basic bad driving??

goose

Loving our new Zed - it really is awesome. However, already I seem to have a slight problem.... I keep losing the back end at roundabouts. :blush:

Now, it has been really wet on the roads recently, but I am guessing it is essentially down to poor driving on my part.

Any tips ladies and gents??

Ta :D

As a basic out line ....how i think of it...

Think of it as the Rear wheels pushing the front ones... on a straight line the RR push directly the fronts forward...

If you power the rear and the car is not on a straight line , they will not directly "push" the front forward, they will try and overtake the front (slide baby...just slide...)

works for me anyway...

Brake early into a bend.

Steady throttle/speed through the corner... no brake or accel to unbalance the car...

Do NOT accelerate until you are in a straight line...

little by little youn will get the feel of where the acel point can be and what amount you can get away with , but it will take time...

1st lesson... do not acel ( or brake !!!) in a turn...

Loving our new Zed - it really is awesome. However, already I seem to have a slight problem.... I keep losing the back end at roundabouts. :blush:

Now, it has been really wet on the roads recently, but I am guessing it is essentially down to poor driving on my part.

Any tips ladies and gents??

Ta :D

It takes a while to adjust... I came into Zed ownwership from a Scoob, with trademark idiot-proof handling :) My first roundabout induced 360 taught me a lot :teeth:

Being very gentle with the throttle helps - of course you can still get caught out B)

Is there a light on the dash that looks like a car skidding? If so ESP may be off. The 350z without ESP is a lively little toad! It's that little button on the right of the steering wheel that reads "ESP".

However, if you've not pranged it yet I bet you've had fun :teeth:

Good luck. :thumbs:

As zzz said power on once straight. But when you get used to it (in dry weather) at sharper corners I occasionaly like to turn in oversteer & power out of mid corner with steering in mild opposite direction! Causes lovely tail out controllled mini power slides!! :teeth:

IMO in a FWD car you have to do the traditional gear down;brake;turn in; accelerate out/through corner. If you want to increase speed through corner then brake later & on way out accelerate to the limit where front wheels are almost losing traction & car is hitting apex nose almost sliding out of control but not. This is good but if you do overdo it can come unstuck by losing front end & skiding out nose first. (into kerb etc!)

Hence I prefer RWD as there is firstly more fun to be had with tail out slides etc but IMO more importantly there is more margin for error. By taking corners with slight oversteer turn in & you can get out of trouble with a bit extra opposite lock turn out. But more importantly on a tight circuit (private road) where you may have barriers/kerbs, if you dont do above & take a gradual smoother line through the corner while accelerating out (almost like FWD car), you could overdo it & end up sliding/sliping into kerb etc, by losing traction at front. With extra turn in, & car is pointing at more of a sharper angle into corner & waiting till weight is shifted on back of car mid corner, powering down (with slight opp lock)will only cause car to straighten up for corner & will not be sliding towards kerb nose first.

However saying all that you could get the opp lock wrong, too much power & end up fishtailing into the kerb if your unlucky!! :wacko:

Shut up! You're all scaring me! :scare:

Give over, Nixy, you'll be fine! Only 24 days to go - are you getting excited? :teeth:

Yep, 3 weeks on saturday is Z-Day! I'll be without a car for a couple of weeks before then which is my big problem at the moment!

First things is to check that your tyres are ok and that the tracking is good. Bad makes of tyres are just as bad as ones that are worn in my opinion. You don't want to drive a car that is unsafe anyway.

My advice on driving is to be smooth with the throttle. Don't just mash it out of the bend, be progressive. Keep your steering movements smooth too, as you take the lock off you can give it more throttle. Getting the balance right is all the fun of having a RWD car.

Another thing is to always remember that no matter how much you get used to the car, it is still a powerfull RWD. Giving it alot of throttle out of bends in the WET is certainly going to overload the rears and cause you to slide.

I personally, with the amount of oil and rubbish on our roads try to not give it any beans when its wet.

may well be the OEM tyres. Not very good in the wet at all.

Forgive my ignorance (still a newbie really! :blush: ).... What does OEM stand for?

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer

Basically a Nissan part made by Nissan themselves.

may well be the OEM tyres. Not very good in the wet at all.

Forgive my ignorance (still a newbie really! :blush: ).... What does OEM stand for?

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer

Basically a Nissan part made by Nissan themselves.

Nissan don't make Bridgstone tyres though? ;)

I came from a FWD MGZR and had no problems at all, i think you need to check if your ESP is working for starters as i have done a few tests and everytime in the wet, i have not been able to spin it at all!

Secondly, do not over throttle on the corner, once you get used to it, its all drifting action dude :thumbs: