Wheel Seal... Whats best

fellsteruk

Ok, I know many of you may snigger as thats the normal response when i tell people i use AG but i am a massive AutoGlym fan, used almost all of their products for years now on my different cars and loved the end result from the interior to the HD Wax.

As great as i think they are i have not found their wheel seal very good and so wondering what is the best thing to protect the rims once cleaned.

Rimwax has a stupid name, but it is pretty damn good. The other thing I'd use would be FK1000P, although you need more prep with that stuff but it'll last a year.

Personally I don't bother any more, I just use some Espuma Revolution, which brings the wheels up a treat every time.

In my own recent test, Rim Wax didn't even last a month and has been out performed by Poorboys Wheel Sealant so I'd recommend the latter over the former. But then FK1000P is better still.

If, however, you want durability then G-Techniq C5 is my suggestion.

Gtechnique absolutely destroys the opposition, very expensive but amazing at keeping wheels sealed and dust free, used it on my volks when I had the zed. Just make sure you don't spill that 15ml bottle you just bought for £30...

• 3 months later...

Gtechnique absolutely destroys the opposition, very expensive but amazing at keeping wheels sealed and dust free, used it on my volks when I had the zed. Just make sure you don't spill that 15ml bottle you just bought for £30...

Is this 15ml bottle big enough to do 4x 19" wheels properly? and is it worth the outlay over the poorboys or FK1000P?

I want something to use on my newly refurbished wheels before I put them on , and to keep them nice once on.

• 3 weeks later...

My 2 cents:

There's no magic wheel protection that lets brake dust slip off. Or, prevent wheels from getting as dirty as an 'un-protected' wheel.

Im a big fan of synthetic sealants, they are easy to buff off and create a thick, properly hard, protective coating.

Unlike carnauba wax, they bond with surfaces and, like wax, are hydrophobic. This combo allows them to be used on glass, headlights, plastic trim, paint and wheels.

I use chemical guys Jet Seal 109, cover the entire exterior with it and the car is protected from the worst nature has to offer. It lasts a long time - provided that gentle maintenance shampoos are used. With that, keep layering on the sealant and the gloss gets better and better.

All the best,

Dan

• Like 1

My 2 cents:

There's no magic wheel protection that lets brake dust slip off. Or, prevent wheels from getting as dirty as an 'un-protected' wheel.

Im a big fan of synthetic sealants, they are easy to buff off and create a thick, properly hard, protective coating.

Unlike carnauba wax, they bond with surfaces and, like wax, are hydrophobic. This combo allows them to be used on glass, headlights, plastic trim, paint and wheels.

I use chemical guys Jet Seal 109, cover the entire exterior with it and the car is protected from the worst nature has to offer. It lasts a long time - provided that gentle maintenance shampoos are used. With that, keep layering on the sealant and the gloss gets better and better.

All the best,

Dan

Try fk1000p.... Massive tin, easier to use than jet seal and similar product tbh

My 2 cents:

All the best,

Dan

Try fk1000p.... Massive tin, easier to use than jet seal and similar product tbh

Plus it has a shark on the tin :)

• Like 1

G-Techniq C5 - totally rocks. A 15ml bottle is more than enough to treat a full set of wheels up to and including the inside of the rim and still have some left over.

David

I have just done 4 x 19" wheels inside and out with C5 and got just under a quarter left, really surprised how far it went.

I have just done 4 x 19" wheels inside and out with C5 and got just under a quarter left, really surprised how far it went.

Use what's left on the exterior plastic trim, C5 is the same as C4 (and C1).

See, I know the ceramic, nano and Si02 coatings last longer on wheels BUT you could have 4 or 5 tins of FK for the same price.....

Of the sample size perhaps.

C4/5 is £23 for 15ml whereas 1000P is £19 for 400g, so not quite 4 or 5 tins...

... however, even if you reapply 1000P every month, that 400g will outlast the C5 so I see your point. ;)