Changing to 2nd.

Space Cadet

I've only had my 370Z for a few weeks now and its not a daily driver so I'm still getting used to it.

Pulling away is no problem, but changing to 2nd smoothly at normal 'about town' speeds feels a bit awkward, I guess if doing the traffic-light GP it may be different but just trying to be smooth with the wife in the car without any head jerking is difficult.

I end up feeding the clutch out slower than normal to smooth things out.

My gut feeling it isn't a fault with my car but just a trait, has anyone else this 'problem' and a way around it?

I've been keeping the Syncro-Match on, not sure if this would effect things??

Thanks.

Edited by Space Cadet

Thanks, but would this really be an oil issue?

All Zed gearboxes are notchy from 1st to 2nd lots of threads on here about this problem

yes if your oil is old then it will add to the problem, do as above change the oil and add molyslip

and you will not have the problem. PM Alex. :thumbs:

I have the same issue, moving from a Honda box to the 370Z was a shock, although honestly you will get used to it.

I'm unsure whether an oil chnage would fix it to be honest, feels more mechanical, it's just the way the box is.

What I will suggest is try chnaging at a higer RPM, it goes in easier, I do this now and it's much better. Dont have to rev the nuts off it, but a bit longer in first, still nice and smooth and it will make it feel less jerky.

• Like 2

Old oil in a 370 ? I've driven a few and it's a characteristic of the car, the long clutch pedal doesn't help, I used to dread crawling in traffic but I can honestly say that the more you drive it the better you will be, I don't notice it now but it was an issue to start with .. to the pont where you over compensate and make it worse

• Like 1

Thanks! The car has done almost 15k miles so I guess neither the gearbox or diff oils would yet have been changed. Wasn't something I was expecting to have to do but will give it a try. Is this a DIY on axle-stands job, or would it need ramps and a mechanic?

If its only done 15k then the oil should be OK so just add the mollyslip :surrender:

As others have said its a characteristic of the Zs, changing gear at higher rpm makes it smoother. Changing the oil and adding Molyslip is for when it's physically difficult to change from first to second, but this seems to be a 350z problem, especially on earlier models and high milers. I very doubt it will make a difference for you.

Edited by Jp606

I find letting the stick 'fall' into neutral before selecting 2nd helps the change a lot. Sounds as if it will make the change from 1st to 2nd longer, but it doesn't really.

Oil and molyslip will make no difference in the 370z mate. Like the guys said it's a trait of the car and you do get use to it :thumbs:

I remember Toby (who was on here for a while) from a local Nissan dealership often said the same :thumbs:

I find letting the stick 'fall' into neutral before selecting 2nd helps the change a lot. Sounds as if it will make the change from 1st to 2nd longer, but it doesn't really.

Good explanation as I was going to say the slower speeds you are doing the slower the shifts and make it a 2 stage action rather than a more aggressive shift that you would do under hard acceleration. And of course the trait mentioned by others ^^^^^ will be that that much more noticeable until the gearbox oil has fully warmed up.

I also find the synchro rev will help the upshift when in slow moving traffic and the road speed has dropped below the engine 'speed', something that I have found helps makes the changes just a little easier with the 370 compared to the previous 350s. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Like others have said, I find changing from 1st to 2nd between 2-3k helps massively with the smoothness of the change, especially when the box is cold. Lower revs require the "two-stage" approach otherwise you run the risk of crunching :)

Late to the party as always but I find changing up at 2700-3000 rpm really helps smooth the change. I also open the clutch quite slowly when cold as it prevents the jerk. The 'box in the 370 seems to need a bit of mollycoddling when it's cold, but when it's warmed up changing gear is very slick.