Petrol fuel system cleaner any use for zed ?

fairladyz2013

i been using redex for all my vehicles (kawasaki Ninja 636 included) for many years..

and redex is known for cleaning up stuttering type issues etc

i guess i never ever had that issue, probably due to periodically using redex,

prevention better than cure right ?

Yea that's why I thought I'll get some form of petrol cleaner to prevent any build up 😄

What about sea foam? I also saw an episode of Wheel Dealers , where Ed China used a machine that pumped chemicals into the car whilst the engine was running. I think it was called 'Fuel Induction Cleaning', and have often wondered if it was a service available to the public. Would it offer any real benefits?

that process is called Terraclean and its available across the UK, have considered getting the XKR done. a few on the XK forum have had it done and spoken positively of the impact its had.

The episode the chap was talking about was on a jaguar xk8. Would be good if it became common practise.

Seafoam is a entire engine cleaner.

You get a can, put 1/3 in petrol to clean fuel injection system, 1/3 in oil to clean oil lines/channels and 1/3 you use a vacuum hose that feeds all cylinders which takes it into the pistons cleaning that out.

When you're done you leave the engine off for 15 mins, then go and fire it up, and this happens.

The amount of smoke that came out the back of my Celica when I did it was astonishing. You are advised to drive enthusiastically to get rid of the freed deposits of crap, but the first time I put my foot down the car almost stalled with a huge cloud coming out of the rear. It picked up immediately and smoked for about 15 mins of driving which is normal.

I did have a small oil burning issue on that car, seafoam stopped it completely. I guess something had gummed up in the engine somewhere allowing a little oil to get burnt and the seafoam cleaned it all off.

I need to do it on the 350 really.

You don't have to put the can in the oil either, Seafoam say you don't have to change the oil afterwards, I found you do, as did many others as it thins the oil slightly. It can clog up your spark plugs too if your engine is in a really bad state. As I say, it was fine on the celica, that had done 120,000 miles and was burning oil for at least 15,000 of those, spark plugs survived fine.

Heres a guy who has documented the process on his LS1 engine http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/534376-how-seafoam-your-car.html

Edited by cs2000

I'm dubious about seafoam and terraclean. They might work as I used diesel purge on my diesel and it works great but to clean the engine I recomend just changing the oil after 1k miles as the oil will gently clean the engine. Sometimes the dirt and gunk are holding your engine together :lol:

Sometimes you are correct mate!

I think on very high mileage/classic car type engines I wouldn't chance it, but even on my 120k celica that hadnt ever been looked after till i got it, it did a very good job and cured my oil burning issue!

Il try it on the zed, but probably not till next year what with Christmas/saving for a house/saving for a PS4 coming up :(

I am in the process of trying to find a place to do it this weekend. I will report back my findings.

Fluke, I did it in my driveway. You really don't get much smoke out the rear until you nail the pedal, there is smoke yes, but not terrible. Id give it some beans somewhere else though first, as I say with mine the first time I floored it I almost stalled because of the cloud coming out of the rear, I did this down my road too :blush: