Dario Franchitti huge Indicar accident last eve in the Huston GP

WhackyWill

Ouch. That really, really didn't look good. :(

However, I now want to go watch an Indycar race. Looking at how relatively basic the vehicles are (although I'm sure they're not, they just don't look as fiddly as F1 IYSWIM) and how close you can get to the action, that looks exactly like my kind of motor racing.

I heard Dario broke his back as well, bad times. Get well soon :thumbs:

Dario is expected to make a full recovery, That's good news. Lucky chap :thumbs: :thumbs: .

The driver, a three times winner of the Indianapolis 500, was removed from the car and taken to hospital where he has been examined and diagnosed as suffering from concussion, a fractured right ankle and a fractured vertebra. Franchitti will not require surgery, although he will be kept in hospital overnight.

Indycar racing is far more dangerous than F1 and that's despite all the efforts that have been put in to making the cars safer, You basically have 3 different types of tracks, The Ovals, The street circuits and the standard racing tracks . Ovals are very dangerous, high speeds, concrete walls, catch fencing and banked corners, cars 2 or 3 wide slipstreaming at 230 mph, a recipe for disaster. The street circuits are pretty dangerous too, made even more so by the vast differences in driving standards. You have some F1 rejects, some guys who weren't good enough to make F1 and a load of locals and rich South Americans. The racing is a great spectacle though if you can get through the constant yellow flag stoppages and the American commentator saying "wow" every few minutes.

Franchitti was indeed lucky to get out of that crash but after Dan Wheldon's accident they redisgned the rear end of the cars so they shouldn't really launch themselves like that,

Pete