Bubbling quarter panel

Shaun1982

Been a while since I've posted on here,mainly due to staying away from any want to spend on the car until the wedding is paid for. Annnyyywwayyy take a look at what I noticed when I got home, now I've got a bubbly bonnet around the front & drivers edge then this decides to join the party :thumbsdown:

ve6enyve.jpg

daryhanu.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

More annoyingly is this 1/4 was painted last year for a tiny bubble on the outer lip, you can just see it's back too in the second photo, I was told that it wasn't actually rust after it had been taken to bare metal. Nothing inside or on top so it was treated in & out & primed etc, then kept showing up as a little dot.

Eventually it didn't show through & had been fine since, now these have decided to join :@

I had a blister done on my rear arch last year and it came back after a month despite the body shop saying they had cut out and added new metal ( turned out to be a lie ) . Had it redone somewhere else and insisted on photos of the repair at every stage so I could see the new metal . not come back through since. ( they did f#*k the paint up 4 times though and it's just black!) :lol:

• Like 1

Bonnet paint bubbling is a known issue and there has been successful warranty claims - e.g.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/55556-perforation-warranty-success-beforeafter-pics/page__hl__bonnet

Doubt the rear wing would be covered though given what you say about previous repair work, unless it was done by a Nissan dealer perhaps......

Mine actually has a small blister there in exactly the same place Shaun1982. Tbh it's not too bad considering the cars ten years old.

Will get it sorted soon ~ guessing it will be something like £50-£100 to sort it at a reputable body shop so not too bad. :thumbs:

I had a blister done on my rear arch last year and it came back after a month despite the body shop saying they had cut out and added new metal ( turned out to be a lie ) . Had it redone somewhere else and insisted on photos of the repair at every stage so I could see the new metal . not come back through since. ( they did f#*k the paint up 4 times though and it's just black!) :lol:

They are C()nt$, they mostly say whatever just to get you out the shop and have taken your money. Pain in the ass mate but best to take it somewhere who will actually fix it rather than take your money and conceal it :thumbs:

• Like 1

Mine actually has a small blister there in exactly the same place Shaun1982. Tbh it's not too bad considering the cars ten years old.

Will get it sorted soon ~ guessing it will be something like £50-£100 to sort it at a reputable body shop so not too bad. :thumbs:

Mine wasn't bad either really, a few mm that's all, wish I hadn't bothered now though.

They guy who painted it I know so he's not fobbing me off with a dodgy story, on top of that I'm a prepper too so I have a good idea what's what lol.

Been contemplating selling up recently, I do love the z but I don't use it much & the other half moans about having to do all the driving when we take the dog out etc lol.

Most definitely can't afford to have this sorted & the front end painted too. In an ideal world I'd keep it as is & put bags on it but that won't happen.

Zed anyone? Lol

If your not happy and fancy a change then maybe you should sell the Zed but I don't think you should sell it just because it's got a few bubbles of rust. :surrender:

They are ageing car's now but imo still look very modern and mine drives & sound's great. I won't be getting rid of mine for a long time and would rather spend money on keeping it looking good/running well then buying something that is newer but I just don't enjoy.

My advice is take your time thinking about what's best for you before you do anything rash. :thumbs:

If your not happy and fancy a change then maybe you should sell the Zed but I don't think you should sell it just because it's got a few bubbles of rust. :surrender:

They are ageing car's now but imo still look very modern and mine drives & sound's great. I won't be getting rid of mine for a long time and would rather spend money on keeping it looking good/running well then buying something that is newer but I just don't enjoy.

My advice is take your time thinking about what's best for you before you do anything rash. :thumbs:

It's not just the bubbling,I only found that earlier. As its old it's got annoying rattles etc & sometimes I just can't be arsed with that anymore,admittedly something with rear seats would be fairer in the driving sharing too lol.

Also think I need a banana arm after something I read on here earlier.

Problem is there's nothing I'm interested in within my price range either

Very common place for rust on the 350's, had mine repaired in the summer and he had to cut out over 2 inches of metal to get rid of the rotten section and weld another section in. Cost me just under £200 and I had all the wee dents and imperfections fixed at the same time which only added another £50.

That doesn't seem too bad Kyle. If I ha've everything done it would leave just the door untouched on that side, can't imagine the bonnet would match without the wings blended too,especially with the bumper being done

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got exactly the same problem, on mine same place but opposite side.

I went to a body shop that I've used before and trusted they cut it out and welded new metal in but it came back worse.

So I Had a little poke around the rear arches and couldn't really see a problem from there. But then I started realising moisture in the boot area of my zed (boot glass would always have condensation on it) and after stripping the back out I found that along the rust bubbled side there seemed to be a fair amount of moisture leading me to think it may be a leaky seal or something, causing it to bubble up from the inside?

I haven't got any further than this at the moment but just wondering if anyone else has the same?

Edited by Tomb

• 1 month later...

I'm just curious ( no not that kind of curious) does anyone, when they wash their car clean the inner lip on the rear arch? when I first got my Zed it was totally caked up and if that gets wet which it will in this country then it will take forever to dry out. I just wonder if this is the cause of blistering and rust on the rear lips due to mud and crap being forever damp, except perhaps in summer. When I bought both of my S14's, they were the same with the inner lip totally packed out with damp road crud.

When you get rust coming from beneath the paint it really needs cut out otherwise it'll be back in no time. Really unfortunate when you are that on your car but I guess these cars aren't the best in regards to rust.

If only they built cars like my early 90s Audi I had years ago, that thing was an unloved runaround covered in stone chips but it refused to rust. Properly galvanised.