350Z Audio Upgrade full Install

taras

We all know that the 350Z has a pretty decent sound system already. However this customer wanted more.

The idea isn't to just change the head unit but to change all the speakers and wires for a greater peak power all round but keeping things hidden... apart from the sub. :)

What we have here is a shopping list which consists of:

Head Unit:

JVC KW-AV60BT Double Din Media player

Front Speakers:

Hertz ESK 165 6.5" 200 Watt 2-WAY HI-ENERGY COMPONENT SPEAKERS MIDS TWEETERS & CROSSOVERS

Rear Speakers:

HERTZ ECX 165 6.5" 210 Watt 2-WAY COAXIAL SPEAKERS BUILT IN TWEETERS

Sub:

Pioneer TS-W260D4 8" sub 1200 Watt

Custom 8" sealed sub enclosure under rear brace.

Powered By:

JL XD400/4 JL AUDIO 4 CHANNEL 400 Watt AMPLIFIER

JL XD600/1 JL AUDIO MONOBLOCK 600W SUBWOOFER AMPLIFIER

Accessories

2 packs of FLI 2000w wiring kit

1.5mm copper speaker cable

Steering wheel controller adaptor

350Z Wiring Harness

350Z Fascia adaptor

DSC00500_zps1f83a68f.jpg

And here's the working progress pictures

DSC00501_zpsa56dcd6b.jpg

DSC00504_zpsd7627876.jpg

DSC00505_zps7f9d2c08.jpg

DSC00506_zpsddb8007a.jpg

DSC00507_zpse74c0fe3.jpg

DSC00522_zps289039d9.jpg

DSC00523_zps62ffa15c.jpg

DSC00525_zps005a568d.jpg

DSC00526_zps4e9c328c.jpg

DSC00527_zpse5257d21.jpg

DSC00529_zps19a53b48.jpg

DSC00530_zps069d9918.jpg

DSC00531_zpsb6718a80.jpg

DSC00534_zps3da017bd.jpg

DSC00535_zpsfee567cb.jpg

DSC00618_zpsdcfc4e44.jpg

DSC00632_zpsccff032e.jpg

DSC00633_zps88695ab4.jpg

DSC00634_zpsa8a1b4d3.jpg

DSC00636_zps5dc703ce.jpg

DSC00638_zps11a349a8.jpg

DSC00639_zps88cd4047.jpg

DSC00640_zpse3c86e58.jpg

And a video clip of how it sounds

th_20130425_184854_zps0f9e125b.jpg

• Like 3

No it doesn't the Bose audio in the Z is junk and its all Clarion with a Bose badge. As soon as you pressure it, it sounds like an amplified Duck farting under water.

If you want great sound a full install is the way to go.

Very nice work to, I must say.

• Like 1

As soon as you pressure it, it sounds like an amplified Duck farting under water.

I'm really curious now how that actually sounds :lol:

lol. Didn't want to sound like we was insulting the zed system but yes a full install is way better.

As soon as you pressure it, it sounds like an amplified Duck farting under water.

I'm really curious now how that actually sounds :lol:

lol. Didn't want to sound like we was insulting the zed system but yes a full install is way better.

Well it safe to say that we all know that the OEM system is pretty pants

• 2 weeks later...

OEM system isn't that bad. With a decent HU its pretty punchy actually.

Obviously it would sound nothing like the above but its a very different league!

Once you listen to a decent instal the oem system really does sound like an amplified duck drowning and farting under water.

Octets system has made me realise EXACTLY how sh1t oem really is.

I've heard many installs from the simple changing of speakers, to adding a sub and then choosing quality products to replace the entire system. Really oem is good for nowt once you hear the difference, even just changing the paper speakers is enough to see the difference.

• 3 months later...

Just out of interest approximately how much would an install like that cost all in? Also would the factory sat-nav work through the speakers?

All depends on what kit you have and how long it takes as we go by the hourly rate.

Nice spec bro! Once I've finished my performance upgrades I reckon I'm gonna focus on my sounds. I'm a big fan of Hertz gear, I still have a HX250 sub in a box that I'll be utilising once I get round to it.

Thats good. Hertz is very good for its money and is becoming very popular because of its sound quality for value.

Oh right. Well let's use the above install as a guide as I've really no idea about prices. Circa £1500-£2000 supplied and fitted I'm guessing? I'm just curious so I can do a few sums. Also any thoughts on the standard nav compatability? I've read that an external speaker is required for an aftermarket head unit - is that correct? Thanks.

Nice setup, nice install.

Surely insane not to put some dynamat or similar in? Mine's lined with the stuff and a fairly lower key sub which is dialled right back and it still makes the plastics resonate like crazy! Each to their own I suppose. I'm sure customer will be made up with the leap forward over OEM.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Taras and Ray for great job!

To summarise: system sounds very good,specially if you have top quality cds or mp3 songs,but I have to admit that sound proofing Is required. Panels rattle,so if you serious about sound then soundproofing is a must! Before I bought everything I asked dealer if I would need soundproofing and was told no,so didn't do it in the first place.Taras offered it to me and I know exactly how much ££ involved in the whole process.With property purchase on its horizon I have to delay it for some time.

HU doesn't skip back/forward songs fast enough,thats the only disadvantage of the unit. Built in:Bluetooth,iPod connection ,no satnav.Basic unit but does the job!

To buy all speakers ,amps ,cables ,sub,HU etc cost me around £1k + install.Bare in mind amps are second hand,but like brand new.

Subbox from USA eBay,seller called zenclosure I think.Its 10inch ,sits nice and tight under the strut.As far as I know someone on here sells those boxes and much cheaper than importing from USA.However if you decide to buy from USA ,make sure you let them know the inner size of your sub,they will cut exact hole for it.

To be honest for optimum sound you would need to modify front door speaker holes.The angle of original holes are positioned so,that door panels cover half of the speakers .This is custom job and will involve more time and money(I didn't do it)...

Alex

OEM system isn't that bad. With a decent HU its pretty punchy actually.

Obviously it would sound nothing like the above but its a very different league!

Once you listen to a decent instal the oem system really does sound like an amplified duck drowning and farting under water.

Octets system has made me realise EXACTLY how sh1t oem really is.

I've heard many installs from the simple changing of speakers, to adding a sub and then choosing quality products to replace the entire system. Really oem is good for nowt once you hear the difference, even just changing the paper speakers is enough to see the difference.

Couldn't agree more, I've only changed the HU and speakers, the difference is amazing, you'll have to have a listen one day Ian :)