350Z Weight

Jetpilot

Would be great if we could make this a sticky if its a popular thread :)

I keep hearing a fair bit about 350z's being heavy, so being curious i popped to my local scrap metal dealer and asked a favour if they would put it on the weighbridge.

I was impressed, 1460kgs, its a JDM with brembos, heavy old 19's and tyres and loads of audio (amps and subs), spare tyre out though. So i reckon with some nice light track 18's and tyres, sub box out i could get 1400kgs, maybe a shade under with some lightweight buckets.

To put that into prospective, a Rx7 weighs 1280kgs and thats regarded as lightweight, road car wise, so 120 kgs more imho is not monumental at all :) Half of that could be the difference between me and a fatster ;)

Be curious if anyone else has done or would do the same :)

Edited by Jetpilot

Putting figures aside it certainly feels like a heavy car when behind the wheel.

I'm not sure what an EP3 type R weighs but I know that felt very light to drive compared to the Z, it was much more chuckable.

I guess it depends a lot on what you are used to or come from, Civic is lighter.

My post was more out of surprise as i thought they are listed as a fair bit over 1500kg.

If anyone else has weighed their zed please share and list brief spec :)

I didnt weigh the decats or exhaust before i put them on although should have done :( as it would be interesting to see the saved difference.

Going to target 1400kg or less, will return to weighbridge once i have some track wheels and audio out.

I have a carbon boot and wing waiting to go on in place of the oem boot. That is a massive saving in weight.

Also ripped out the oem seats and replaced with recaro's

Can you do a before and after weight on individual parts Neil, perhaps a gross weight after, would be very interesting?

Edited by Jetpilot

I'll do checks on the boot but I'm sure Keyser said its about 50-60kgs difference. I can't do the rest as the car has already been transformed. I already have a cage in which added a little bit more weight but nothing to disadvantage the car as the car has very minimal body flex now making the car alot more precise to drive. My car has had so much changes a gross after weight would not be a great guide for other people.

There used to be a thread on here where somebody weighed all there parts.

My car is a facelift so weights may vary to previous models.

I'm hoping to have carbon doors on the car next year depending on money situation as I'm trying to build/by a house at the moment.

The doors are supposed to be a crazy weight saving when you change them over but I will need cross bars fitted to the cage to stop any serious damage to myself in the event of an accident as there will be literally zero side protection.

Putting figures aside it certainly feels like a heavy car when behind the wheel.

I'm not sure what an EP3 type R weighs but I know that felt very light to drive compared to the Z, it was much more chuckable.

You should try to lose unsprung mass as this is where weight reduction counts the most.

Looking at your sig it looks like you have 18" OEM alloys which are very heavy, I know as I used to have them.

Try some lighter alloys and I'm sure that would help it feel a lot nimbler.

I don't think the Zed is particularly heavy. However, all the control inputs - the steering, clutch and gearbox, along with the lazy throttle travel make it 'feel' heavy to drive. Other cars are engineered to feel light, light gearshift, zingy throttle etc and that adds to the perception.

You guys also have to take into account where you're taking the weight loss from.

Don't go shedding weight because its making it lighter, its where the weight is coming off of from the perspective of what area off the car.

Taking as much weight off the top of the car is going to be more helpful in more area's than taking it off from the bottom. Your CoG is going to be lower, meaning more stability in corners etc.

I'll do checks on the boot but I'm sure Keyser said its about 50-60kgs difference. I can't do the rest as the car has already been transformed. I already have a cage in which added a little bit more weight but nothing to disadvantage the car as the car has very minimal body flex now making the car alot more precise to drive. My car has had so much changes a gross after weight would not be a great guide for other people.

There used to be a thread on here where somebody weighed all there parts.

My car is a facelift so weights may vary to previous models.

I'm hoping to have carbon doors on the car next year depending on money situation as I'm trying to build/by a house at the moment.

The doors are supposed to be a crazy weight saving when you change them over but I will need cross bars fitted to the cage to stop any serious damage to myself in the event of an accident as there will be literally zero side protection.

I can't be sure, but i swear i have read that the doors on the 350Z are part of the rigid structure of the car, if you take those away and replace them full with carbon fibre there will be more flex in the body of the car.

Don't take my word for it, i was also looking into getting carbon doors too and the rest! But this was over a year ago, so i could be wrong.

Edited by Drayvn

You guys also have to take into account where you're taking the weight loss from.

Weight loss from anywhere is better than no weight loss at all though. Ergo .........

Don't go shedding weight because its making it lighter

isnt really an accurate statement is it? Besides, if you really want to get techy about it, any car running on coilovers can be corner weioghted to restore lost balance anyway. :)

I can't be sure, but i swear i have read that the doors on the 350Z are part of the rigid structure of the car, if you take those away and replace them full with carbon fibre there will be more flex in the body of the car.

Not an issue if youre running a cage, and if youre not running a cage with carbon doors you are mental anyway ;)

• Like 2