The overheating probelm that has baffled the Zed Shed

laidbackluke

Yeah Bennet must have wrote the instructions for changing glow plugs on a seat (remove the cylinder head to access the glow plugs....... WTF) I thought it was going to be a 30min job & it ended up taking 55mins :bang: it was almost as if Bennet was here arguing about how it should be done :bang: :bang:

My guess too Dazza that's as it looks like everything is kosher its an airlock.

It can be painful to get rid but I've devised a few techniques and get it right 1st time now.

Fill up slowly with coolant with the posterior bleed nipple open.

When it appears full keep squeezing the pipes sequentially to get some more air out and keep topping up until rad full and replace cap.

Final trick is to raise the rear of the car to make he posterior nipple the highest point on the system.

Fill now will funnel slowly through the nipple while still squeezing pipes intermittently until full. Close nipple

Now start the car and up to temp and put on heating to circulate coolant and more air. While this is happening intermittently bleed the nipple until no more air.

Level out the car and open rad to too up if necessary.

Go for a good spin and repeat the process. Should be job done.

I replace coolant yearly and also use the 2.3bar car to pressurize the system more.

Why not just forget the pipes and squeeze the nipples instead?! :)

Just a quick update guys.

This morning the temp gauge rose to a touch under the overheating level then dropped off, it did this a good few times on the drive to work, with no hot air coming through the cabin.

I know this is a common symptom of an airlock however we bled the system again without the thermostat in and it was running fine with hot air coming into the cabin.

odd question i know but is there something that would cause an airlock to reoccur?

I don't think jacking the back up is going to make much difference, when y0u fill the system you are always going to get a some air in the system, so long as you have the heater set to hot & fill the system slowly you should eliminate most of it. The rest of it should find it's own way out through the expansion tank. As the temp rises the air in the system will rise in pressure & ill be released into the expansion tank & when the system cools water/coolant will be sucked back in

Ifabricate! That's the theory of it and everyone foes it this way but they still have stubborn airlock issues! The water galleries are very convoluted so the is always some air trapped witching the system.

The devise Dblock posted up works quite well and I could find it in the UK a while back. My method works and serves me well for years now.

I have considered a breather tank but can't find the space to put it as this is the ultimate way to get an airless coolant system.

So I don't see your point when its obvious that the SOP does not always work.

• Like 1

I can only add to what's already been said. Airlock.

When my previous car had a rad leak, the garage who investigated ordered the parts and filled up the res but did no bleeding (but they didn't tell me this...), I did about 2 miles before the needle was way into the red zone and the car interior was freezing(this being November last year). Ended up bleeding it best I could in Waitrose car park in the pouring rain...Some choice words were uttered that day.

There were still airlocks in the system as the coolant level dropped loads, I ended up running inside and buying a 1 ltr bottle of water to top it up (was getting rad replaced the next day so didn't care what went in it) but I still had no heating all the way home but temps were more normal.

I think most modern cars are difficult to bleed properly for some reason.

Edited by cs2000

I don't think jacking the back up is going to make much difference, when y0u fill the system you are always going to get a some air in the system, so long as you have the heater set to hot & fill the system slowly you should eliminate most of it. The rest of it should find it's own way out through the expansion tank. As the temp rises the air in the system will rise in pressure & ill be released into the expansion tank & when the system cools water/coolant will be sucked back in

Ifabricate! That's the theory of it and everyone foes it this way but they still have stubborn airlock issues! The water galleries are very convoluted so the is always some air trapped witching the system.

The devise Dblock posted up works quite well and I could find it in the UK a while back. My method works and serves me well for years now.

I have considered a breather tank but can't find the space to put it as this is the ultimate way to get an airless coolant system.

So I don't see your point when its obvious that the SOP does not always work.

I know your method works but I got mine off eBay recently? I can send you the link?

I've used something like this. The hose goes back in the top to burp out air. Never had a problem so far.

385_funnel1.JPG

Where can you get that from what issit called?

Il get you the link when I'm on the pc mate :thumbs:

Thanks man i can see it as a good longterm investment the amount of headache from this airlock business!!

Well....we worked out what it is....head gasket :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aww mate dont tell me that! Iv just driven her 2hours with no overheating and temp coming through fine in the cabin.. Would you mind pm me how much it cost to fix and what was involved?

Aww mate dont tell me that! Iv just driven her 2hours with no overheating and temp coming through fine in the cabin.. Would you mind pm me how much it cost to fix and what was involved?

I'll keep you updated mate

Im doing an oil change on monday to see if theres anything leaked in with it.. how long do you drive before it overheats in yours?

Im doing an oil change on monday to see if theres anything leaked in with it.. how long do you drive before it overheats in yours?

A matter of seconds mate