Zed insurance prices?

fairladyz2013

I'm 22, £450 comprehensive with no points, no accidents (I had one in 2008 but they weren't interested over 3 years ago) and 4 years NC. This is on a multi-car policy with 3 other cars which saves a bit but either way cheap for my age/the car :)

I always seem to get cheap insurance quotes though. I was paying under £400 on my E46 328.

It's got to be down to Post Codes, as 90% of the information you give them will be the same as everyone else.

I'm 22 - (Renewal in January) 4 Years no claims - 900 a year. - No accidents etc.

Funny thing is, when I had my golf, I was renewing my insurance, and the quote they offered me, I thought I'd get better else where.

Rang around and everywhere was 1-2k more than I was already paying! So I thought, right I'll go back to admiral and say I'll accept the quote they offered me in writing.

They then said we'll see if we can get it down a bit, lets go through details etc. Name, Address, Parking....Then the next question - Employment Status. At the time I was unemployed, so I said that.

Go to the end of it, and he goes unfortunatly the quote has now gone up £800 more. HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? Lets charge someone more for not having an income :thumbs:

so I then said, okay, I'll just accept the quote you gave to me in writing. No, you can't do that. So I was stumped...I wasn't paying £800+ more this year for an extra no claims I just recieved. So I said unless you let me accept the orginial quote you gave me, I'll go elsewhere. So they basically said Bubi. Wasn't expecting that!

Couple days later, rang up, said I got my old job back, and ended up getting the insurance a couple hundred pounds cheaper than there 1st quote. MAKES SENSE! :thumbs:

Edited by grundy225
  • Like 1

Couple days later, rang up, said I got my old job back, and ended up getting the insurance a couple hundred pounds cheaper than there 1st quote. MAKES SENSE! :thumsb:

If you also tell them you're actually 42 and really you have 20 years NCB, it'll be even cheaper still whilst also being no more illegal than your current fraud.

Couple days later, rang up, said I got my old job back, and ended up getting the insurance a couple hundred pounds cheaper than there 1st quote. MAKES SENSE! :thumbs:

If you also tell them you're actually 42 and really you have 20 years NCB, it'll be even cheaper still whilst also being no more illegal than your current fraud.

Meh I'm secure now :) Got a job a few weeks later, just couldn't justify paying that much difference for being unemployed.

Go to the end of it, and he goes unfortunatly the quote has now gone up £800 more. HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? Lets charge someone more for not having an income :thumbs:

As with most insurance peculiarities, this will be statistically driven.

It just felt like, the better paid job role you are in, the less you have to pay on insurance.

It just felt like, the better paid job role you are in, the less you have to pay on insurance.

Claims loss ratios for the unemployed are higher than those in employment, that's all.

Well I'll be giving you guys a shout in January, to see what you can do for me :)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Without modifications mainstream insurers like Admiral/Churchill will insure me for between £320 - £400 fully comp, protected no claims etc etc. However, declare the modifications and these shoot up quite a bit. I've recently dropped Flux after yet another stupid renewal quote, and have gone back to A-Plan - £438 fully comp, protected no claims, mods declared, like-for-like courtesy car, legal cover etc.

I assume the 'like-for-like' will end up being a 3.2 Audi TT not another Zed...but it'll be a nice set of wheels in the event something awful happens to the Zed.

EDIT - 37, 12 years NCD

Edited by andyvvc
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Without modifications mainstream insurers like Admiral/Churchill will insure me for between £320 - £400 fully comp, protected no claims etc etc. However, declare the modifications and these shoot up quite a bit. I've recently dropped Flux after yet another stupid renewal quote, and have gone back to A-Plan - £438 fully comp, protected no claims, mods declared, like-for-like courtesy car, legal cover etc.

I assume the 'like-for-like' will end up being a 3.2 Audi TT not another Zed...but it'll be a nice set of wheels in the event something awful happens to the Zed.

EDIT - 37, 12 years NCD

I had this same issue with Flux.

I moved from a Quiet area into the City I went from paying (Sorry american keyboard) $1000 a year to $2400

When i called them up and explained I might aswell cut my losses and move home they said 'Wait there a moment' went away and came back

$1400 instead?

I basically told them to do one, Pulling figures out of the air like that and dropping it by $1000!

Went back to Admiral and got insured for $960!

Moved back out of Cardiff now but... Wow!