will this damage anything (loose metal)

bigmike20vt

Hi.

the lid for the astray in my car broke. I took it out to glue it. The well that this fits in has a small hole - about the size of a match box.

The hole drops inside the big plastic surround which goes to the gears etc.

The problem is that I took the car to the car wash, and put the locking wheelnut in my pocket for when they cleaned the car.

on returning to the car, I put it back in the well where the ashtray went (I didnt know there was a hole then).

I am sure you can guess the rest of the story.

I CAN see the locking wheelnut, but am stuffed if i can get at it.

My questions are

1) is there anything it can get tangled in to cause any damage

2) if so is it easy to take the centre console out (if you guys think i need to i will get on a google)

3) I am assuming a garage will still be able to get the wheels off, but for me, is there anywhere i can get a replacement key from cheap, or are they all unque.

thanks

Mike

:(

Edited by bigmike20vt

If you can see it get yourself a flexible retrieval tool (is a long thin springy tool that allows you to open the jaws by pressing on the plunger at the top). You might be able to get hold of the locknut and pull it out.

I bought one and a magnetic ended one from Halfords long time ago and find them invaluable for when you can see what you dropped but can't reach it.

David

These two things can save you hours. The grabber is indispensable for non-ferrite objects, which is good when your putting ally or titanium or plastic nuts & bolts in places. Best thing is, they're cheap as chips. Mine has a little LED on the end too, which is a nice touch.

Whilst you're magging up, the magnetic dishes for storing nuts and bolts rule too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/STAINLESS-STEEL-MAGNETIC-SCREW-BOLTS/dp/B0043MCC52

Centre is super easy to take out.

Two screws on either side at the rear (level-ish with the seats), two at the front under the gear stick trim (that just pops out if pulled upwards from around the leather gaiter).

Then its just a few plugs to unplug and it can be taken out completely.

Good luck :thumbs:

Edit: Forgot one under the ashtray!

Edited by longsh07

You want a magnetic pickup tool like this I reckon :)

http://buymagnets.co...gnets-Flexible/

Got mine from Halfords for like £4 or so.

...... Or is a locking wheel but socket stainless??

You can get the exact same thing but with a little plunger on the drop which ejects a little claw. Its ace.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNETIC-PICK-UP-HAND-TOOL-FLEXIBLE-LONG-REACH-MAGNETIC-PICK-UP-HAND-TOOL-/350895932949?pt=UK_Baby_BabyFeedingUtensils_EH&hash=item51b3070615

If you slide the seat Forwards you will see a screw, this holds the centre console plastics to the trabnsmission tunnel.

Once you have undone this, the bade of the console flexes quite a lot and you should be able to get the locker out that way. Ive ran cabled and done wiring jobs all without removing the console totally.

Luckilly its quite thin plastic so bends fairly easily. There are a few wires, mostly for the mobile phone cradle and handbrake stuff, nothing hidden though its all very much on show under there.

Edited by cs2000