Spraying of alloys!

PMX

Thinking of having my wheels sprayed, dark anthracite or similar (car is metallic grey)

Has anyone had this done by any companies in the Midlands area (I am in Tamworth) Also how much did you pay?

I used Derby Alloys earlier this year to refurb/spray alloys on my Z4. They did a nice job so would be happy to use again. They have quoted £160, spray only, no refurb as this is not required. Which I think is a fair price?

Sound's like a very good price.

My old man had his 18" BMW wheels refurbished locally to us and that was £300 all in. They did sort out his curbed alloys though as well as the full respray.

If you're happy with Derby Alloy then for that price I'd just use them again. :thumbs:

Just do it yourself... really easy.

1. prep your wheels by sanding with 800 grit wet and dry paper

2. Wash wheels with water to ensure all dust is gone

3. mask off tyres

4. spray several thin layers of primer

5. rub down with 2000 grit paper

6. Wash wheels with water to ensure all dust is gone

7. paint with several layers of spray paint

8. rub down with 2000 grit paper

9. Wash wheels with water to ensure all dust is gone

10. paint with several layers of clear lacquer

Takes about a week to do it all, with drying times between layers etc...

Your painting environment is important... i did mine in my garage, but the most important thing is your painting technique. light thin layers are the key to success, from a distance of about 12 - 14 inches. If you dont get complete coverage on your first pass, dont go over it - wait until you're doing the next coat

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/53825-fitted-newly-sprayed-winter-wheels/page__hl__wheels

I'm sure it is fun fun to spray it yourself but why not spend that time on some other DIY project and powdercoat the wheels for £20 a piece at City powdercoating in Birmingham👀

You can even take the wheels with tyres to them and they will un-mount and remount them for you for another £20! Takes about 3-5days turn around.

Powder cost is more durable than paint so its a no brainierðŸ‘

https://m.facebook.com/pages/City-Powder-Coaters-Ltd/349494635713?id=349494635713&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F&_rdr

Thanks for your comments, ideas, etc.

Don't think I will spray myself based on previous 'attempts' at spraying, but thanks anyway marsman, maybe one day........

So really need to decide between spray & powdercoat finish?? Will let you know soon & post up photos

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ive heard powder coating isnt very good for aluminium? i could be wrong so dont shoot me.

You *should* be okay so long as the coater doesn't use excessive heat. I think around 200c is required.

I've seen some good and some bad results from City powder Coaters - you pays your money and take your chance.