More low down grunt

LukePitt

I'm looking for a bit more low down grunt on my 2005 350z. Would like the rev up tune, will there still be a noticible difference even I don't go with the hfc's and a plenum spacer. Car is standard all bar a cat back exhaust and im gonna order a cosworth panel filter. Got no chance of spinning in second gear. Not that I want to but thought there should be enough power to?

Uprev shows good results on standard zed just cheaper to do after mods rather than each time getting it mapped in as it removes factory defaults for first three gears something to do with throttle settings also will smoth out the middle off the rev range but if you just want cheap mod to do the throttle respones in gears etc buy a d1 throttle controler plug and play depending when you are getting uprev guides on both have alook hope this helps

Uprev shows good results on standard zed just cheaper to do after mods rather than each time getting it mapped in as it removes factory defaults for first three gears something to do with throttle settings also will smoth out the middle off the rev range but if you just want cheap mod to do the throttle respones in gears etc buy a d1 throttle controler plug and play depending when you are getting uprev guides on both have alook hope this helps

Ignoring the lack of punctuation, what he said :lol:

3 gears limiter removal is done on a Uprev remap.

The limiter isn't an opening restriction it is a response limiter in the lower gears the response between the throttle pedal being pressed and the throttle butterfly opening is slowed in the lower gears to make the car more "soft" to drive.

When we remap we remove this restriction so making the throttle response "sharper".

• Like 1

I bought the d1 throttle controller and to be honest I didn't really notice any difference in performance. It just made the car a bit jumpy and awkward to drive! It's been in normal mode from about 2 days after installing it! Looks like the up revs the way forward for me then! Thanks guys ill get that booked in!

Ignoring the lack of punctuation, what he said :lol:

was early and on crap phone :p:boxing:

3 gears limiter removal is done on a Uprev remap.

The limiter isn't an opening restriction it is a response limiter in the lower gears the response between the throttle pedal being pressed and the throttle butterfly opening is slowed in the lower gears to make the car more "soft" to drive.

When we remap we remove this restriction so making the throttle response "sharper".

I sometimes wonder if you can have the UpRev but leave the gear limits in place. These times are usually when I'm stuck in London traffic! Personally I prefer to have it post UpRev "sharper", but I could imagine some people would prefer the UpRev benefits but still being able to be lazy with the throttle while driving in stop start traffic.

I tried to post last night but my net connection had a hissy fit.

What I was going to say is that if you ARE going to have a remap, you may as well - plenum spacer/sports cat the car whilst you're at it.

Making the most of what is available without digging too deep as it were.

As a cheaper solution, look at your driving style. If you're finding low rpm torque lacking (which the V6 isn't particularly), then you may be sitting in the wrong gear. You mention 2nd gear not spinning up, I'll take that to mean that you tend to 1st to move off and then 2nd everywhere else in town traffic? If that's the case, try using 1st gear more or not shifting up from 1st to 2nd until much later in the revrange as that will drop you back in the powerband.

2nd gear not spinning up is a good thing, as otherwise you're just pissing power away. ;)

I know it's a not a good thing and it isn't what my aim is. It's just that its not able to. I thought the power should be plenty to have a bit of spin shifting into 2nd. As regards to the way I drive I've owned many fast cars and consider myself a good fast driver and can adapt to pretty much any car very quickly. Just wondered if my particular z maybe slightly lacking power?

What car are you coming from Luke? I find the 350z feels slow, but thats because my previous cars have either had big lumps up front, or were turbo'd.

As for spinning in second - mine does a brief spin if its wet or when the tyres are cold - otherwise not enough power.

Edited by aidan

I know it's a not a good thing and it isn't what my aim is. It's just that its not able to. I thought the power should be plenty to have a bit of spin shifting into 2nd. As regards to the way I drive I've owned many fast cars and consider myself a good fast driver and can adapt to pretty much any car very quickly. Just wondered if my particular z maybe slightly lacking power?

Fair enough. I've never owned a car that can spin the wheels at low revs in 2nd, nor would I ever wish to, but each to their own.

• 1 month later...

Just seen the replies. I've came from a 306 bhp fiat coupe turbo. Also owned an e46 smg m3 and been driving a clk 55 amg for a while. I understand that the z wouldn't keep up the car mentioned but recently had to really drive hard just to keep up with a friends bmw 530 petrol auto! Took me by surprise to say the least!!

A 350Z is capable of keeping with a 46 M3, tbh I find the Z handles better than the M3, certainly out brakes it aswell

I'd have yours checked over just incase, they take a while to get used to. Mine did but after the 'bedding in' period I've found it a fantastically rewarding car to drive and own

I love the car tbh. Just a bit worried maybe about the performance. It's got 57k on the clock, sounds healthy. Only thing I've done to the engine is change the spark plugs to ngk platinums, which has for some reason lost me about 4 mpg! And installed a pop charger and a d1 throttle controller. What should I get checked for lack of performance?

I'm sure the plugs are meant to be denso iridiums, someone will be along shortly to confirm.

Popcharger will just be sucking hot air in so that's losing a bit imo, best thing that's proven power wise for the DE engines are the 2006+ velocity stack mod and a decent panel filter (hks) in the stock airbox

Id have it dyno'd just to see what the engine is running like as a whole

I've just ordered the denso's! Ngk's are about 3 weeks old! Wish I would have read this forum rather than the manual!! Hopefully if I get it tuned(revup) I'll regain some lost horses. It by all means feels slow but thought I should have left the 530 auto for dead!!

I'm sure the NGK platinums are what the manual/Nissan recommends and the Denso iridiums are what Alex sells as an upgrade. I'm pretty sure that's right would be good to get confirmation as the next service il be doing plugs.

As for the 530, yes you should have left that behind quite easily.

Dyno it is then! Hopefully just getting it set up correctly will improve performance. Thanks for the advice. I'll let u know my results. As far as the ngk's go, either I've just been unlucky or the iridiums are better as I've lost mpg's with the ngk's and my idle is a bit higher!

Dyno it is then! Hopefully just getting it set up correctly will improve performance. Thanks for the advice. I'll let u know my results. As far as the ngk's go, either I've just been unlucky or the iridiums are better as I've lost mpg's with the ngk's and my idle is a bit higher!

Edited by LukePitt

Hi mark. I had a mechanic do the spark plugs as I'm useless myself! So I would hope he wouldn't have done that. The car runs fine, the speed could be in my head but the mpg definitely isn't! I'll take it back to him to double check now you said that though!