How do i clean up this beast !!!!!

timb2010

Just wondered how I can clean up the large metal (Aluminium?) air intake area on top of the engine?

Mine appears to be covered in white rust or corrosion? Can it be polished up maybe?

EDIT: Wow, just found this shiny one maybe I can polish it up!! http://www.autoimports.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/IMG-20120821-01480.jpg

Thanks in advance!

20130818_160736_zps73cbb178.jpg

Edited by timb2010

It took me about an hour with some 50 grit sandpaper to remove most of that pitting effect.

The plenum really needs to be removed and even with that off id guess it would be another 2-3 hrs of hand sanding to get it smooth and then however long you want to polish depending on the finish required.

Seeing your plenum looking like mine, makes me wonder why Nissan didn't paint or polish it from the factory seeing as they've dressed up the front of the engine with that cover.

That top pic isn't chromed it is polished. I can still see areas which as I know are hard to reach and polish effectively.

I'm a bit stacked at the mo for polishing. I've got two I'm working on now.

To do the plenum properly you need 20+ hours. Anything less than that is half a job. Personaly metal polish such as Megs or Autosol are naff for this process. They actually cloud the finish.

Here's the last one I finished.

null_zps7ce50d38.jpg

That top pic isn't chromed it is polished. I can still see areas which as I know are hard to reach and polish effectively.

I'm a bit stacked at the mo for polishing. I've got two I'm working on now.

To do the plenum properly you need 20+ hours. Anything less than that is half a job. Personaly metal polish such as Megs or Autosol are naff for this process. They actually cloud the finish.

Here's the last one I finished.

null_zps7ce50d38.jpg

Is there any coating to keep it looking like that when been used on the car.

I've searched high and low to find the best solution. From lacquer, to oven cleaner, to wax. So currently the "BEST" current process is to wax the plenum. Sounds as though it's not gonna work.....

For best results use a Carnauba based hard wax. Apply on the plenum, leave to set as you would the car paint. Remove, then re-apply 24 hours later and remove.

The coating will keep the plenum looking slick and clean for longer.

It will need to be topped up with Wax probably every couple of months.

Cleaning is as simple as speed detailer.

NEVER Wax or Speed Detail whilst the plenum is hot or warm. It needs to be cold.

• Like 1

I've searched high and low to find the best solution. From lacquer, to oven cleaner, to wax. So currently the "BEST" current process is to wax the plenum. Sounds as though it's not gonna work.....

For best results use a Carnauba based hard wax. Apply on the plenum, leave to set as you would the car paint. Remove, then re-apply 24 hours later and remove.

NEVER Wax or Speed Detail whilst the plenum is hot or warm. It needs to be cold.

What about that poorboys wheel sealant stuff?

PB-Wheel-Sealant-352-300x300.jpg

What about that poorboys wheel sealant stuff?

PB-Wheel-Sealant-352-300x300.jpg

Awesome stuff!!!! About the only thing i have found that can keep my polished wheel lips looking shiny :)

Edited by Jetpilot

Where are you Wasso mate?

I think I will have a little go on a square inch and see how it goes. Do I need to buy a grinder or similar? If so I will leave it to the pros!!!!!!

I'm here...... :lol:

Birmingham and Chiswick

It's process requiring wet and dry, a drill or dremel but for me I also use a bench polisher, which is how I get the best results.

Haydn, that's probably a fair idea. Worth a shot.

I found that the polished aluminium lost it's shine after being on the engine for a few months - and as I'm essentially idle, having to polish it every 3 months sort of lost it's charm, so I had mine chrome plated, and now all it needs it a light dusting! Of course, chrome plating costs about £50 but it saves on polish!

Machinepolishedplenum.jpg

ChromedPlenum_zps69e367a4.jpg

Edited by ianphampton