We are as 'astonished' as you AVB

coldel

Unfortunately for football, there is a lot to gain by play acting and lots of players are very good at it. In rugby, very little to gain hence why you don't see it as much. (not that I watch much rugby outside internationals). I remember footy in the 80's and players having a go and staying on their feet no problem. Its not that the players of today are physically weak its just that there is nothing to gain by staying on your feet vs an opposition player who will go to ground to gain an advantage. Shame really.

There was an interesting experiment by Barnet FC a few years back, they self imposed a rule on the players that they could not speak to the referee at all unless spoken to and if there was a required in game conversation by the ref only the captain could speak to him. Actually made for a better game, but the feeling was they then couldn't leverage that pressure on the ref that other teams do so well (the constant chatter from the likes of Roy Keane during a match was well known to sway decisions).

If you want to see 'ard blokes watch UFC.

If want to rugby watch rugby.

If you want to watch football, watch football.

If you want to wear skirts......cool.

Hugo Loris was out cold on the pitch, regardless of other sports, FIFA say you should come off as a precaution.

He didn't.

Given the situation again, AVB would bring him off the field.

Agreed FIFA will chnage the policy on head injuries now to make it more clear I feel.

Regards playing on when injured, yeah, that's hero stuff that, only way to be a man.

Ask Bob Wilson how many years he lost as a pro and how his knee feels now after playing on when he should have come off in the '72 FA Cup.

Sorry, I don't buy that Neanderthal attitude.

The difference is that in Rugby <snip> you can defend yourself in some shape or form, with football your head is woefully exposed as you are 90% of the time not allowed to use your arms or hands in any shape or form or raise them.

Eh? The guy got kneed in the head, in the last month alone Ive seen two League players get hit/kneed, be out cold, then get up and play the rest of the match. Boxing may involve gloves and protecting yourself but its 36 minutes of being constantly hit in the head, theres not really a parallel there ........... :dry:

Fair play to Loris IMO, no doubt all goalies will now have to wear crash helmets next season though. :stir:

I used to love a good kick around and playing football, its a great game to play, but I can't stand watching it. FIFA has ruined the UK game. And left the English leagues with very little home grown talent. Football could learn a lot from rugby. UK football needs to cap salaries and take agents out of the picture. They need to limit the amount of foreign players on a team to say no more than 35%. They need to make full use of the video ref for decisions. Players need to respect the refs decision. Respect needs to be brought back to the game. Money has ruined the sport, the players have become over paid pitch diving fairies. They used to say football as a sport played by gentlemen. But I struggle to see any of that kind of conduct in the sport anymore. When my kids are old enough I'm more than happy to take them to a rugby game. But football is not an atmospheric sport id be happy exposing my kids to. Just watch kids play it at the grass routes level, with parents swearing and threatening refs. The racism at club level. And the greed and heavily publicized infidelity. Homophobia etc etc I could go on. Football is not a sport to find role models in. Rugby, you take a nock, you get back up and you soldier on. I yearn for the day football returns to the quality and high standard game it used to be.

I would not disagree with you Rich, although painting rugby as a shining example is a little tainted. Plenty of players being banned for all sorts in rugby from gouging eye to spitting, deliberate stamping on people and various other serious offences. It just doesn't get the media coverage.

I remember the FA trying to impose foreigner restrictions but it was booted out by the clubs (who felt they couldn't compete without having the capability to field their best team regardless of nationality) and that by imposing that rule you restricted the rules in place for working within and across the EU. Although I would be the first person to stick my hand up for a yes to go back to that.

The problem with football is not the players, its the rules within the game and the way they are administered. As soon as automatic reds for raising hands, last ditch tackles etc came into play players were going down left right and centre to get other players sent off, and it continued from there.

I know there is bad behaviour in rugby, the difference is that regardless of the player and the action they still respect the ref and the decision. They go to the sin bin, they call the ref sir, and they don't challenge the ref. If the refs not sure he gets the video ref involved. Evidence is then undisputable and people follow it. You don't find people lobbing flairs and smoke grenades at lines men in rugby. You don't have to be segregated to watch rugby, you can drink alcohol during the game. You'll find supporters of either teams sharing a pub. There are no rugby firms meeting up for fights. Or sectarianism based club support. Football is a passionate game but I do feel sometimes alot of that passion is miss placed.

