Offshore workers.....

OV53

I would say have a chat to someone who works offshore and identify what you would want to do and what skills you need. As with any job you dont get paid good money because they want to, the wages can be good but it has its drawbacks too.

Yea, need to look into it! I guess I would need to get qualifications etc? Got degree in computer science(pretty useless as done years ago and never worker in that industry lol) and ATM engineer now

You could enquire with all of the major operators as all rigs are massively reliant upon computers now. Pretty sure there are IT Techs out here, we don't have much to do with them but it's worth asking the question!

Alrighty, i'm returning to full time education in September with a view to working offshore. I'm currently a qualified EHO, but i'm going to study for a Degree in Occupational Safety and Health with the intention of working as a Safety and Health Officer/ Consultant afterwards.

Any advice is welcome!

Always wanted to do something similar...but never knew, well-still dont, where to start? (Don't reply saying "apply for a job" lol)

Do you have a trade?

What do you mean by that? I guess answer would be a no lol

As in a time served trade/caftsman, i.e. electrician, fitter, engineer, welder etc.

Computer science could be useful, but you'd have to start specializing in something applicable to offshore such as surveying or data analysis, and as such you may be more onshore based anyway.

Alrighty, i'm returning to full time education in September with a view to working offshore. I'm currently a qualified EHO, but i'm going to study for a Degree in Occupational Safety and Health with the intention of working as a Safety and Health Officer/ Consultant afterwards.

Any advice is welcome!

Same applies to EHS I suppose, would most likely be an onshore role with visits, unless you became a permit controller or something.

I think the main point is that most places would like to see you having previous experience.

• 2 months later...

I'm offshore on the Piper Bravo. Been offshore 13years now. Started as an apprentice mech tech on BP Forties then mech/ ops tech on various Talisman sites. Now control room operator so sit on my arse for the best part of 12 hours a day :)

Edited by Bems

I'd love to work offshore but don't seem to stand a chance, seems like its a who you know as well as what you know. Let me know if you know any companies looking for a keen 23 year old. With a completed marine engineering apprenticeship with Babcock marine, electrical fitter.

-NVQ level3 in electrical marine engineering

-BTEC in electronic and electrical engineering

4 years working for Babcock during my apprenticeship and 3 years working for a electrical contractor. Have worked in industrial, commercial and domestic environments.

I know it's a long shot, but the zed community is usually pretty helpful :D