😞 Zed went bang! 😭

ro88ie

Out of warranty, out of luck it appears. Seems like my only option is to find a new motor myself. Had a call from Evans Halshaw saying the cost of a new engine would be £13k 😬

:scare: Hope you told them to "F" off. :angry:

For that sort of money you could have an awesome n/a rebuild done with lot's of upgraded bits.

Never mind that for that sort of money you can go get another zed. Time to ask the finance company to see if they are prepared to do anything. You have mentioned the owners club / this forum to Evans haven't you? They could at least meet you halfway - you can't have done much mileage in the four months you have owned the car!

Never mind that for that sort of money you can go get another zed. Time to ask the finance company to see if they are prepared to do anything. You have mentioned the owners club / this forum to Evans haven't you? They could at least meet you halfway - you can't have done much mileage in the four months you have owned the car!

Even half way he has to find £6.5k...that makes it a very expensive Zed..!! :surrender: :surrender:

I feel for you dude, My engine shat the bed 2 weeks ago and it currently being rebuilt. I had to bite the bullet as the company I bought my zed from dissapeared, well they now trade under a different name "big boys toys" Apparently this happens with some smaller car dealer or should I say con artists!! So I know exactly how you feel.

It was good of them to sort the other bits out but 13k is a mental price for a new engine, you can buy 2 zeds for that. Hope you get it sorted mate. Go for the rebuild then you can start from fresh knowing the engines been looked after.

I will contact my finance company on Monday and see what they say. Getting someone to look at the engine and see what sort of damage has occurred and whether anything can be salvaged. I don't know whether a used engine would be best,I saw a revup fitted for £2100 with 25k on eBay and As far as I'm aware a HR engine doesn't fit into the '06 model. Anyone advise me on the rough cost of a rebuild?

I'm from Saltburn in the north east. 20 minutes from Middlesbrough.

Ah your quite far away from me, I was gonna suggest getting in contact with Julian at Garage D in watford as thats where my engine is being rebuilt/uprated. He also has a VQ30DET for £1500 for sale. fits straight in to a Zed. Nice 3ltr single turbo if you fancy a nice engine swap. I was gonna go for it but I wanna do a RB25 engine conversion next year!

That just says "we don't really care about you or your custom but if you are stupid enough to part with £13k then we are happy to have your money". What a complete bunch of absolute tossers. :bang: :bang:

To me it sounds more like "We think you'll say 'scrap it' and we'll therefore take ownership of it and break it for parts, or plonk an engine in and flog it on" to me.

Once had a garage tell me that an old Ford Sierra (going back a few years) needed £800 worth of welding - which would probably be about £1200 in today's climate. Took it home, a friend popped round with some equipment, welded for approx 30 mins for which he'd asked for a few pints in the local, and it past the MOT. Still think they priced their "work" so as to force me to scrap the car with them, at which point they'd fix it up in a spare 20 mins and flog it on for £500.

Tis why (imo) reputation of the garage is everything.

Edited by Mike

Ah your quite far away from me, I was gonna suggest getting in contact with Julian at Garage D in watford as thats where my engine is being rebuilt/uprated. He also has a VQ30DET for £1500 for sale. fits straight in to a Zed. Nice 3ltr single turbo if you fancy a nice engine swap. I was gonna go for it but I wanna do a RB25 engine conversion next year!

I am not so sure its thats simple to fit the vq30, do you know if they retain all the standard canbus system and how they overcome the throttle, 350 is fly by wire and vq30 is cable?

At the same time you contact finance co I would also talk to trading stds. Warranty isn't always everything. Sale of goods act says goods must be as described and fit for purpose, and a test of reasonableness can be applied I.e. you would resonably expect the engine to last longer than "x" miles.

Sale of goods act covers used as well as new although the requirement of proof may differ but i am fairly sure during first six months supplier has to prove they are not at fault after six months you have to prove they are at fault. I recently got a garage to replace a clutch on an out of warranty used car. They may not be able to help but in my experience businesses behave differently once you mention sale of goods act and trading standards.

Get some advice, it will cost you nothing and could save you a lot of money.

• Like 1

I am not so sure its thats simple to fit the vq30, do you know if they retain all the standard canbus system and how they overcome the throttle, 350 is fly by wire and vq30 is cable?

You are correct with the throttle it just get put on to a cable instead of electronic, Julian said its really easy to do. He knows his stuff and he said it has the same mounts and fits straights onto the gear box. the only part thats a lot work/money is making the pipe work for the intercooler and a custom exhaust. Apart from that it goes straight in. There was a post somewhere on here that a dude in America had done it before and it worked really well.