Yep it is.

Lots of it is well placed though again it gets no coverage whatsoever. I was at a Man Utd Sunderland game once at Old Trafford, they absolutely played Sunderland off the pitch but their travelling fans kept singing. At the end of the game all the Man Utd fans stood, faced the Sunderland fans and gave them a good 30 seconds round of applause! Probably the same weekend some one completely dissociated with football threw a flare on the pitch and made the news...

The referees in football have no power whatsoever. It doesn't take a genius to lip read what some players get away with when they talk to referees. Its disgusting. I like the idea of sin bins and they are desperately needed in football. Football shouldnt emulate rugby (calling in replays etc as it would soon take away the frenetic appeal that football has) but a few simple changes to give the ref back his power would make a massive diffference.

I yearn for the day football returns to the quality and high standard game it used to be.

I think you need to change the lenses in your specs mate - UK Football from the mid 70's pretty much until the Sky era was as boring as shyte, playing the long ball incessantly and with very little flair or skill being shown anywhere. Black players would get pelted with bananas and the crowd was full of hooligans, I know my old man never took me to a match for this exact reason. Whenever we played anywhere outside of the UK at club or national level we'd either get played right off the pitch or end up grinding a victory out, it was a snoozefest.

Youve now got whats generally known as the best league in the world, with the best players from round the world, flair and skill all over the place, next to no hooliganism, less racism than anywhere else in the world, more success in Champions League than any other country and more people watching the Prem than any other league.

The stuff you talk about (diving, racism, bad examples for kids, hooliganism) are not only present everywhere in the world, they are a damn sight worse than they are here.

Regards playing on when injured, yeah, that's hero stuff that, only way to be a man.

Ask Bob Wilson how many years he lost as a pro and how his knee feels now after playing on when he should have come off in the '72 FA Cup.

I'll stick to being a Neanderthal I think....I know who I'd rather look up to

Terry_Butcher_2662091b.jpg

Ashley-Young-PI_20130412090001789_660_320.JPG

Edited by Ricey

Would have to strongly disagree with paragraph one there mate, strongly. Snoozefest? 1986 the Lineker and Beardsley partnership for England was brilliant for example. Anyone that followed the Hammers would know of immensely skillful players like Alan Devonshire, hell even Liam Brady in his latter years. I remember watching games played on bogs of pitches that would have most premier league players turning their noses up with their ballet shoe boots on yet seeing Kevin Keen skipping across the surface down the wings.

The premier league has 'all the best players'? What like Ronaldo and Messi? The ballon d'or trophy this year has a total of 4 players from the premier league in it out of some twenty odd nominations. No the premier league despite its best efforts to convince us via Sky Sports is not the runaway best league in the world, its probably the highest paying, but is hardly the league with the best players.

I'll stick to being a Neanderthal I think....I know who I'd rather look up to

Terry_Butcher_2662091b.jpg

Ashley-Young-PI_20130412090001789_660_320.JPG

What about this fella, never dives, takes loads of knocks and never goes down, so all round tough guy which is what every player should be

joey-barton_682_1382493a-11.jpg

Yep. If Joey Barton kept his gob shut he'd be a good old fashioned 'shithouse'.......bit like Robbie Savage. Hard players who take on the villain roles. Football needs the bad guys.

I watch football to be entertained.......they should be the closest thing I have to a modern day gladiator. They get paid tens and hundreds of thousands of pounds A WEEK......they're bodies should be pushed and punished to the edge and beyond of physical endurance. If my goalie wanted to play on after being knocked out I'd cheer the roof off the ground for him because he's putting himself on the line for me and my club and so he should for the 'danger money' he's being paid.

I want to see my team coming off the park bleeding and throwing up they've put so much in. I want to see Duncan Ferguson knock the living **** out of Pascal Chimbonda and strangle the life out of Stefan Freund because he's that wound up. I want to see players riling the crowd up when they take a corner.

