Which Zed ?

modd1uk

I can see a tipping point coming soon with this current car tax structure where high performance cars pre 06 will fetch a higher premium because of the lower tax on them. What is it £270 pre 06 and £475 after ? the tax man gets enough out of me already so i keep sticking for cars up to 05.

Disagree, it's been like that for years. £200 is naff all when running a performance car.

Agree to disagree as some like myself like to have the performance but have to work on a budget . The main reason i chose the Zed TBH cheap and cheerful performance with realiability. Otherwise I'd be in a 06 to 08 RS4 right now.

Had a March 06, RS4 - great car and cheap roadtax....best of both worlds. No more expensive to run that Z......apart from the additional 16k to buy.

Was.out of my budget at the time even though i took a couple for test drives March 06 is a rare beasty and they are great fun . Apart from i had the dealer next.to me :thumbdown: Was yours the saloon.?

Yep dark blue saloon...traveled far to get it. Great cars....sh*t dealers though. Only sold it to trade up to a ISF. Wish I had kept the RS4. There are a few 55 plate RS4s hitting around.

You have a £12k budget? Is that for everything inc future mods?

Adding forced induction to a hr costs about £12k+ on its own but you can get 500bhp.

On a de you could reach 450 for half that. Above that you need forged / stronger engine internals etc.

So my question would be what's your end game?

If I could start again, I'd get a pre 06 cheaper tax 300 so I could afford to supercharge. I thought the date was 23rd march 2006.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

Edited by The Bounty Bar Kid

I can see a tipping point coming soon with this current car tax structure where high performance cars pre 06 will fetch a higher premium because of the lower tax on them. What is it £270 pre 06 and £475 after ? the tax man gets enough out of me already so i keep sticking for cars up to 05.

Disagree, it's been like that for years. £200 is naff all when running a performance car.

Agree to disagree as some like myself like to have the performance but have to work on a budget . The main reason i chose the Zed TBH cheap and cheerful performance with realiability. Otherwise I'd be in a 06 to 08 RS4 right now.

Had a March 06, RS4 - great car and cheap roadtax....best of both worlds. No more expensive to run that Z......apart from the additional 16k to buy.

Surely fuel, servicing, parts must be a hell of a lot more than a 350z?

Surely fuel, servicing, parts must be a hell of a lot more than a 350z?

Not really, unless you help fund Audi dealers, which when they see the RS badge bump prices up bigtime. Even saying that, a minor service was less than 240 quid for the RS4 at an Audi dealer. They always seem to have offers....and you can always use VW (VAG) for minor servicing.

Consumables were only a few quid more than 350z stuff .... shop around and a set of GY F1 tyres were 650 fitted - and thats for 19s. Spark plugs - 8 instead of 6. Brake disc were expensive, but that was because no one really does aftermarket stuff cheaper. Was getting 21mpg vs 25mpg in the 350z. Insurance for z is 320, was 410 for RS4.

Edited by aidan

I'm tempted now! :D

All the owners feedback I got was have very deep pockets so put me off. I'm guessing when stuff goes wrong is where the big bucks come out and that's where the difference will be between the 350z.

You have a £12k budget? Is that for everything inc future mods?

Adding forced induction to a hr costs about £12k+ on its own but you can get 500bhp.

On a de you could reach 450 for half that. Above that you need forged / stronger engine internals etc.

So my question would be what's your end game?

If I could start again, I'd get a pre 06 cheaper tax 300 so I could afford to supercharge. I thought the date was 23rd march 2006.

https://www.gov.uk/v...tax-rate-tables

Future mods get paid for by future money ;).

Just had a quick look, there are a few very nice 300 GT's for sale, is the 300 the revup engine ? Which was the engine that had oil problems. The 313's are in budget, but there just aren't many around for sale at all, most are at dealers too.

Edited by modd1uk

Buy a pre 276 car with a supercharger already installed. take your time to look and get one that has been tuned at a reputable place e.g abbey.

otherwise i guess it depends what you want out of the car, whether you want to mod it or not and if you'd rather have the left over money.

I know if i were you and had that much money to spend i'd be thinking very hard about a different 2 seater sports car that starts with P and rhymes with orsha kay-man :lol:

Heart is set on a 350 facelift, just need to find out if I want the 300 or 313, plenty of very clean 300s about at nice prices too. Is the HR that much better than the revup engine?

Buy the best you can afford, if you can get a 313 then do it however you will not dissapointed with a 300 in the slightest. I've owned a 276 and now a 296 (300) and its a much nicer drive and I never think its lacking in any area.

Heart is set on a 350 facelift, just need to find out if I want the 300 or 313, plenty of very clean 300s about at nice prices too. Is the HR that much better than the revup engine?

Most of the 300 engine problems I've read about are in The States where 98RON fuel can be hard to find, in Colorado and California for example my understanding is that there isn't any, and there seems little doubt that extended running on 95RON or lower can lead to serious engine malfunctions. If I was in the market for a Zed my first choice would be a 313 but if the right 300 came along...........

Pete

I must be one of the few people that doesn't like the facelift onterior, yes the door cards etc are slightly better quality but the silver gear surround and air con knobs are horrible :yuck:

I'll join you on that one, too much silver for me around the stick

Best thing about the facelift interior is the repositioning of the heated seat and hazard warning light switches. The illuminated steering wheel controls are well worth having too.

Pete

Best thing about the facelift interior is the repositioning of the heated seat and hazard warning light switches. The illuminated steering wheel controls are well worth having too.

Pete

Yep good call although if you are tall and have the seats right back you are fine I have never put my elbow on the heated seat switches :teeth:

The 300 and 313 are the same inside correct? Just the different engine and bonnet bulge?. Do these engines take mileage well as I plan on keeping it for a few years, examples in my price range are around 50k miles.

The 300 and 313 are the same inside correct?

I think there are some very minor differences . The 313's have an illuminated ignition barrel and our roadster has what looks like a permanently illuminated pilot light inside the interior light. From my experiences of driving both I'd say that the 313 has a lighter clutch pedal and is considerably lighter to steer.

Pete