Garage lighting

AliveBoy

Afternoon all,

I've been thinking of lighting my garage so I can use it at all times, however without mains electricity. Has anyone done this themselves?

The garage is 76.05 feet from my house, with 2 other properties and a public footpath in between the 2 destinations.

I was thinking of a 5W solar trickle charger attached to a 12V car battery using LED strip lights?

I found this: http://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalog/full/117-5W-solar-trickle-charging-kit-for-12V-battery-for-car%252C-van%252C-motorbike%252C-boat-or-any-other-12V-application.html

It looks like it should protect the battery from the most common death dealing problems and doesn't cost the earth either. All of the other important things like tea and biscuits are close enough that I (Read: Fiancée!) can walk to get them :lol:

Thanks for any help :)

Either do this . . .

spiegelzimmer1m.jpg

and just turn your car lights on :lol:

or a more sensible option it so get a quiet generator to power them. No sure how long lights would last on a car battery :shrug:

Brilliant! :thumbs:

Either do this . . .

spiegelzimmer1m.jpg

and just turn your car lights on :lol:

or a more sensible option it so get a quiet generator to power them. No sure how long lights would last on a car battery :shrug:

That's a kinky get up you've got right there!

From what I've "worked out" with my limited electrical knowledge, with a 12v you can get 2-3 hours, providing you have a battery rated with high enough "amp hours". It's all very confusing, but it looks like a 12v leisure battery (as suggested above by tony.r123) would take 10hrs sunlight to charge from a 5W solar panel and would have far higher "amp hours" than a car one. Just need to work out what draw some lights would take and if I'd need an inverter.... :wacko:

Either a small generator or some 12V lead acid batteries, with a solar charger and panels. Powering LED or small fluorescents.

I'd love to use a small generator, but I'm so close to the neighbours (who aren't exactly fond of my car anyway due to the exhaust note) that I think I'd be hung drawn and quartered for it!

My bro used to have a similar problem when i was a kid... but it was about an 80 Meter gap! He used to run an extension chord up the length of our street every time he was in there!

I'd either do that (allowing you to use power tools too), or get a portable rechargeable battery pack. You cant rely on solar power imho.

I dont know if the below kind of devices are suitable, but this is kind of what i'd be looking into http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/400489652362?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=63&ff19=0

Save up, sell house, buy house with garage attached

at 23 in the current climate I'm counting myself lucky that I have a house at all, let alone in the south east :lol: I don't really fancy gambling it all for the sake of a garage. If needs be, head torches and inspection lamps under a tarp will keep me going at least for a while longer :) Thanks for the comments guys

at 23 in the current climate I'm counting myself lucky that I have a house at all, let alone in the south east :lol: I don't really fancy gambling it all for the sake of a garage. If needs be, head torches and inspection lamps under a tarp will keep me going at least for a while longer :) Thanks for the comments guys

Was more of a long term planning thing, like get saving and keep an eye out for a better house in like ten years or something

• Like 1

Was more of a long term planning thing, like get saving and keep an eye out for a better house in like ten years or something

Long term planning I'm thinking a half decent drive and a garage :thumbs: hopefully when the other half finishes uni and has been earning for a bit we can look at our options :thumbs:

Im looking at the same kind of thing for my newly acquired garage. Think Il build a battery bank with 2 marine/deep cycle batteries and 2 normal batteries and 2 invertors. Big batteries take care of power tools etc little batteries for light/fan and stereo. Solar panel thingy om house to charge them indoors.

having read on the net i should get a months use between charges for at least lights and radio

was looking at generators but noise and fumes seem an issue

If anyone can give me info on batteries & invertors I would appreciate it as I haven't got a clue :blush:

Tried reading up but it baffled me all volts this and watts that :wacko:

I just want a battery that charges itself (solar panel) that could run a light now and again to get stuff and do odd jobs in the garage and a socket to run my DA or a hoover or maybe the odd power tool, but most of those are cordless anyway....

Help :surrender:

• Like 1

+1 with smd ive just read about it and that's what seems to be norm,im building a box to house batteries then im stuck as to what to get next, got a plug in tube light and 2 normal batteries already, just what invertors to get...so yes...help!

Edited by jumping350

I don't think the solar panel idea is going to be cost efficient.

Perhaps yes for just lighting using low consumption LEDs, but for stuff like tools you would need something like them solar panels they use to supplement house supply. Haven't looked at prices but I'd imagine that kind of setup wouldn't be cheap