am i asking too much?

lbeddowscbr

So ive been looking for a 350z for a while now and nothing is jumping out at me.

This is my criteria:

Pre 56 Plate (tax reasons)

Black, Blue, Orange or Gun metal

Upto 70,000 miles on the clock

Gt pack preferably

Under £7000

am i barking up the wrong tree?

now i know there are a few cars out there but there are things not right about some e.g distance from me (warrington)

Good luck with the search - sure you'll find a nice zed soon :thumbs:

Also, maybe just a typo in your post but you'll need a pre-06 plate to be sure of being in the lower tax band. '06s registered before 23/3/06 are ok, but after that and you're looking at £475 for 12 months road tax (mine is the wrong side of this date by a few days!).

Go and see a bunch of cars that are local.. even if they are beyond your price bracket or not what you are after.. i went to see loads of cars to get an idea of what to listen for and how it felt.. although you cant always drive it just seeing one in the flesh will defo help you get a feel for a good one when you see it.

Let the seller do the talking i learnt loads from talking to owners and they where very helpful. it also helped me spot a Bad car once because the rear shock was knocking really bad... i had seen a car the week before with the very same problem only the first guy was very open and said he would get it fixed but the second guy gave me a bunch of excuses.

You should also have a better idea if a car is worth traveling for then.. i was waiting to go see a car four hours away from me with cash ready but the guy never answered his phone... pretty gutted i didn't see it but it wasn't meant to be.

hope this helps..

your price is bang on just be patient!

happy hunting

might it be the wrong time of year? the middle of winter isnt a brilliant time to be buying cars, especially sports coupes.

saying that, your requirements seem perfectly reasonable to me, mine would have met all your requirements and was £200 underbudget, 2 years ago!

Go and see a bunch of cars that are local.. even if they are beyond your price bracket or not what you are after.. i went to see loads of cars to get an idea of what to listen for and how it felt.. although you cant always drive it just seeing one in the flesh will defo help you get a feel for a good one when you see it.

Not sure I agree with time wasting to be honest, it's okay if you go to a dealer to test drive as that's the whole purpose.. but to take up a private persons morning so you can have a nose about a car you've got no intention to buy?

'Hello mate, calling about the car'

'Oh yeah..?'

'Okay to come and look at it? I've got zero intention of buying it as it's too expensive... But can I still come and waste your time?'

What do you think the next thing the seller would say is?

I agree.. i didn't mean for it to sound like that... i went to see one private owner about his car but it was a cloth interior (not on my list of wants) but i went anyway thinking i could possible be swayed by the price and although he did offer to drop his price i didn't go for it because he blatantly lied to me about the shock..

Also i drove about 70miles to see this car so if anyone was going be upset about walking away it had to be me. I went to see loads of zeds at garages in and around Manchester and many where absolute sheds in side and out.. all i was getting at was it makes it a lot easier to decide on a 'good' car when you have seen a few 'bad' ones right? when i went to see me car i was pretty sure i had made a good choice so i was very comfotable buying it... Tyre kicking is not cool but if you have to see 100 cars to know the first one was defo the right deal then i have to see its a must.. Its a lot of money at the end of the day

I agree.. i didn't mean for it to sound like that... i went to see one private owner about his car but it was a cloth interior (not on my list of wants) but i went anyway thinking i could possible be swayed by the price and although he did offer to drop his price i didn't go for it because he blatantly lied to me about the shock..

Also i drove about 70miles to see this car so if anyone was going be upset about walking away it had to be me. I went to see loads of zeds at garages in and around Manchester and many where absolute sheds in side and out.. all i was getting at was it makes it a lot easier to decide on a 'good' car when you have seen a few 'bad' ones right? when i went to see me car i was pretty sure i had made a good choice so i was very comfotable buying it... Tyre kicking is not cool but if you have to see 100 cars to know the first one was defo the right deal then i have to see its a must.. Its a lot of money at the end of the day

But then you have the intention to buy it as you have the money available, a bit different really. If you go to see 100 cars and 99 of them are sheds but are all in your price range then that's totally fine. It was the part about going to view cars out of your price range I didn't agree with :)

Maybe if there is a car quiet a distance but you really would consider it maybe worth asking if anyone is local to give it a once over before you make a trip yourself. Some of the folk here are very helpful.

+1

Do this if the distance is to far. Welcome to the forum btw :wave:

ok, i get that, but when i went to see my car it was a lot more expensive than what i paid.. sometimes punching a 'little' higher can sometime be good for you.

Im not saying thousands more but the car i drive today started 3 grand above my budget.. i moved my budget up and the seller came down.. I even told him before the view that i was still saving.

Yes... i would be annoyed if it was a duff sale but the truth is you never really know.. Like i said i even told some people i had no intention to buy as i was still saving.. some where happy for me to come look anyway.. just depends really.

I was looking for about 4 months and limited myself to about 150 miles.

Even that distance seriously limits your choice, especially living in SW Wales as its a zed desert down here :tumbleweed:

Eventually found one over Christmas in Chester (250 mile round trip)

This is supposed to be a bad time of year for buying & selling, but worked out well for me.

I would of thought Warrington was a good place to be, right on the M network near Lpool & Mnchester

You just need to be patient, and be prepared to travel when one pops up

Book a week off work if you can and view as many as you can within the first 3 or 4 days. You'll then have an idea of which car you want. Day 5 or 6 pick the car up. Day 7 enjoy the car!

That's what I had to do. Funnily enough my criteria was similar to yours, I wanted a pre 2006 Gun Metal with under 70K. Ended up with a 2004 GT in black with 117K on the clock for £4550 haha

I do suggest not letting high mile cars put you off, I seen some complete dogs with 60k on the clock. Mine has FNSH with every invoice from new. Plus black on black looks great.

Edited by Darren350