Induction noise ?

J4CKO

Wouldn't mind a bit more but was baulking at the price of induction kits, I just cant get my head round spending £300 on one, are there any cheaper options ?

Do the panel filters make any more noise ?

Edited by J4CKO

Wouldn't mind a bit more but was baulking at the price of induction kits, I just cant get my head round spending £300 on one, are there any cheaper options ?

I'd say no. Nothing you'd notice anyway. Either do as marzman suggested & get a JWT pop charger or you going to have to bite the bullet and shell out some hard cash for a decent induction kit. As he mentioned Tarmac Sportz do some really good kits starting from £125 I believe going up to well over the £250 mark. :thumbs:

JTW are way cheaper than that and sound the best in most peoples opinions

Sort of a zzzzzzzzxchccchccccherrrrrrerpercheeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzz kind if noise.

• Like 2

On other car forums people have drilled holes in the standard box for noise changes, anyone tried it on here?

I did this. My previous car was an Audi TT Mk1 and a popular mod was to drill large holes in the stock airbox. It was known as a 'Wakbox' as a member called Wak had done various tests with different induction kits and filters etc and found no noticeable difference between expensive kits and the modified OEM box. The 'Wakbox' actually made the best sound.

Looking to carry this great sound over to my Zed, I did the same modification and ran for several 1000 miles with my airbox featuring new holes. The only effect it had was to increase the induction noise. I did not have any issues at all.

I only changed it because I had the opportunity of picking up a JWT popcharger cheap from the for sale section. The drilled airbox also looks standard as long as you don't go crazy with the hole cutter :)

Interesting, I think this logic can be applied anywhere really - like you say you just need to cut in the right spots so its looking OEM.

Yes you could put together your own kit Floyd, but JWT does it all for you. Once you have bought the flange (with the right connectors etc), air box (K&N go for about £45?) and made your own heat shield you are probably only £20 or £30 down on the JWT kit anyway which saves the hassle (especially with the heat shield) of pulling it all together and making it fit. Depends how handy you are. Also if you ever want to sell it on, its unlikely anyone would buy the homemade kit for anything more than £20?

I drilled the holes only on the underside of my airbox and a couple on the right hand side (facing away from the engine).

The airbox is sat in the shed somewhere ATM, but I can dig it out and take a few pics if anyone is interested :shrug:

But to get an idea of what was done, here's a link to 'The Wakbox' I mentioned: http://www.wak-tt.com/mods/ramair/cheapinduction.htm

Before it's mentioned - I do appreciate the TT has a 1.8 turbo engine, not a NA V6. However similar results were seen from the V6 3.2 TT owners (I checked this before attacking my Zed's airbox wit ha hole cutter)!

Wanted to keep the engine bay of my old Evo standard....but the standard airbox is restrictive in the inlet if running a bigger turbo (which I was).

Cheap mod was to cut a section out of side of airbox.

Didn't notice any sound increase but hard to tell in an Evo with 400hp :blush: :blush:

Got to be worth a try on the 350z - cant see it causing any probs providing you cut holes on the right side of filter, and ensure water cant flow in.

Suppose to get a rough idea - remove airbox lid, tape up your panel filter to intake and go for a spin!!! Obviously a short term fix...but will give you some idea before you start hacking away with the dremel..

Edited by aidan