Offshore workers.....

OV53

Just thought I'd create a thread for people on here who work in the offshore industry, be it on fixed platforms or ships and everything in between!

I've been coming offshore for 7 years now and, as awful as it can be at times, I couldn't see myself doing any other type of work long term. I'm an instrument pipefitter by trade so I can quite easily get work onshore but those jobs are classed as "filly in" contracts whilst I wait for the phone call for offshore.

I have worked mainly in the North Sea off Aberdeen and Humberside but I managed to get off Angola once which was an experience and a half!

I'm currently on the BP Andrew and this is by far the biggest project I've ever been on offshore with regards to people on board, currently at 470ish!

So yeah, that's me! It'd be nice to see how many other members are in a similar boat (excuse the bad pun!) to me and see if we can get a bit of crack going with daft stories. You never know...if any of us finds ourselves out of work there may be someone on here that could help. Even for people potentially looking to take themselves offshore, this could be a hub for advice.

Anyways, hope that didn't come out too all over the place!

Peace out,

Phil

Thought about it plenty of times, but i like the fact i can sleep in my own bed every night as works only 5min away. Would take a decent contract to get me to give it ago.

Yeah I like the sound of that but it's grim where I'm from. Plus to earn what we earn out here I wouldn't have much of a home life. Plus you can't beat that 2 weeks a month at home!

Yup I work for a company called IMG Composites, we use epoxy resins and fibreglass to fix pipelines offshore as well as on. In you younger days I was sent out as an applicator to the riggs etc. Now I am either out in Saudi doing similar jobs but onland or looking after our sister company who deal with liquid coatings for roofs etc called SCL. Best rig I have been on was the Juton A over in the norwegian sector

I'm a rig mechanic on the Brent Delta and have been for almost 2 years. 2 on, 3 off. Was supposed to be away yesterday, but they are only just doing LAST Friday's flights today, due the fog being so bad. So looks like I'm going to have a pretty short trip when we eventually do get away.

There's no way I could go back to mon-fri job now. Couldn't get one that pays anywhere near the same and I massively enjoy just being able to do nothing but relax for days on end when I'm home. I work less than half the year, it's mental.

Didn't we have an offshore thread a while back? Anyways, I'm offshore but on the windmills, so back in every night. Great job though, loads of time off (nearly 8 months a year), if not the mega bucks you can get on the rigs.

The BBC visited us a while back, check out the link in my sig.

Another one here..... I work for Subsea7 with ROVs (remotely operated vehicles for those not in the offshore game) 6 years now.

Mainly on Semi-submersible drill rigs, but sometimes boats, jack-ups etc.... most of the time working from Aberdeen in the northern sector, west of Shetland etc but do occasionally work in Congo, West Africa, Norway and the southern north sea.

Currently on the GA3 semi-submersible, been on here for about 3 years now doing 3 weeks on,3 off.

Don't like being away from the family but love the the job, pretty interesting. Love the time off!! (and the money)

I suppose I may count. Spent several years bringing the perfume and steaks to you guys in all weathers. :p

Most of the time we were anchor cranking for Total, a pretty good company too. This was back in the 80s before health a safety was invented. I now get to sit in Aberdeen and watch monstrosities that pass for supply boats nowadays. I also get to drag them in when they lose one of their numerous thrusters. :lol:

One of my other roles is getting to play with the massive play station that is the ship simulator. Apart from that I frequent Mikes chippy and spot zeds in commercial quay car park.

So whats mega bucks for working on a rig then ?

Eh?

Lots of the threads implied the money was really good so i just wondered what the ballpark figure was.

One mans good may be another mans awesome or average.

Are all jobs on the rig good pay or are some not so good.......... chef for instance

Just ball park will do

Who mentioned mega bucks?

This isn't a *****ng contest and I don't know about MEGA bucks........but for an Electro-Mechanical Engineer/Technician, I probably earn twice what I could earn onshore in my local area doing shift work maintenance etc. After 6 years here (starting at the bottom as a Trainee again) I now earn 3x what I did after 9 years in the RAF and I only work between 165 - 200 days a year, so it suits me fine. :)

The wages offshore vary a lot depending on trade, marine, drilling, service companies etc... But I would say that at the bottom of any trade would be around 35-40 k right up to about 150k ish for OIM's and senior toolpushers etc...there are a lot of variables, but gives you a rough idea.

There are far better payed jobs out there onshore but like for like for any given trade or qualification, the pay offshore is pretty good

Edited by Sam Mcgoo

Eh?

Lots of the threads implied the money was really good so i just wondered what the ballpark figure was.

Are all jobs on the rig good pay or are some not so good.......... chef for instance

Just ball park will do

As a ball park figure for a chef. Trainee, about 12k. Experienced from about 25k to 40k I would say.

Eh?

Just ball park will do

Well on some jobs offshore I have earned less than what I could have working in the yards in Pompey, but it was only marginally and I was working 84 hours a week one week and 60 hrs the next week in Pompey and offshore I was doing 2 weeks on 2 weeks off

This job I'm on at the moment is huge and the incentives mean that I'm earning the best money I have ever earned. If I do 3 weeks on and 1 week off I can clear double what I would normally earn.

It all depends upon which company is running the rig, the rates vary wildly. BP, Talisman and Shell have always been the best payers and they are the companies whose projects I have been on the most.

I reckon all disciplines offshore are paid similar to what you would on the beach if you did long hours without much time off.

Can I just point out that this is my 200th post! Not long before I get my FREE STICKER!

Edited by OV53 YPA

Always wanted to do something similar...but never knew, well-still dont, where to start? (Don't reply saying "apply for a job" lol)

Do you have a trade?

What do you mean by that? I guess answer would be a no lol

I would say have a chat to someone who works offshore and identify what you would want to do and what skills you need. As with any job you dont get paid good money because they want to, the wages can be good but it has its drawbacks too.

Yea, need to look into it! I guess I would need to get qualifications etc? Got degree in computer science(pretty useless as done years ago and never worker in that industry lol) and ATM engineer now