Parking In Gear

invame

Hi all,

Is placing the car in 1st or reverse gear (depending on the direction of the slope) when parked supposed to stop the car from rolling?

It doesn't with mine - at all! Not even on a gentle slope.

Would this indicate some kind of a problem? I've not noticed any problems with the clutch or gears through normal driving.

It will move forward/backward a little when in gear but it should be very obvious once the gears mesh and stop the car. If it doesnt that suggests to me the clutch is fubared. Are you sure you let it move far enough before the gears caught it?

You're making me doubt myself now. I'll double check it in the morning and post back. The only reason it became an issue to me was because I misadjusted the handbrake at the weekend which basically left me without a handbrake until I adjusted it properly. This is how I think I know - because I couldn't get it to stop rolling with the handbrake misadjusted and basically non-operational.

No, it's a manual. Odd thing is the gears seem fine whilst driving. I've owned it a year and I've not noticed any degradation. I'll double check in the morning to make sure I haven't gone mad if nothing else.

Handbrakes on Zeds are not brilliant, and if I did not leave mine in reverse with the

handbrake fully on it would be parked next to my cooker in the kitchen..!!

It dosen't matter leaving it in gear as you cannot start it in gear as you have to depress

the clutch to start it....Me thinks somebody having a little laugh at the expense of the Zed Community..!! :scare: :scare: