher octane fuel? If it cant (which I suspect) then anything over 99 RON isnt actually going to make any difference to performance, despite what your arse dyno is telling you, the only car Ive ever had that adjusted timing up and down depending on fuel quality was a Saab 9000 and that was damn trick at the time.

Ecu will not re program itself. The 350z is only designed to run on 98+ Ron. Yes it's only one Ron different but it's not the right stuff. We know that 95 is definitely wrong and what can happen but I'd have thought even 97 would create issues, albeit at a slower rate.

1. 97 RON doesnt cause any problems, Ive been running it for years on track, drifting, all sorts.

2. I think you misunderstood my post. The ECU will retard the ignition timing if it senses knock occurring (the sign of lower octane fuel) but I dont believe it advances the timing if it senses 101 RON, for instance, and if its not changing the timing then its unlikely theres any benefit being gained rfom running 100+ RON :)

It'd be nice to see some hard Iata to support peoples opinions about fuel here.

For every bit of date supporting opinions you will find some data against, thats just the way of the web!

Its like for example, dont buy fake bride seats cause their dangerous, I would bet there Is not one person in britain who has been hurt from a fake bride seat. Scare mongering at its best which is perpetuated on the web.

Rotary engines is another, sure they have a lifespan but you would be shocked by some of the comments I used to get during my ownership from people with no experience of ownership, just what they had read on the internet!

Its also worth mentioning that unless remapped jdm imports will be designed to run on 100 ron, mine is a jdm and done some 40k miles in the uk with no ill effect! ;)

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

Ecu will not re program itself. The 350z is only designed to run on 98+ Ron. Yes it's only one Ron different but it's not the right stuff. We know that 95 is definitely wrong and what can happen but I'd have thought even 97 would create issues, albeit at a slower rate.

1. 97 RON doesnt cause any problems, Ive been running it for years on track, drifting, all sorts.

2. I think you misunderstood my post. The ECU will retard the ignition timing if it senses knock occurring (the sign of lower octane fuel) but I dont believe it advances the timing if it senses 101 RON, for instance, and if its not changing the timing then its unlikely theres any benefit being gained rfom running 100+ RON :)

From Jez @ Horsham...

"The ECU will only react to knock up to about 5.2k - if it knocks a lot in that rev and load area the ECU will switch over to the low octane maps which have around 2-3 degs less ignition advance. So you still get less advance over 5.2k if the engine is in high knock mode.

The amount of knock required to get the ECU to switch to high knock mode is still quite significant - so damage could be done before the engine switches maps. Also, pulling 2-3 degs out of the ignition map isn't really that much if you're going from 99 to 95 RON fuel.

So, I agree - run the car on 98/99 RON and if you have to run 95 then drive gently and refill with higher octane fuel asap."

hope that helps.

Edited by The Bounty Bar Kid

Third and final time of trying here - In not asking about the knock sensor retarding ignition because of lower RON fuel (we all known it does that), Im talking about it advancing ignition because it detects higher RON fuel. If the ECU doesnt do this you could put 120 RON fuel into the car and it wouldnt make any difference, so youre wasting your money buying anything over 99 RON :)

For every bit of date supporting opinions you will find some data against' date=' thats just the way of the web![/quote']

Opinions, yes, facts, no ;)

Its undeniable that a car that is mapped to use 99 RON fuel, for instance, is considerably more likely to suffer knock if its run on 95 RON - as with most things in life you cant definitively say it will happen, or when but its a given. :)