Time to replace the 350z - opinions...

bodeboo

I don't know why people are keen to mention the GT 86 ,,, it really is rubbish and just don't get it :shrug: it isn't that cheap, just about every hatch back with the word hot infront of it will leave it at the lights (deal breaker itself) but we are forgetting its rwd, so is an much cheaper mx5 which is still faster than that. Anyone want to explain the appeal ?

Have you driven one? Its not just about paper figures ...... as this thread demonstrates excellently ;)

• Like 1

I don't know why people are keen to mention the GT 86 ,,, it really is rubbish and just don't get it :shrug: it isn't that cheap, just about every hatch back with the word hot infront of it will leave it at the lights (deal breaker itself) but we are forgetting its rwd, so is an much cheaper mx5 which is still faster than that. Anyone want to explain the appeal ?

If being left at the lights is a deal breaker then, yes, it would be hard to explain the appeal of a Caterham 1.4 Supersport (one of the sweetest models made) or an Alfasud or and indeed, a GT86. An early morning trip on your favourite B road might though.

If being left at the lights is a deal breaker then, yes, it would be hard to explain the appeal of a Caterham 1.4 Supersport (one of the sweetest models made) or an Alfasud or and indeed, a GT86. An early morning trip on your favourite B road might though.

I am not saying the car will be lifeless and boring however I would put money on going from a Zed to a gt86 you wouldn't be happy with the power at you feet. I just don't see anyone who can argue the point of this car which I would not budge on. The top price currently on auto is 36K for a car that can get of the line to 60 in 7.6 secs. Tell me a sports car for that money on sale today that is worse than that. It isnt small like the vx or elise that you could say it would be a monster in the corners, although I will admit it might be half decent around a bend but with no power to pull it out its a waste. Very nice to look at but if I bought one in someone in a 370z pulled up next to me at the lights I would feel stupid.

I am not saying the car will be lifeless and boring however I would put money on going from a Zed to a gt86 you wouldn't be happy with the power at you feet. I just don't see anyone who can argue the point of this car which I would not budge on. The top price currently on auto is 36K for a car that can get of the line to 60 in 7.6 secs. Tell me a sports car for that money on sale today that is worse than that. It isnt small like the vx or elise that you could say it would be a monster in the corners, although I will admit it might be half decent around a bend but with no power to pull it out its a waste. Very nice to look at but if I bought one in someone in a 370z pulled up next to me at the lights I would feel stupid.

Each to his own. This is like trying to explain why some people prefer Jazz or heavy metal. I owned a 2CV once so I have a high level of resilience to the traffic light beauty parade :lol:

MX-5 2.0L isn't quicker than a BRZ86, trust me. I've driven all three and the BRZ is by far my favourite.

Isn't that much between them that I would go shouting about, both pretty slow. I know there is more to driving than smashing it off the line but having power at your feet must be high on the list on this forum of all places ! !

I am not saying the car will be lifeless and boring however I would put money on going from a Zed to a gt86 you wouldn't be happy with the power at you feet.

Put it this way, Ive got a MK3 MR2 (140hp), a GTI-6 (167hp), a 350Z (300ish hp) and an all singing and dancing 400hp 200SX track car (or I did, thanks concrete wall :lol:)

Notice the order - it looks like a list thats increasing in terms of power and performance but its actually in correct order as far as sheer driving pleasure goes, particularly on the road rather than the track, at a recent day at Anglsey the MR2 was miles more fun than the Zed was simply because you had to work harder at it :)

• Like 1

I am not saying the car will be lifeless and boring however I would put money on going from a Zed to a gt86 you wouldn't be happy with the power at you feet.

Put it this way, Ive got a MK3 MR2 (140hp), a GTI-6 (167hp), a 350Z (300ish hp) and an all singing and dancing 400hp 200SX track car (or I did, thanks concrete wall :lol:)

Notice the order - it looks like a list thats increasing in terms of power and performance but its actually in correct order as far as sheer driving pleasure goes, particularly on the road rather than the track, at a recent day at Anglsey the MR2 was miles more fun than the Zed was simply because you had to work harder at it :)

Totally differnt though, an Mr2 is a small car than you can fling about a track or a road. I would totally agree with that being a cracking car, but the difference in weight between the 370 and the GT86 (assuming you where comparing) is a slightly fat passenger, but you get 130 extra bhp, rwd and 2 seconds of a difference to 60. quite frankly these cars are in different leagues.

A GT86 is RWD.

If you look a few posts above you will see I already acknowledged that, I was pointing out you where still getting RWD. I wouldn’t compare a VXR, ST or type R to the GT86 although they would all leave it looking daft in a straight line, you would like to think the GT86 would make it up in the corners plus RWD is much more fun the FWD. Compared to a Zed, Z4 or Evo x (more than 2 seats) all in the same price bracket, it doesn’t win anything at all. Maybe the windows go up faster than theirs? :shrug:

Not asking you to agree but I will judge you if you buy one :lol:

A GT86 is RWD.

If you look a few posts above you will see I already acknowledged that, I was pointing out you where still getting RWD. I wouldn’t compare a VXR, ST or type R to the GT86 although they would all leave it looking daft in a straight line, you would like to think the GT86 would make it up in the corners plus RWD is much more fun the FWD. Compared to a Zed, Z4 or Evo x (more than 2 seats) all in the same price bracket, it doesn’t win anything at all. Maybe the windows go up faster than theirs? :shrug:

But it is different! :lol:

A GT86 is RWD.

