Aftermarket headers

daz-zn

As the title says aftermarket headers whats your take on them?

Who has them, are you happy with them, do you get any decent gain from one?

Ive spoken to a few people and some say the standard headers are plenty good enough, but also seen there are a lot of aftermarket ones for sale across the pond

Im looking at getting a exhaust and wondering what the pros and cons are with getting them

Thanks

Daz

Edited by daz-zn

Ive got my Dc sports ceramic coated ones going on in a few weeks, the stock isnt great on the DE but the HR has equal length as standard. There's definitely good gains to be had on the DE. Dont get cheap ones like japspeed or megan. Brands id look at would be DC Sports, stillen, nismo if you have lots of money :lol: or if I hadn't got my dc's for a good deal id have got Tomei ones.

Ive got my Dc sports ceramic coated ones going on in a few weeks, the stock isnt great on the DE but the HR has equal length as standard. There's definitely good gains to be had on the DE. Dont get cheap ones like japspeed or megan. Brands id look at would be DC Sports, stillen, nismo if you have lots of money :lol: or if I hadn't got my dc's for a good deal id have got Tomei ones.

Japspeed ones are a copy of dc's. The insides are a little rougher but and they are usually stainless rather than cermac. I'd agree to get dc ones minimum but if you was fitting them yourself i'd go with the copies personally.

Doesn't make the exhaust sound different though.

I have a 2004, thats the DE engine is that right?

Those DC sports ones look the business :) just been looking them up

I will be Trying to fit these myself, have heard they can be a real pain in the ass to get off and on... Dont mind going for the copys if there is a little gain to be had and rather spend my money on a decent exhaust...

Sounds like its worth the effort of putting aftermarket ones on, be it the top money brands or the cheapies

Thanks for the quick answers Arron & Dblock :thumbs:

General rule of thumb is yes there are good gains but the cost of fitting out weighs the gains. Your looking at around a 12 hour job for fitting and that's if you know your way round the car engine bay. If doing yourself there are definitely savings to be made and gains to be had. If a garages is doing it, and they charge around £30 an hour your looking at a £400 fitting bill, excluding the purchase. Taking that into account and the work required to fit, I wouldn't be putting cheap crap in, because if a weld fails or a pipe cracks, I don't want to be having to go back and do it all again to fix it.

General rule of thumb is yes there are good gains but the cost of fitting out weighs the gains. Your looking at around a 12 hour job for fitting and that's if you know your way round the car engine bay. If doing yourself there are definitely savings to be made and gains to be had. If a garages is doing it, and they charge around £30 an hour your looking at a £400 fitting bill, excluding the purchase. Taking that into account and the work required to fit, I wouldn't be putting cheap crap in, because if a weld fails or a pipe cracks, I don't want to be having to go back and do it all again to fix it.

Also true.

Japspeed are copies of dc sports but I bet the quality is no way near, dc sports and stillen are the most sensibly priced but great quality

do it once do it properly imo it's not a nice job but well worth it if the opportunity arises

• 2 weeks later...

I have been considering the DC Sports headers for the DE, possibly a silly question, but what' is the difference between the ceramic and SS? Apart from cost is it just aesthetics? Also is it beneficial to wrap them in order to minimise heat levels within the engine bay?

£30 an hour? Are we travelling back in time to fit them :lol:

Sent from the Jaaaaaag at the golf club

YAAAARRRRRRRPPPPPPPPPP

• Like 1

£30 an hour! I live in the wrong place!!

£30 an hour! I live in the wrong place!!

Jag dealership near me is £135 an hour labour. The guys I use build race cars as well. Not just maintain customers cars. No reason why you can't come use my mechanics. Lucky me I suppose. There body shop is also the bmw dealership repair garage. Top notch work at sensible prices.

I have been considering the DC Sports headers for the DE, possibly a silly question, but what' is the difference between the ceramic and SS? Apart from cost is it just aesthetics? Also is it beneficial to wrap them in order to minimise heat levels within the engine bay?

I went for Ceramic as to me it seemed the better coating plus SS was mega bucks. I heard you shouldn't wrap them as it can cause cracking and the ceramic is good enough. Do some research but I don't think wrapping it would be that bad but it might not help either.