First ride out in a GTR.....

nowhereboy

It was an R33 running roughly 500BHP.

WOW, made the Z look like a toy and it sounded like a bloody rocket! Absolute joy to drive.

Naturally I want one now, has anyone here had one before? I'd imagine they cost an arm and a leg to run/maintain?

In about 5 months time I'm going to be much better off financially and I'll be considering buying one of these beasts!

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/nissan/skyline-r33/skyline-r33-gtr/1704607?utm_expid=73689293-28.GwaTIa0tTx6mQ1ehYJDijg.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pistonheads.com%2Fclassifieds%3FCarTypeFF%3DANY%26Category%3Dused-cars%26Consumption%3DANY%26FuelType%3DANY%26M%3D1038%26NoDoors%3DANY%26SortOptions%3DPriceLowToHigh%26Transmission%3DANY#

B)

Awesome cars but you need to be very careful with what your buying as there a lot of sheds out there that'll cost thousands to put right, there are a number of things to look out for including low oil pressure, gearbox problems, rust (not an issue on a fresh import)

The running costs are high you would need deep pockets to run one as a daily. Join the GTR forum theres a wealth of information on there.

Rod at RB Motorsport is a guru when it comes to these cars, he worked with Middlehurst back when they ran R32 and R33 race cars

Ran R33GTR for nearly two years - around the 400 hp mark (all HKS stuff).

I didn't find it to be a moneypit - relatively good MPG, great fun, no issues.

I may have got a good one....was a very low mile import (luckily with all the HKS bits n bobs done).

sneakily would love a stripped out R32 though!!!!

Edited by aidan

R33's are good value ......... but they are a bit old now TBH, I think youd probably find the Zed does most things better :)

Emm . No. Your wrong. Yes the are old, but Z does most things better??

A decent R33 GTR (not a gts) is a great car - cannot be compared to a Z (as it shouldn't with difference in prices from new).

Edited by aidan

R33's are good value ......... but they are a bit old now TBH, I think youd probably find the Zed does most things better :)

A decent R33 GTR (not a gts) is a great car - cannot be compared to a Z (as it shouldn't with difference in prices from new).

I take it youve driven an R33 GTR then have you? Youd know that the handing and ride arent up to the same standard as a Z33, that as standard they arent much quicker, that the interior looks pretty dated, that they arent as good as a 350Z on reliability and that they are generally old cars now ......... but still cost twice what a 350Z does. :teeth:

Dont get me wrong, they were great cars in their day (although I still far prefer 32's and 34's) but they are 20 years old now, the difference in GTST and GTR prices is a fair indicator that you are paying for the bade to some extent. :)

I take it youve driven an R33 GTR then have you? Youd know that the handing and ride arent up to the same standard as a Z33, that as standard they arent much quicker, that the interior looks pretty dated, that they arent as good as a 350Z on reliability and that they are generally old cars now ......... but still cost twice what a 350Z does. :teeth:

Dont get me wrong, they were great cars in their day (although I still far prefer 32's and 34's) but they are 20 years old now, the difference in GTST and GTR prices is a fair indicator that you are paying for the bade to some extent. :)

Had one for two years, hence yes I have driven one a few times. :blush:

While as mentioned they shouldn't be compared - here goes anyway.

Both the GTR and my current Z were both low miles when bought, so reliability wasn't an issue.

Economy - on par.

Ride - again on par although the R33 does have four seats and was slightly better at long distances.

Handling - were I am it rains, a lot! and to be fair, the Z is @*!# when its wet. The R33 would still get traction.

Interior - preferred the seats in GTR, but prefer the layout of Z.

Quick - my GTR was slightly tuned, but Zs are general slow cars as standard.

GTRs are retailing well below 9k - so not exactly double the price of a Z second hand.

And I agree, the 32 was the best one. There wasn't a lot different between 33 and 34 apart from bodywork (and weight).

Comparing GTST with a Z is a bit closer. Rear wheel drive, decent torque.

Don't get me wrong - agree totally that R33GTRs are old in the tooth - still great cars.

Edited by aidan
  • Like 1

Fair enough Aidan, thats pretty balanced TBF, sorry if I sound like some kind of argumentative arsehole :lol:

I personally found that the handling feedback and predictability on the Z is better than the R33 GTR but TBF I havent owned one, only driven a few, I also dont think a GTST holds a candle to it as standard but again Ive only driven one or two, I just find the Z to be more involving and rewarding. Ive had a similar argument with certain people on the SXOC about 350Z vs S14, some of it comes down to taste but they both (S14 and R33) feel a bit outdated when up against a 350Z for me :)

• Like 1

Don't think there is any point comparing a stock skyline with a stock z33 , I've been around skylines since 2005 and I've yet to see a totally stock one !

With minimal mods even the gtst is a very competent car and very rewarding to drive , the GTR has always felt a bit heavy to me I've only driven a couple of 33's around 400hp but the 2wd models always appealed more to me .

Fair enough Aidan, thats pretty balanced TBF, sorry if I sound like some kind of argumentative arsehole :lol:

I personally found that the handling feedback and predictability on the Z is better than the R33 GTR but TBF I havent owned one, only driven a few, I also dont think a GTST holds a candle to it as standard but again Ive only driven one or two, I just find the Z to be more involving and rewarding. Ive had a similar argument with certain people on the SXOC about 350Z vs S14, some of it comes down to taste but they both (S14 and R33) feel a bit outdated when up against a 350Z for me :)

Nah Docwra - its a forum mate, thats what they are for, expressing views.....else we'd all be stuck in BWM boxes!! :teeth:

The R33GTR does feel a lot bigger than the Z, especially width. Surprisingly though an R33GTR (non V spec) is 1600KG - which is only roughly 50kg heavier than a 350Z GT ???

On a side note - when looking quickly for the gtr weight (as I thought they were heavier) - found http://fastestlaps.com

Never seen this website before. Could spent ages on it trawling sh*te. :scare:

Edited by aidan

Nah Docwra - its a forum mate, thats what they are for, expressing views.....else we'd all be stuck in BWM boxes!! :teeth:

The R33GTR does feel a lot bigger than the Z, especial width. Surprisingly though an R33GTR (non V spec) is 1600KG - which is roughly the weight of a 350Z GT ???

Really? I thought the 33 & 34 both felt the same size as a Z, if anything a bit narrower

The R33GTR does feel a lot bigger than the Z, especial width. Surprisingly though an R33GTR (non V spec) is 1600KG - which is roughly the weight of a 350Z GT ???

Really? I thought the 33 & 34 both felt the same size as a Z, if anything a bit narrower

The 34 is a fair bit narrower and only 200mm longer