Could someone explain..................

Brummiestormer

Yesterday i tried to renew my insurance with More Than who i have been with for 5 years---i've had a rear spoiler and side skirts fitted for 3 of those with no extra premium as they are not a "performance upgrade"---but yesterday i told them i had a front splitter fitted and suddenly they can't insure me any more as it increases the performance of the car----WTF that's totally incomprehensible how it's suddenly become uninsurable and at 53 i'm a total lunatic on the road!!

Can someone give me a feasible excuse why this has happened or am i just being paranoid!

Insurance companies make it up as they go along, that's what I think. Front splitter improves only the stability of the car and is therefore a safety aid tell them,

bet they have no idea what it is. I'm surprised they would just dump a customer after 5 years. Get hold of a supervisor and explain to them, :thumbs:

I personally think insurance is a bit of a farce, my insurance has been around £400 a year for the last 8 years or more, regardless of the car or its performance or value, it seems to make no difference that each an every year i have had another year of claim free driving and no motoring offences. Example, my daily last year, a Mitsubishi RVR (evo engined mpv thing) worth £2500, £400 give or take, my Rx7, 501hp, worth £7k, £400 give or take (with 5 track days), my 350z (nismo kit, wheels, exhaust etc)worth £6k, yep you guessed it £400 ish.

I once told an insurance company for a quote that car "x" had no alarm/immobiliser and wasnt garaged over night and had modifications (wheels, body kit), a week later told them, i had had a cat 1 alarm fitted, mods removed and was garaged over night and guess what, exactly the same price!!

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

Insurance companies have been charging more for safety devices like brakes and harnesses for years which is counter intuitive, but its worse now as 95% of the market just heads to a comparison site and does it from there. If you fall in the other 5% then life is difficult as there arent any brokers to make common sense decisions anymore and you get stuff like this.

Its all done on statistics rather than common sense nowadays so if you have bad statistics you may find it difficult :(

it seems to make no difference that each an every year i have had another year of claim free driving and no motoring offences.

Maximum discount is given at 5 years NCB (barring the very odd exception). Anything over that is basically ignored by insurance companies.

Aware of that and realise there has to be a cut off point, however, regardless of ncb %, the fact you have been driving for x amounts of years without claim or conviction should indicate you are a pretty safe bet, but it seems to make sweet fa difference.

don't use the word front splitter, as that is a performance mod if its an actual wind tunnel tested motorsports item, what you have is a front lip, or front bumper body styling addition. that should put you back on the insurance list. although it sounds like you found a new insurer.

best bet is to use the likes of sky insurance, or Chris knotts or Adrian flux etc, they are set up to deal with performance and modded cars and offer; in general a better and more comprehensive service, and you get to speak to a knowledgeable human being.