You are correct with the throttle it just get put on to a cable instead of electronic, Julian said its really easy to do. He knows his stuff and he said it has the same mounts and fits straights onto the gear box. the only part thats a lot work/money is making the pipe work for the intercooler and a custom exhaust. Apart from that it goes straight in. There was a post somewhere on here that a dude in America had done it before and it worked really well.

Think it was on your thread, i did a little looking about after you mentioned it and it is talked about a lot in the states but not many conversions actually done. Would like to hear more details about the wiring up, ecu and canbus stuff but cant seem to find any details on it :( If my engine ever went pop it would be something i would look at for sure :)

Think it was on your thread, i did a little looking about after you mentioned it and it is talked about a lot in the states but not many conversions actually done. Would like to hear more details about the wiring up, ecu and canbus stuff but cant seem to find any details on it :( If my engine ever went pop it would be something i would look at for sure :)

I was so tempted as He has the engine complete with ECU and loom for £1500. If my engine had gone bang any other time other than christmas I would of done in in a heart beat, but Ive gone with a a full rebuild with uprated parts. Julian has said to me he wants to do a RB25 conversion on my car, so see what the funds say in the summer. I'd love to see one of the 35z-uk family do the VQ30 conversion, but not for the reasons their engine has died, cause no one likes hearing that.

I was so tempted as He has the engine complete with ECU and loom for £1500. If my engine had gone bang any other time other than christmas I would of done in in a heart beat, but Ive gone with a a full rebuild with uprated parts. Julian has said to me he wants to do a RB25 conversion on my car, so see what the funds say in the summer. I'd love to see one of the 35z-uk family do the VQ30 conversion, but not for the reasons their engine has died, cause no one likes hearing that.

There is a company in the states who do a rb25 conversion kit, will try and find the site, if i was going for something like that though (big hp) i think i would go a 2jz though, kits available of the shelf and a bombproof engine, 500 - 600hp without breaking a sweat :)

Apparently you can fit 350z heads onto the vq block as they give better breathing :)

• Like 1

There is a company in the states who do a rb25 conversion kit, will try and find the site, if i was going for something like that though (big hp) i think i would go a 2jz though, kits available of the shelf and a bombproof engine, 500 - 600hp without breaking a sweat :)

Apparently you can fit 350z heads onto the vq block as they give better breathing :)

http://my350z.com/forum/media-share/573739-350z-2jz-swap.html

WOW!

http://my350z.com/fo...z-2jz-swap.html

WOW!

http://tech2motorsports.com/products.php?c=4&s=13

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drift-car-projects-builds/71587-my-finished-project-2jz-350z-tech-2-motorsports.html

• 3 weeks later...

latest update -

After contacting the finance company they sent an independent mechanic to inspect the car. Here are his findings.

image_zpse0c550e6.jpg

URL=http://s957.photobucket.com/user/Robbie_Bettson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpse905b5a6.jpg.html]image_zpse905b5a6.jpg[/url]

So it looks like I'm paying for this :(

Need some advice on buying a replacement engine though. Is there a proper way to go about it i.e. proof of mileage?

Gutted for you.

You've basically got three routes to a new engine;

Buy brand new engine from a manufacturer and pay the earth for it - nobody would do this really!

Buy a refurb'd engine from an engine dealer - should come with new bearings, new chains, etc... and also, a warranty.

Buy a second hand engine from the forum, trader, or internet - probably won't get a warranty, but I think this is also the cheapest and most common option.

latest update -

After contacting the finance company they sent an independent mechanic to inspect the car. Here are his findings.

image_zpse0c550e6.jpg

URL=http://s957.photobucket.com/user/Robbie_Bettson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpse905b5a6.jpg.html]image_zpse905b5a6.jpg[/url]

So it looks like I'm paying for this :(

Need some advice on buying a replacement engine though. Is there a proper way to go about it i.e. proof of mileage?

Gutted for you mate, lets hope you can get it sorted least painful way.

PM Zmanalex / Clark and see if he has one in stock.. :pmzmanalex:

Had a phone call today from a breakers yard in Leeds that have a solution;

2007 rev up engine still in the car,

35k miles,

full nissan dealer history.

all documents from insurance write-off

photos on their website of the car which was in a front end smash but no damage to the engine.

They say they will collect my car on the day from me, replace the engine and provide all compression tests etc, bring the car back or i can collect in 5 days. All this for £2500 with 3 months parts and labour guarantee.

So far this looks my best bet as all prices i have had so far only include supply of an engine for between 1500-3500.

Any thoughts?

Thats not bad for convenience as they will pick up and drop off.

I just got mine back and I had a full rebuild at Garage-D and that cost £2300, I also had new japspeed manifolds and Y-pipe and my total was £2750. Just to give you an idea. I also get a full service at 500 miles and a 1 year guarantee.

Sucks to hear you gotta pay for it, but I feel your pain as the same thing happened to me