Christmas Meet & Social - **CANCELLED**

14N

Hi All,

Choptop and I are trying to get the wheels (yes, they're the right offset, staggered fit, no spacers required, fitted with good tyres before anyone asks) in motion for a national Christmas (there - I said it, I said the 'C' word) meet and forum get-to-gether. :gathering:

Details are a little lite at the moment as we would need to have a greater understanding of numbers involved before looking to book venues for a meal etc. Appreciate the clock is ticking though.

But, what we do have so far is a date and location (as in city).

When: Saturday 7th December

Where: Birmingham. Previous similar events have been held here as it's centrally located for (almost) everyone and has good access to the road and rail networks.

Initial thoughts are; we meet at a bar or restaurant on Broad Street for a forum Xmas meal and social event and then spill out onto Broad Street taking advantage of it's numerous establishments offering entertainment of a differing variety ;):drunk::wiggle:

There are many hotels on or within easy reach of Broad Street and plenty of parking available in NCP style car parks and/or at the hotels themselves.

A quick search of a few of the hotels returns a variety of rates and availability for the 7th, I've given an idea below of what's been found so far. If you do find anything better/different/more suitable/cheaper, please let everyone else know.

Copthorne Hotel, Paradise Circus £89

Thistle City Centre, £67

Jury's Inn, Broad Street £81

Travelodge Broad Street £72

IBIS Birmingham £65

Ramada Birmingham £76

Menzies Birmingham Hagley Rd £66

The famous German Christmas Market will also be running at this time and is also located on Broad Street, so you/we can have a good look around here either on the Saturday before the meal or on Sunday as and when you surface.

This is a forum event, open to all. Not just a regional meet, hence the reason we though a central location would be best. Any further suggestions and/or recommendations are welcomed (such as hotels and restaurants etc).

So, who'd be up for this then? Can we start a list? (Please also indicate any +1's to give an indication on numbers).

1. Choptop

2. 14N

3. Ekona +1

4. Ph 7

5. BrummieStormer +1

:santa:

Edited by 14N

I'm at the German market the day before on the lash. I don't know if these old bones can do a double header! You can almost certainly stick Tracy and I down. I'll confirm it later.

Just a thought about the structure of the day, and this is entirely self serving so I apologise in advance.

I'm assuming there will be a lot of cars turning up of interest to people, would it be worth doing the event in two stages?

Similar to the cosford event, a midday meet somewhere beforehand allowing people to meet and greet before the evening and allow the local west mids guys and gals to bring their cars.

That way the people who have travelled far can pop round the markets or park their cars at hotels while people like myself can drop their cars back home before travelling back in by taxi/metro etc. as a local I wouldn't be staying in the city so wouldn't have my car normally.

Obviously this is made on the assumption that everyone one is travelling down in their zeds. It would be a shame to have so many in the area and not get them together.

If I've misread the idea and there aren't a lot of cars coming down/up/sideways into the area and it is more just the social side then ignore this babbling on.

Sounds cool. I'm in Brum for the next 5 weeks for work. I'll do some painstaking research on the drinking establishments and eateries, every night if I have to.

Good stuff. Your devotion to the cause is duly noted :lol:

We're in a bit of a catch 22 situation with finding a venue. Availability is going to be limited because of Xmas parties.

If I/we try find a venue that can seat (for example 10) then we get 30 members say they can make it, we'll have a problem.

Equally if I/we and find somewhere that can accommodate 30 of us and then only 10 of you can make it, we will again have a problem.

Ideally that's why we need to get an idea of numbers sooner. If you're free on the date and can make it to Brim, please let us know. That way we can try find a venue. The longer its left, the harder it will be I feel.

And if anyone has visited anywhere or can make suggestions (even if it's so Super Stu can go 'sample the goods' all ideas are welcome.

In Brum tonight, the travel tavern was full so I'm here:

http://www.castlebromwichhallhotel.co.uk

Good value for what it is, but middle of nowhere. If you're bringing the wife and fancy something stately homeish but for under £80 you can't beat it. Also haunted apparently. I won't be able to get into town, but I am ghost hunting with Yvette Fielding later and there's Ethernet in the bog. Result!

• Like 1

Whereabouts in Brum are you working Stu? Anywhere near Moor St, New St, Bull Ring, Pallidades?

I'm in and out of Fort Dunlop the next few weeks. It was supposed to be 4 straight weeks, but it's changed to once a week now with the client. Not spent time in Birmingham before, looking forward to it TBH, canals and curry and beautiful Asian babies. Might be my kind of town...