Computer systems advice/recommendation

Hi All,

Ive got a meeting next week with a business adviser on computer systems.

I've been a key user for companies I've previously worked for that have installed the likes of Kerridge/SAP to name a few so I'm reasonably familiar with systems.

I always like to ask a bit of advice and gauge opinion from this forum before committing to any decisions so I thought I would throw this out here first to make sure I cover all bases.

Firstly, I'm looking for minimal spend at first as I've literally invested everything back into the business this year and need to get back into the black, I know you get what you pay for but that upgrade will have to wait.

Secondly, I'm on the go a lot and work from home at night so something that can be connected to on various devices would be nice.

Thirdly, basic transactions :

Creating sales orders

Requisitions

Purchase orders

Goods receipting

Invoicing

Any recommendations/advice before I take the only options I get would be great.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Have worked with quite a lot of these as well....

They are all mostly the same, it's just the ease of use that's the difference. I recently did a course on Maximo, which is pretty much like SAP, but I found easier. You can also get the package tailored to your own requirements...... I am sure SAP can do this as well.....

Although these program's are complete maintenance packages, you may only need the likes of SAGE.....

The difficulty is getting access to all these to find the easiest for yourself to use......

Sage ERP Accpac is what I have used for the past 5 years.

It will cover or that. It can also be connected to your internet banking system so payments can be made directly from Sage.

Various other things it can do that I don't yet use.

But again you pay what you get for. I think basic versions is about £350 but can be upgraded.

Being an accountant with several years worth of using Sage I'd say possibly look at something else.

It's NOT the MOST user friendly - although it will do everything you need. I think the enterprise versions are trillions of pounds and might be a bit of overkill.

Most of them will provide demo versions - so try downloading a couple and having a little browse around.

Quick books comes quite highly rated.

Also something like Kashflow (all online) is pretty good (and fairly user friendly too).

Just remember once you start using one it will be difficult to change once you're in bed with them as it were as migrating across to something else will be a pain in the bottom.

Goodluck :thumbs:

Edited by flexib

Hi Chris,

Have worked with quite a lot of these as well....

They are all mostly the same, it's just the ease of use that's the difference. I recently did a course on Maximo, which is pretty much like SAP, but I found easier. You can also get the package tailored to your own requirements...... I am sure SAP can do this as well.....

Although these program's are complete maintenance packages, you may only need the likes of SAGE.....

The difficulty is getting access to all these to find the easiest for yourself to use......

Agreed, i have used SAP and TMAX (part of Maximo) and found TMAX easier to use, although there isn't a lot in it, but we use the systems for maintenance for kit on an oil platform, so its a large set up. Not sure how good they are for smaller companies, not much experience with that!

Don't use SAP, it's ridiculously expensive and too vast for what you need. EFACS is good but a little pricy. I would say SAGE looks like your best choice.

Having said that as what you need is fairly simple you could do it with a couple of custom databases and then save them to a cloud and you can access them anywhere.

Sage 50 have recently released an iPhone/iPad app, however functionality is limited.

You pay a one off cost for the Software, then Sage Support is optional on top, which is an annual fee that can be paid monthly by direct debit.

A lot of people I know have been really impressed with Xero, with 3rd party Add-ons it should be able to do everything you need! Worth looking at IMO.