And the absence of all this is why I barely give a @*!# about the team I've supported for 31 years. Football is dying because the legends don't exist, the players are boring, overpaid, weak minded, weak bodied, plebs who have no endearment to the common man.

Anyone that followed the Hammers would know of immensely skillful players like Alan Devonshire, hell even Liam Brady in his latter years. I remember watching games played on bogs of pitches that would have most premier league players turning their noses up with their ballet shoe boots on yet seeing Kevin Keen skipping across the surface down the wings.

Thats kind of the point though, if you want to return to grinding out games on bogs then thats all well and good, but if youre telling me that Devonshire and Brady could hold a candle to Ozil, Mata or Suarez then keep your rose tints by all means ;)

It sounds like youre old enough to remember the difference between the "British" style and the "European" style of football, come on man, which would you rather sit for 90 minutes and watch? :)

The premier league has 'all the best players'? What like Ronaldo and Messi? The ballon d'or trophy this year has a total of 4 players from the premier league in it out of some twenty odd nominations. No the premier league despite its best efforts to convince us via Sky Sports is not the runaway best league in the world, its probably the highest paying, but is hardly the league with the best players.

4 nominations out of 20 is a fifth which isnt bad, its not like we are the only country that plays football in the world ......... and how many of the nominees have played in the Prem at one time or another, half?

So which league does have the best players then? I think the Prem is in with as much of a shout as anyone, and the competitiveness and standard is second to none - there are only two teams in Spain (funnily enough the two with the biggest chequebooks in Europe) end every other league has no more than 4/5 teams that might win it and 16 runners up every year. You cant deny UK teams success in the Champions League, but I guess we just have 4 lucky teams every year, and we have less diving, and more competitive football than anywhere else - watch a Serie A game between two midtable teams and tell me you wouldnt rather have been watching any Premiership game instead.

I notice as well you havent mentioned the hooliganism, racism or the worldwide viewing audience, you cant just ignore stuff like that if youre trying to make a case against the Prem.

Edited by docwra

The perm is a joke with only about 5 teams with any chance of winning as they have the biggest budgets. Best league in the world that's easy. The rugby union or rugby league leagues. Teams are fairly evenly matched, and when our plays coete at an international level they actually have a chance of winning. Until FIFA invest in British players and training we've got about as much chance of winning as I have of playing for Brazil.

I think there are 23 nominations, 4 out of that is not a lot from the self proclaimed best league in the world. I think saying the Spanish league is just two teams is somewhat naive, I didn't see the Premiership champions roll over Sociedad the other night. If I look at mid table of the Prem at the moment I would be looking at West Brom vs Hull City, in Serie A right now it's AC Milan vs Udinese - hardly day and night as to which would prove better quality.

The Prem has only really been won by Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd in general with the odd appearance of Blackburn and Man City throwing the money at it. No different to Barca and Real wining the league regularly and certainly Serie A is more open. Certainly Athletico Madrid are a match for most teams in Europe.

Back to my original point that you said it has all the best players, which clearly isn't true.

Ahhh, whatever, I still think that the overall standard of player in the Prem is better than anywhere and the games are much better to watch, I also dont think Man U and Arsenal have dominated it anything like Barca and Real have but Im sure you will disagree. Sure, Valencia, Sociedad, Atletico etc. are good teams, but they arent making Champions League quarter finals every year are they?

The Bundesliga is the only other league to rival it IMO.

Ahhh, whatever, I still think that the overall standard of player in the Prem is better than anywhere and the games are much better to watch, I also dont think Man U and Arsenal have dominated it anything like Barca and Real have but Im sure you will disagree. Sure, Valencia, Sociedad, Atletico etc. are good teams, but they arent making Champions League quarter finals every year are they?

The Bundesliga is the only other league to rival it IMO.

But do you honestly feel anywhere near as passionate about it as you did in the 80's/90's and early naughties?

Maybe it's an a Everton fan thing but I'd (and the rest of my ilk) would rather see a blood curdling challenge than a nice piece of skill. We'd rather lose 4 nil passionately than 1 nil tactically and we worship players like Leighton Baines more than we ever will players like Kevin Mirallas.