I have ruined my car already!

nixy

I've written off 13 cars in my youth, mainly Minis. I was a very keen driver ( ie, a bit of a nutter ) and learned the hard way :teeth:

On the bright side my accidents never involved other vehicles, I would lose control on country roads and hit trees, walls or other such roadside furniture !

I've never worn a seat belt and never been injured in an accident. I was once a passenger in my own Mini when my mate rolled it. It went over 3 or 4 times down a grass banking and came to rest on it's roof in a field. I remember grabbing the base of the seat and holding myself in place. When the car came to rest I climbed out through the window completely unhurt. My mate was pinned in the car by the seatbelt and was screaming in agony because it had broken his collar bone. I had to fiddle about and release the seat belt for him before he could get out. God forbid if the car went up in flames the seat belt would have killed him.

I used to work in the Insurance industry and I've seen many injuries which were caused by seat belts. It depends entirely on the circumstances of the accident whether a seat belt is a good thing or not.

Personally I think it should come down to personal choice whether you wear a belt or not, but like I said in the vast majority of cars I find them very uncomfortable and just can't wear one. It's probably down to me being a funny shape - the avatar is me - and seat belts being a one size fits all type of device.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've written off 13 cars in my youth, mainly Minis. I was a very keen driver ( ie, a bit of a nutter ) and learned the hard way :teeth:

On the bright side my accidents never involved other vehicles, I would lose control on country roads and hit trees, walls or other such roadside furniture !

I've never worn a seat belt and never been injured in an accident. I was once a passenger in my own Mini when my mate rolled it. It went over 3 or 4 times down a grass banking and came to rest on it's roof in a field. I remember grabbing the base of the seat and holding myself in place. When the car came to rest I climbed out through the window completely unhurt. My mate was pinned in the car by the seatbelt and was screaming in agony because it had broken his collar bone. I had to fiddle about and release the seat belt for him before he could get out. God forbid if the car went up in flames the seat belt would have killed him.

I used to work in the Insurance industry and I've seen many injuries which were caused by seat belts. It depends entirely on the circumstances of the accident whether a seat belt is a good thing or not.

Personally I think it should come down to personal choice whether you wear a belt or not, but like I said in the vast majority of cars I find them very uncomfortable and just can't wear one. It's probably down to me being a funny shape - the avatar is me - and seat belts being a one size fits all type of device.

As a personal injury lawyer I've seen some horrific facial/head injuries where people haven't worn seatbelts but very few serious injuries from seatbelts. There will be the odd occasion where a seatbelt has caused injury or death but far more times where it has save the skin of the wearer. I always wear mine.

I'm happy for front seat passengers to make their own minds up whether they want to risk their necks but rear seat passengers without seatbelts are a danger to those in the front.

As a personal injury lawyer I've seen some horrific facial/head injuries where people haven't worn seatbelts but very few serious injuries from seatbelts. There will be the odd occasion where a seatbelt has caused injury or death but far more times where it has save the skin of the wearer. I always wear mine.

I guess that makes sense, maybe I have just been lucky. Again for me it's just the comfort thing, I find seat belts very restrictive, almost claustrophobic and I don't like the pressure on my chest.

I suppose I could always diet :scare:

I must say ive been really lucky had a major crash in my ford puma ( my first car leave off with the comments lol) I 360 it and didnt have a seatbelt on and came out fine, but i have been really lucky and youd think id learn but with a seat belt I feel claustraphobic and hate the strap around the neck. :blush:

I know that this thread has been hijacked but I with Digsy 100% on this one.

If you get in my car you wear a seat belt. No belt = no ride!!

I always wear my belt in my own car.

As a police officer I am exempt at work but still wear it the majority of the time. (There is the odd work situation like carrying a prisoner where I don't put it on)

I have seen one to many NASTY crashes where a seat belt could have saved the driver or passenger to not want to put mine on.

I agree there will always be the exception where the seat belt caused the injury but they are the EXCEPTION.

Nixy

Grow a longer neck then it wont hurt!!

Ming the Useless.

Mrs Ming celica does the same thing and she bought one of those pads that fits on the belt. It works wonders but stops the belt going back when you take it off??

• 3 weeks later...

Nixy! Dont know if it will make you feel better but I've just had almost the exact same thing happen to me!

Muttley is now at local Nissan dealer awaiting investigation. Water was lapping at sills when it stopped, but luckily nothing inside the car...

A bit late to post now, but a suggestion for the seat belt.

Adjust it so it's not cutting into you, and use a clothes peg where the seatbelt comes out (can't think of the technical name)

This will keep it in place, and if you're in a serious enough shunt that it needs to restrict you, SRS will kick in and the ignitions will explode and it'll pull you in very tightly, the clothes peg isn't going to effect the safety.

Nixy! Dont know if it will make you feel better but I've just had almost the exact same thing happen to me!

Muttley is now at local Nissan dealer awaiting investigation. Water was lapping at sills when it stopped, but luckily nothing inside the car...

No way! Did this happen the other day? :thumbdown:

No way! Did this happen the other day? :thumbdown:

Sadly John wasn't as lucky as Nixy and needs a new engine. :(

Really? Hope it's still as nice as last time I was there. I work only 5 mins from there, just over the roundabout. If you park near the roundabout at 8.30 am you're guaranteed a wave!

Sadly John wasn't as lucky as Nixy and needs a new engine. :(

I assume insurance covers this....

Gutted for him....

Hope I don't run in to any puddles on venture south next week. Took your recomendation Nixy regarding Fairfield Manor :thumbs:

£11k for the engine from his stealer! :scare:

Looks like the insurance will cover but the question is currently whether it will be written off.

Now waiting for Insurance Engineer to view damage - Not sure what he's going to look at though unless he's got a fibre optic probe! May not be 'till Friday.

Touch and go for the write-off. If it is, should I buy it?

Now waiting for Insurance Engineer to view damage - Not sure what he's going to look at though unless he's got a fibre optic probe! May not be 'till Friday.

John so sorry to hear that, you must be gutted. Personally i would buy it back anyway and restore it if you can.

sorry to hear the news John. TBO I'd buy another one if the settlement was good enough

Very sorry to hear your news John - it must be heartbreaking.

Insurance companies will usually pay out up to 50 percent of a vehicle's value. So if a new engine is 11K you are getting very close to that figure.

If they do decide to write it off and there is no other damage apart from the engine I would be tempted to buy it back off them.

Thats 3 for buy it back and 2 for get another! If only emotions weren't involved....

I'm going to push hard to get the engine done. I'll emphasise this is a limited edition vehicle (one of only 76 UYs), lovingly cared for, no other faults, no other third party or personal injury claims on this incident ....... Anything else?