But it is different! :lol:

Whats different ? :bangin:

Totally differnt though, an Mr2 is a small car than you can fling about a track or a road. I would totally agree with that being a cracking car, but the difference in weight between the 370 and the GT86 (assuming you where comparing) is a slightly fat passenger, but you get 130 extra bhp, rwd and 2 seconds of a difference to 60. quite frankly these cars are in different leagues.

The difference in weight between the Mr2 and GTI-6 and 200SX and 350Z is less than between a GT86 and and a 370Z.

Anyway, the point was that its not about numbers, its about how the car drives.

• Like 1

The difference in weight between the Mr2 and GTI-6 and 200SX and 350Z is less than between a GT86 and and a 370Z.

Anyway, the point was that its not about numbers, its about how the car drives.

I accept your point, but choose to disagree :lol::)

• Like 1

As instigator of this debate I want to thank everyone for the input and also apologise for all ruined friendships this subject has caused! I have enjoyed every minute.

If I am being honest it's not helped much (sorry) but reaffirmed the opinion that's its just down to what ticks my boxes at this moment in time. A couple of other options will be looked into and I do need to get out there and try some.

However, l think l have a favourite......drum roll please.........

Going to go for the Audi m3 nismo.

As instigator of this debate I want to thank everyone for the input and also apologise for all ruined friendships this subject has caused! I have enjoyed every minute.

If I am being honest it's not helped much (sorry) but reaffirmed the opinion that's its just down to what ticks my boxes at this moment in time. A couple of other options will be looked into and I do need to get out there and try some.

However, l think l have a favourite......drum roll please.........

Going to go for the Audi m3 nismo.

Nice. Way to keep us all happy ;)

Nice predicament to be man, that's some serious money and the choice of driver cars is yours.

First thing first, as has been stated already, power isn't everything, unless you just like traffic light GP's.

You will have more fun in a GT86 on track than you will in a 300hp A3. Well, I would anyway.

If it was my money (your £25K), I'd be looking Porsche, however, other than that I'd be looking at lower cost bracket cars.

My situation when I moved from my S2000 was that I needed something I could drive about in, then, when the mood took, just drive straight onto track and have a blast. I have a little Fiesta for daily driving so my 370Z just sits on the drive, giving me the ultimate feeling of, when I want it, it's there.

I can't really recommend cars for you as there are a lot of prerequisite that will determine what car you want/need. I could start listing cars and they could be a million miles away from where you want to be.

I take it you want RWD, do you want NA do you want boost ??

Once I split my decisions and arrived at a body type, transmission, aspiration there really wasn't much choice, so my subconscious top level decisions made my choice up for me.

Also, which is absolutely key, is that you might be able to break the bank to get a high level car, but will you have the funds to sustain that car ??

I have a few mates that have gone M3 (E90) only to have to shift it on after a year because they're sick of buying tyres getting the oils serviced etc.

You may be better off dropping your list price £5000 and picking something from that bracket ??

This was something I did and I think was a good decision.

Fun times ahead fella.

Grail.jpg

I went from a lowered brand new top of the range MX-5 to a brand new 370Z and whilst the MX-5 was supreme at steering and handling the 370Z was just so much more fun having far more grunt. I just can't help thinking that the GT86/BRZ is a little under powered and you might get bored of it. They should have given it around 250bhp.

Cheers,

Scotty

I think you are saying you preferred the BRZ version over the GT86. Out of interest, Dan, why was that?

Pretty much because it didn't try and oversteer at every single corner. Whilst the fact that the 'Yota does like to have it's arse hanging out all the time is probably half of the appeal, I much preferred the way the stiffer front springs on the Scoob allowed the front end to tuck in quicker. This meant you could get back on the power earlier and ring the neck out of the engine, and since that's exactly what you need to do to make progress it seemed like the way to go. The interior is slightly less awful in the BRZ too. We did come very close to buying the BRZ but the numbers just didn't stack up in the end.

Anyone who thinks that 200bhp isn't plenty enough for the roads probably needs to learn how to drive ;)

I think you are saying you preferred the BRZ version over the GT86. Out of interest, Dan, why was that?

Pretty much because it didn't try and oversteer at every single corner. Whilst the fact that the 'Yota does like to have it's arse hanging out all the time is probably half of the appeal, I much preferred the way the stiffer front springs on the Scoob allowed the front end to tuck in quicker. This meant you could get back on the power earlier and ring the neck out of the engine, and since that's exactly what you need to do to make progress it seemed like the way to go. The interior is slightly less awful in the BRZ too. We did come very close to buying the BRZ but the numbers just didn't stack up in the end.

Anyone who thinks that 200bhp isn't plenty enough for the roads probably needs to learn how to drive ;)

Thanks Dan - very interesting and, in principle, I prefer the sound of the characteristics you describe. How did you find the ride quality - how did it deal with bumps and ruts particularly mid corner? Sorry if bit OT for original OP.

It was fine, perhaps a bit softer than I might've liked but then it's designed to cover bad roads quickly which would certainly help with that kind of setup. Mid-corner adjustment was good, although you need to be quite harsh with your foot inputs due to the lack of torque which can take some getting used to. The steering allows for a good amount of minor adjustment though, so that kind of offset the dull throttle.