God, The Universe and Death.

ddcboyle

Also we were given a brain and free will, to do whatever we felt was the right thing to do. We cannot mitigate our responsibilities as human beings to one another or to the laws and political sanctions we have set through years of wars, exploration, and civilisation development over the past several millennia.

I do believe the bible etc are all story's which have been blown out of proportion.

Fate i don't believe in there isnt not such thing as a soul mate etc at the end of the day you make your own luck, you control your own body you had the choice to go chat up that girl in the bar, you choose to do it or not to do it, you choose to let your work life take over anything else and you also choose to be someone sitting at home not chasing dreams

When you die it is lights out unfortunately,

But i do believe in some of this paranormal stuff tho

The Universe

I have a theory that Black holes are a way into other universes.

Wouldn't that be more of a 'worm hole' as opposed to a black hole

Yeah but I think black holes are the initiator that sucks light and matter into the new universe. Then theres a worm hole which gets u there. Although not sure how real worm holes could be.

Supposefly can time travel forward by bending space, physics says so :p not sure if thats the eirm hole?

One thing I still dont understand, and this is by no means racist and I speak about a minority not a majority, and we have all thought about it. All these religions, are simply someone believing in god.

Christians believe in god

Catholics believe in god

Muslims believe in god

etc.

Great post, and I see where you're coming from with it, but this is why it's incredibly frustrating for aetheists to argue with religious folk and vice versa: It all comes down to faith, and that's not something that's easily gaiined nor lost.

Genuinely, I'd quite like there to be a god of some kind, as that would be quite comforting in one way and purely f*cking awesome in another. However, until someone can prove to me beyond all doubt that there is a god, I cannot see how any reasoned mind can believe in one. Likewise, I expect someone who goes to church every Sunday struggles to understand how I manage to go through life without the guiding hand of the book.

John 3:16

Basically sums up Christianity and the reason you and I will be visiting the lake of fire! Faith isn't about concrete proof so you either believe/feel or don't.

Edited by Paddy78

Has anyone bothered to read my earlier link? :lol:

1. GOD?

Simply put, we cannot know if God exists or not. Both the atheists and believers are wrong in their proclamations, and the agnostics are right. True agnostics are simply being Cartesian about it, recognizing the epistemological issues involved and the limitations of human inquiry. We do not know enough about the inner workings of the universe to make any sort of grand claim about the nature of reality and whether or not a Prime Mover exists somewhere in the background. Many people defer to naturalism — the suggestion that the universe runs according to autonomous processes — but that doesn’t preclude the existence of a grand designer who set the whole thing in motion (what’s called deism). And as mentioned earlier, we may live in a simulation where the hacker gods control all the variables. Or perhaps the gnostics are right and powerful beings exist in some deeper reality that we’re unaware of. These aren’t necessarily the omniscient, omnipotent gods of the Abrahamic traditions — but they’re (hypothetically) powerful beings nonetheless. Again, these aren’t scientific questions per se — they’re more Platonic thought experiments that force us to confront the limits of human experience and inquiry.

2. DEATH?

Before everyone gets excited, this is not a suggestion that we’ll all end up strumming harps on some fluffy white cloud, or find ourselves shoveling coal in the depths of Hell for eternity. Because we cannot ask the dead if there’s anything on the other side, we’re left guessing as to what happens next. Materialists assume that there’s no life after death, but it’s just that — an assumption that cannot necessarily be proven. Looking closer at the machinations of the universe (or multiverse), whether it be through a classical Newtonian/Einsteinian lens, or through the spooky filter of quantum mechanics, there’s no reason to believe that we only have one shot at this thing called life. It’s a question of metaphysics and the possibility that the cosmos (what Carl Sagan described as “all that is or ever was or ever will beâ€) cycles and percolates in such a way that lives are infinitely recycled. Hans Moravec put it best when, speaking in relation to the quantum Many Worlds Interpretation, said that non-observance of the universe is impossible; we must always find ourselves alive and observing the universe in some form or another. This is highly speculative stuff, but like the God problem, is one that science cannot yet tackle, leaving it to the philosophers.

3. UNIVERSE?

This the classic Cartesian question. It essentially asks, how do we know that what we see around us is the real deal, and not some grand illusion perpetuated by an unseen force (who René Descartes referred to as the hypothesized ‘evil demon’)? More recently, the question has been reframed as the “brain in a vat†problem, or the Simulation Argument. And it could very well be that we’re the products of an elaborate simulation. A deeper question to ask, therefore, is whether the civilization running the simulation is also in a simulation — a kind of supercomputer regression (or simulationception). Moreover, we may not be who we think we are. Assuming that the people running the simulation are also taking part in it, our true identities may be temporarily suppressed, to heighten the realness of the experience. This philosophical conundrum also forces us to re-evaluate what we mean by “real.†Modal realists argue that if the universe around us seems rational (as opposed to it being dreamy, incoherent, or lawless), then we have no choice but to declare it as being real and genuine. Or maybe, as Cipher said after eating a piece of “simulated†steak in The Matrix, “Ignorance is bliss.â€

I think of myself as an anti-theist. Religion has been an all too convenient excuse throughout history to keep people down, especially women and has caused countless needless deaths. I'm not much keener on people who sit on the fence just in case there is a god.

Has anyone bothered to read my earlier link? :lol:

1. GOD?

Simply put, we cannot know if God exists or not. Both the atheists and believers are wrong in their proclamations, and the agnostics are right.

I couldn't agree less! The point about being atheist is not believing in something because there is no proof for, or logic to, it. Agnosticism is simply intellectual equivocation.