Replacing sidelight bulb

samsniss350z

I'm not sure if anyone read the Daily Telegraph back in March but if you did you would have seen an article about the cost of changing the bulbs in the headlight of the 350Z, £295, yep that's right £295. This article came from Which Magazine who did a survey on the cost of general maintenance on cars. Their way of replacing bulbs consisted of basically stripping down the front of the car by removing the bumper etc. My sidelight bulb failed the other day and it took me all of 15 minutes to replace it and I didn't have to take the front bumper off as recommended by the guys at Which. All I did was remove two screws holding the inner arch in place and pulled it to one side. I reached in, turned the bulb body half a turn and then removed it. The bulb is a push fit so it was a doddle to remove and replace. To put it all back together again is the reverse of taking it to bits. All it cost was a replacement bulb and fifteen minutes of my time, saving me a total cost of £293.

I did mine with the wheel on not really knowing what I was doing - it took about an hour.

An hour?!! Was that with a 50 minute tea break in between changing bulbs? :lol:;) Haven't done my side lights yet but I've had a look & guess that it should take about 5 minutes a side. Hopefully I'm right, don't fancy taking the wheels off just to change a bulb & definitely not the bumper. :D Edited by GMballistic

I did mine with the wheel on not really knowing what I was doing - it took about an hour.

An hour?!! Was that with a 50 minute tea break in between changing bulbs? :lol:;) Haven't done my side lights yet but I've had a look & guess that it should take about 5 minutes a side. Hopefully I'm right, don't fancy taking the wheels off just to change a bulb & definitely not the bumper. :D

Possibly a 15 minute break....

Either way it wasn't what I'd call a 5 minute job personally. I just found it awkward more than anything else and not something I'd look forward to doing again.

An hour?!! Was that with a 50 minute tea break in between changing bulbs? :lol:;) Haven't done my side lights yet but I've had a look & guess that it should take about 5 minutes a side. Hopefully I'm right, don't fancy taking the wheels off just to change a bulb & definitely not the bumper. :D

Possibly a 15 minute break....

Either way it wasn't what I'd call a 5 minute job personally. I just found it awkward more than anything else and not something I'd look forward to doing again.

I'm pretty handy with tool's and have got skinny arms so hopefully it won't take me too long when I get around to it. :lol: I'll make sure I set aside an hour though & some tea just in case. ;):thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

Did you remove the front wheel Sam, or is it a case of "It would've been easier with the wheel removed, but still possible with it fitted"?

I did it with the wheel on, I didn't time myself and its the first time I've done it but it was a doddle and couldn't have taken more than 10 or 15 minutes.

• Like 1