Alpine or Pioneer...

Ballardpaul

Hey guys I'm loooking to buy a double din headunit and the thing that I cant seem to find information on is the reversing camera. I'm looking at either the Pioneer AVH8500BT, AVH5600BT or Alpine IVE W535BT; or IVE W530BT so if any of you can help me pick one that would be brilliant.

Also what might make me pick is whether the £15 reversing camera on ebay can be plugged into either of the units? As I really want one but dont fancy paying the £150 prcie tag both ask for from their websites. They dont seem to tell you what connections they use on the back.

Thanks guys

Paul

Is it the Pioneer AVH-X8500BT you are considering? If so, have a look on page 5 of here.

http://docs.pioneer.eu/Manuals/AVH_X8500BT_YRD5375_installation_manual/

It looks very similar to my AVH-X2500BT, which works nicely with the ebay special cam. It's just needs a RCA video and a reverse light signal wire.

I have an Alpine top of the range single din atm, bluetooth, 2 pre outs, 2 usbs yada yada - cost like £160

it sucks :snorkel:

i have alpine component speakers and they rock, alpine make good speakers but their head units arent all that

in this and previous cars have had a JVC double din, Pioneer Single Din. both were way better

the alpine menus are really fiddly and its like things are set to infuriate you, like if you change the bass settings or whatever you have to wait for the settings menu to time out to be able to change the volume, or youll just still be adjusting bass

my JVC one was awesome, had a full spectrum EQ, not just 'bass and treble', and you could set Q factor and filters each level of frequency - and the sound quality imo was better

ahhhhhh!!!!!

Sorry yeah I missed out the 'x' on the pioneer models I mentioned.

Thanks guys but such split decisions haven't really helped ha. I had a single din alpine in my last car, bought it brand new in 2007 and still works well and really easy to use, but probably because I've had it so long so I know where everything is.

Good news about the camera for the Pioneer! I'm sure all the models across the range connect them in the same way then. The picture of the alpine camera has a big box with weird wires so I'm guessing you can't use any old camera with RCAs. From experience you tend to need a big box for everything with alpine you add on. Or you did on my old head unit.

So now onto my next question what's the difference between the 8500 or the 5600? I compared them online but the more expensive 8500 doesn't seem worth the extra money unless I'm missing something?

If I'm not adding screens to it HDMI isn't really important is it?

Yeah saw your link mate thanks, but you can get the 5600 for £320 I saw so saving nearly £100?

Right I realised that the HD is for when you connect to a phone so definatly needed ha. Also I cannot find the 5600 for the price I found yesterday so just oredered the 8500. I hope I'm not dissapointed. Amazon doing it for £404.99 atm from car audio security.

Santa better hurry up...

Now onto cables!!!

BBK fancy helping me out? what phone is connected to yours atm?

Hey guys I'm loooking to buy a double din headunit and the thing that I cant seem to find information on is the reversing camera. I'm looking at either the Pioneer AVH8500BT, AVH5600BT or Alpine IVE W535BT; or IVE W530BT so if any of you can help me pick one that would be brilliant.

Also what might make me pick is whether the £15 reversing camera on ebay can be plugged into either of the units? As I really want one but dont fancy paying the £150 prcie tag both ask for from their websites. They dont seem to tell you what connections they use on the back.

Thanks guys

Paul

I recently bought a cheap reversing camera from E bay (no doubt manufactured in China) and the picture quality is OK in the light but poor in the dark although supposed to have night vision. On my other car I have a manufacturer fitted camera and the night vision is superb. I guess you get what you pay for hence the much higher price for the Alpine camera's, although £150 is a bit steep. As for fit, mine is an Alpine head unit and just appears to have a DIN input for the camera. On the Z the camera is fitted in the blanking plate for the towing eye. An easy place to fit it but can get obscured by exhaust fumes on cold mornings. Camera is wired into reversing light but am considering wiring so it is permanently powered so I can have some rear vision all the time. With Nismo rear spoiler and heavily tinted rear windows, the rear view is crap. As yet not overly impressed with the Alpine but car is new to me and am still in the 'engine sound is all the music I need' stage so have not had a good play with it.