Recommend me a dash cam

Fluke

• 1 year later...

hi guys, has anyone else invested in a dash cam recently? I am on the lookout for one at the moment

edit: I have recently been bought a go-pro. Would this be as good, if not better than a dash cam? A pain taking it in and out of the car I know..

Edited by WINKJ

I just bought another "go pro" style action camera for my motorbike - i already have a contour HD helmet cam. I went for the SJ4000 (quick search on ebay..) which apparently is a copy of one of the gopro`s, but for £30 I figured it was worth a punt. Having tried it out on my bike at the weekend I have to say its really good. The quality of the recordings seems suburb and it coped with all the vibrations of being mounted to my Ducati without any problems. The actual camera is really small, but it fits into a gopro style waterproof housing etc and comes with loads of mounts.

I am actually thinking of buying another one to stick in my car as a dash cam. Without the clear housing the actual camera would be quite subtle in the car. It takes 32gb cards and you can set it to record as soon as it gets power. Only thing I think it hasnt got is motion detection if you wanted it connected to a perminant live & record as soon as someone gets near your car.

• Like 1

I just bought another "go pro" style action camera for my motorbike - i already have a contour HD helmet cam. I went for the SJ4000 (quick search on ebay..) which apparently is a copy of one of the gopro`s, but for £30 I figured it was worth a punt. Having tried it out on my bike at the weekend I have to say its really good. The quality of the recordings seems suburb and it coped with all the vibrations of being mounted to my Ducati without any problems. The actual camera is really small, but it fits into a gopro style waterproof housing etc and comes with loads of mounts.

I am actually thinking of buying another one to stick in my car as a dash cam. Without the clear housing the actual camera would be quite subtle in the car. It takes 32gb cards and you can set it to record as soon as it gets power. Only thing I think it hasnt got is motion detection if you wanted it connected to a perminant live & record as soon as someone gets near your car.

but if I already have a go pro I may aswel just use that... right? :lol:

but if I already have a go pro I may aswel just use that... right? :lol:

Depends on if you want to leave your gopro in your car permanently? Or, have the hassle of keep taking it in/out and changing the settings etc. For 30quid id rather get one of these and permanently leave it in the car. You can just set it up as a dash cam and forget about it. That way you can use your go pro for other stuff.

• 4 months later...

Hi Folks,

Can you help?

I've been looking for a dash cam after a recent incident where my body work was damaged by a 3rd party while I was stationary; I'd pulled over to let them pass in a narrow country lane and they scraped their car against mine as they were passing. For the insurance claim they are claiming that I clipped them as I came around a corner. Very irritating - but a dash cam would have been useful here as it would have removed all doubt.

I've been looking at various brands - but viewing so many reviews (I'm talking Amazon mostly - plus a few online sellers) leaves me with the impression that the devices reviewed stop working after a year or so. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place for recommendations :wacko:

So my question is - can anyone recommend a reliable dash cam that they've been using for more than a year?

I'm initally looking for a foward facing 1080p camera with a view to adding a rear view camera later.

Thanks for any help,

TT

Edited by The Trouser

Has anyone ever needed to submit them as evidence before and would they help in a court of law i.e. in terms of insurance?

Went to a party on NYE and was a bit drunk but do remember chatting to a guy who processes car insurance claims, he collects all the evidence and writes the reports back to the insurers. When I mentioned that I was thinking about getting a dash cam he said 'GET ONE NOW' as he would certainly use it in his reporting.

I have just ordered a G1WH from eBay, its going to be very basic but I wanted to start off with something cheap to see how we go and I might upgrade to front and rear view more premium piece of kit at some point later in the year.

I got a dashcam for Christmas! It's this one:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2-7-LCD-HD-1080P-Video-Camera-Dash-Cam-Recorder-In-Car-DVR-Night-Vision-/171823134786?nav=SEARCH

Ive never had one so I can't compare one from another, it's in my car now tucked in front of the rear view mirror. It takes a micro so card and it's easy to check on the pc the footage. Unfortunately you can't make out reg plates on mine, even on high quality recording mode. Another slight negative, it's got motion detect although for this to work the device needs power, when the engine is off so is the 12v socket so it doesn't work.

Fairly easy to run the wires behind passenger seat, and along/ tucked inside rubber lining to the windscreen.

Iv already painted it black, the blue stood out too much I don't really want people to know it's there.

Edited by Exec

Im rigging up 5 of them over the weekend :lol: 2 in the Scooby front and back and 3 on zed front/back/one outside (for fun drives), not taking any chances in 2016, mine are just mid range ones but should do the trick, i do have 2 sj400 which are pretty good

Edited by jumping350

I am after a cheapish dash cam, it needs to be discreet. I don't plan to use it on track, but would like to be able to record journeys etc.. Has anyone got any recommendations?

http://www.amazon.co...NMKFF5ET0&psc=1

I did consider the Transcend model - but I was after something a bit more discrete and after you include the mounting for the Transcend it does become a big piece of furniture on the windscreen.

After all my research I'm currently considering this - Blackvue DR650GW-2CH http://www.amazon.co...2ch dr650gw-2ch

Does anyone have experience with BlackVue dash cams?

Edited by The Trouser

I have the older 400hd model in my 370 , really like it and the software for viewing is excellent

As shown here , although why its so jerky I dont know , its smooth in practice . Youtube screws with the video quality though you cant compare like with like

I am after a cheapish dash cam, it needs to be discreet. I don't plan to use it on track, but would like to be able to record journeys etc.. Has anyone got any recommendations?

http://www.amazon.co...NMKFF5ET0&psc=1

I did consider the Transcend model - but I was after something a bit more discrete and after you include the mounting for the Transcend it does become a big piece of furniture on the windscreen.

After all my research I'm currently considering this - Blackvue DR650GW-2CH http://www.amazon.co...2ch dr650gw-2ch

Does anyone have experience with BlackVue dash cams?

yup - that's what I have fitted

had it about 12 - 18 months

1. it doesn't like aftermarket memory cards

2. quality of footage on the phone is low, but export it to the pc and its top class

3. I have the power module to monitor the car battery to switch it off if it drops too low - it works, but if it does it too often you end up having to reformat the card

4. read the instructions (i didn't :blush: ) - the software supplied formatted the cards ok, but sometime the camera wouldn't then accept it - you have to format the card in the camera - press and hold the button for 10 seconds and then all good

on the whole a VERY good camera when you use their cards and read the instructions properly :wacko:

• Like 1

I have the Mini 0802 and it's been brilliant. The only issue I get occasionally is sometime the footage does not record over itself when the SD card is full. They record 55 minutes in 5 minute segments and when 55 mins is up, it goes back and records over from the start. Sometimes it doesn't and I need to do a quick format which takes 10 seconds. Only happened 3 or 4 times in the year or I have had it so not a biggie.

Cost £50 from Amazon and here is an example of the footage. Please remember that this is from YouTube so the quality has been compressed so it's usually much better than this direct.

Clear day.

Wet day.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 1