trackday weight?

e46m3c

Hi Chaps,

Weighing up which track/drift car to get and hoped you experience folks could advise me on some weighting?

Has anyone got a weighing of their track car? Something along the lines of carpets, speakers, ac removed, buckets fitted. Not one thats had £££ of carbon as that wont be in my budget.

Google suggests 1440 kg, however id like around 1300kg without having to buy lightness.

what is likley?

Thanks

Im sure someone weighed a track prepped and caged car at 1350. I cant remember who or when though but remember the thread. Also going off memory i believe it was fully seam welded with a full weld in cage with all non essentials stripped out.

The zed defo weighs over 1.5k kgs. 1300kg will require a full race strip IMO. Speak to Jez @ H dev or mark @ abbey as they both run full track cars.

Or search on my350z.com.

Many threads relating to weight saving and weight distribution etc but it at the end if the day it depends on how far you want to strip as lightness is not cheaper and not value for money for a track car.

However removing seats, carpets, spare wheel, exhaust, cats, Ac, trims etc and replacing with rays, bucket fixed back seats, single exhaust will net you close to 100kg.

Mine was 1470kg standard. I've since striped it out and added a cage, its now around 1340kg. Build thread here: http://www.350z-uk.c...dev-350z-build/

While it is quite a heavy car, its still great fun on track - doesn't feel heavy.

Should be getting my engine back from the machine shop soon - I'm going twin turbo with it.

Edited by Jez
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. So it seems 1300kg is doable without a cage or supporting carbon/lexan?

Spacers, decay, remap would put a de at about 305bhp.

That sounds acceptable, if I can find a cheap 350z could make decent alternative to another m3.

This was something I was curious about and did put up a thread a couple of months ago.

I put my jdm (no leather) on a weighbridge, 1440kg, that was with half a tank of fuel, big old 19's on, big sub/box and two amps. I did have full ss exhaust which saves a bit of weight.

My target is 1400kgs but I dont want to loose creature comforts and I think I can achieve that fairly easily. 1300kg is very achievable imho, fiberglass tailgate and lexan rear screen would save loads to start. 1300kg is rx7 weight which is considered a light car.

Weight saving is always good but where its saved and how its distributed is more important than just the raw number lost.

Reducing unsprung weight saves you about a ration 1:4 compared to sprung weight but more than this its improves performance.

Good ol' JDM cars ;)

I will be doing my strip down in the warmer months... starting with everything behind the seats. 370z brakes have already been bought, wheels will be ordered in the next few days, just need to work out what suspension to go for

I got mine to 1350 but there is still a bit we could remove, all the weight that is left has tried to be kept as low to the ground as possible, also we cant lose anymore weight due to race regs the power->weight...

For me the thing that really made the car feel different chucking it about was the seats and the doors, much more planted

Wish the Zed weighed about 100-200 kg less than standard, would have made a huge difference.

Aside from the hefty V6, what puts the lard on the Z?

Seems the nature of modern cars, the only thing that breaks the mould is the new ish gt86, even mx5's are bulking up in the weight department compared to what they used to be!

Big fat comfy electric seats, airbags, big brakes & wheels, solid build added to the overall size all contributes :)

Just try lifting your bootlid if your gas shocks go ;)

Edited by Jetpilot

Wish the Zed weighed about 100-200 kg less than standard, would have made a huge difference.

Seems the nature of modern cars, the only thing that breaks the mould is the new ish gt86, even mx5's are bulking up in the weight department compared to what they used to be!

Big fat comfy electric seats, airbags, big brakes & wheels, solid build added to the overall size all contributes :)

Think I'll stop going to the gym if the shocks go, and just pump iron on the Zed lol

the reason its so heavy is the subframes and the materials used are mostly steal, apart from the aluminium bonnet (which people replace for carbon :S )

The good news is that steal subframes are strong and when you put some proper suspension on it the car is a lot of fun :)

http://www.importtuner.com/features/impp_1006_350z_vs_370z/viewall.html

Read this article a while back about preparing a 350z roadster for time attack.

Unfortunately the harmonic weights are only on the roadster but they mention removing the reinforcements for the rear seat belts, a hang over from the common model Skyline.

Not sure how much it would save / if it's wise.

I removed the heater matrix on mine - wish I hadn't. Get steamy windows sometimes, which is a pain.

I've still got all the standard glass, doors, bonnet and boot - so could save a bit more if I wanted.

I have been giving some serious thought to this :) well for when I strip the car.... heater will stay, but a lot will be removed!

http://www.lexan-windows.com/window-kits-windscreens.html?brand=152&model=403

Most modern cars are like this.... just have a look at the size differences!!!

http://jalopnik.com/the-ten-cars-that-improved-the-most-over-time-1497053004

• 3 weeks later...