Blade Silver / Liquid Aluminium question

LloydV

Hi guys, I thought that my car was Blade silver, and i have just got an OEM spoiler to go on it, having just spent most of the afternoon on and off spraying and lacquering it, i matched it up to the car to find its a different silver....

My code under the bonnet says that the car is Blade silver (KYO) but that is whats ive used. I have since looked at this page http://www.350z-uk.c...our-code-guide/ and noticed that my car year (03 import) didn't come in Blade silver according to that table. Is it possible that the car could be Liquid Aluminium (K25) even though the vin plate says its Blade?

i need to get it sorted this week really so that I can get the other bits done that I want to in time for Japfest2.

Any help and opinions would be appreciated, but at the moment im looking at rubbing it back and repainting in Liquid Aluminium.

You can just about see the difference in the photo but its more apparent in person. (and yes it had just started to rain when I went to get the camera)

DSC00224_zps29a69041.jpg

Edited by LloydV

As alex says, much simpler. KY0 is/was used by Dacia, Infiniti, Mazda & Nissan from 2001 to the present day, Nissan still use it. It is a Master code where other paint deviate from the formula for other parts

When talking about 350Z KY0 was used in the following markets on the years shown on the exterior of the metal parts of the car...

350Z AMERICAS 2004

350Z AMERICAS 2005

350Z AMERICAS 2006

350Z AUSTRALIA 2006

350Z EUROPE 2004

350Z EUROPE 2005

350Z ROADSTER AUSTRALIA 2006

350Z ROADSTER EUROPE 2004

350Z ROADSTER EUROPE 2005

K03-W2 is the code used in the engine bay on KY0 cars and KR2 is from what I can tell the colour code for the bumpers as these are plastic.

All of these are applied in the factory in 2 coats. Obviously KY0 and KR2 are the same colour, its possible the different codes formulate a different base to minimise the colour difference between metal and plastic parts.

Id say its just a bad paint match.

Edited by cs2000

As alex says, much simpler. KY0 is/was used by Dacia, Infiniti, Mazda & Nissan from 2001 to the present day, Nissan still use it. It is a Master code where other paint deviate from the formula for other parts

When talking about 350Z KY0 was used in the following markets on the years shown on the exterior of the metal parts of the car...

350Z AMERICAS 2004

350Z AMERICAS 2005

350Z AMERICAS 2006

350Z AUSTRALIA 2006

350Z EUROPE 2004

350Z EUROPE 2005

350Z ROADSTER AUSTRALIA 2006

350Z ROADSTER EUROPE 2004

350Z ROADSTER EUROPE 2005

K03-W2 is the code used in the engine bay on KY0 cars and KR2 is from what I can tell the colour code for the bumpers as these are plastic.

All of these are applied in the factory in 2 coats. Obviously KY0 and K03-W2 are the same colour, its possible the different codes formulate a different base to minimise the colour difference between metal and plastic parts.

Id say its just a bad paint match.

good imfomation

Not Cambridge, but RT Performance did a fine job via their paint matching partners (who used a digital scanner) when spraying my KY0 wing 18 months ago. The digital process tests and mixes to within 3% and works well on blade silver. Allied with a good spray technician and the results were spot on. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

an unfortunate side effect of silver it that its very difficult to match. You'll never get an decent match from a pre-mix rattle can. Might be easier to get a bodyshop to spray it up for you or get some custom matched paint mixed.