New 350z Owner - Tyre Problem

KosmiK

Hi all, hope this is in the correct section, apologies if it's not.

I bought a 53 plate 350z a month ago, and everything seemed great, until today that is.

I don't know why but while i was outside I felt the need to reach around the tyre (something I now wish I'd done before I bought the car).

Upon doing so I noticed a hard edge, instead of a smooth one (shown in the pics), and have no clue how it's happened.

I thought I'd checked the tyre tread before buying, but obviously not thoroughly enough.

MOT was only 500 miles ago, so I'm guessing these wheels weren't on for it.

The tyres on the front are 245/30/20R Falkens, and have decent tread remaining in the middle and outside. I think there are spacers on too, and the car's been lowered.

Can anyone shed some light on what's happened here? Nothing in the wheel arch looks like it's been catching/rubbing, but the fact that it's just the very edge of the tyre seems strange to me.

The passenger side wheel isn't this drastic, but it's still worn all the way though.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

post-18967-0-76558900-1365857108_thumb.jpg

post-18967-0-82463500-1365857119_thumb.jpg

sorry just read its been lowered im also on twentys and could not lower with out having the arches rolled as would hit the arches cheak if hitting also might be worth checking with out spacers on as well i dont run any on mine but will depend on your wheels

and :welcome: to the forum put a message up in the introductions and have a look in guides etc lots of info on every thing 350z do you have pics on ccar and do you know wheel specs drop etc and was wear inside edge or outside

Thanks for the replies KC350Z.

No advisories on the last MOT, but the owner did say he also had the original wheels, which I'm now guessing he put on for the MOT.

No specs on the lowering springs or spacers sadly. All I can say for sure is the springs are green and the spacers look 20-25mm.

Pic attached of the wheels on the car too, doesn't seem unreasonably low to me, wear is on the inside of the tyre but it doesn't seem to rub anywhere.

Pic was too big to attach, hopefully this link work.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/4442/imag02471.jpg

Edited by KosmiK

Welcome, best to use photobucket to upload your photos. That looks like a rubbing issue to me, the only thing I can think of is that it's catching the part that comes down from the suspension because it's been lowered too much. Usually, they rub on the outside of tyre on the wheel arch.

Pete

I doubt that is the tyre rubbing on anything as it would be the whole way round. Given how worn the tyres are and you can see the canvas below I wonder if this the tyre starting to split, shall we say been put under a lot of sideways loading ;)

As for adding pics, uses a photobucket/flicker or what-have-you host and copy the URL into the little green image box when you use "more reply options"

Given how worn the tyres are and you can see the canvas below I wonder if this the tyre starting to split, shall we say been put under a lot of sideways loading ;)

Yes, I see it now. Check the speed rating on the tyre sidewalls. Also check the pressures, should be 35 psi.

Pete

ok try putting to full lock both ways and check its still clear as it will drop a little bit more when doing this and as above check not rubbing on suspensionwhen full lock and also any wear on inner arch but i recon suspension if any

The suspension was my first guess but doesn't look clean/worn like it's been rubbing constantly. There's a good inch between the tyre and the suspension having just checked, is the suspension likely to travel that much during normal road use?

Will go check the gap when it's on full lock now.

Both tyres are worn on the inside by the way.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I didn't think it would.

Just checked on full lock both ways. Tyre is no where near the suspension.

I'm thinking I'll just have to get new tyres fitted and keep an eye on them. Maybe the seller just stuck worn tyres on to get rid of them or something, and the damage happened on another car or something beforehand? I've no idea.

If it was rubbing that deep into the tyre you would certainly know about it. Sounds like you have tein springs which are only a small drop, 17mm rear 14mm front if I remember correctly.

Any details on the wheels? 20 inch diameter but how wide? What offset?

Edited by KyleR

No clue sorry. All I know is they are Vertini Hennessey's.

I've just taken off some 20 inch Vertini Hennessey's although my car isn't lowered. Unless the back of the wheels have been drilled out you can't get hubcentric spacers on them without fitting a small spacer first. The ET on them is 35 and they're 8.5J. I had the occasional rub, I presumed it was on the arch rather than the suspension and I've just looked at the tyres and can't see any damage.

Pete

No clue sorry. All I know is they are Vertini Hennessey's.

I've just taken off some 20 inch Vertini Hennessey's although my car isn't lowered. Unless the back of the wheels have been drilled out you can't get hubcentric spacers on them without fitting a small spacer first. The ET on them is 35 and they're 8.5J. I had the occasional rub, I presumed it was on the arch rather than the suspension and I've just looked at the tyres and can't see any damage.

Pete

I'm pretty sure they are hubcentric spacers, but I wouldn't know the difference if there are other types. There was what looked like little plastic rings inside the wheel though.

That looks like heavy rubbing to me, i'm sure you would have heard it by now :)

Haven't heard anything out of the ordinary, I don't think.

Maybe the wear didn't happen on this car/this setup.

Time will tell once i get new tyres I suppose.

This is a picture of a tyre that had a blow out while I was driving it. As you can see the damage is on the inside of the tyre and right at the edge. This was caused by under inflation, I suspect a slow puncture as the car felt a bit odd about 5 miles before it blew. If you look at pictures of damaged tyres it would seem that most of them blow on the inside of the wheel which must be the part of the tyre that takes the biggest load.

P7101956.jpg

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

While in France I saw a TV programme showing what could happen to a section of summer tyre V a section winter tyre when left on ice, the summer tyre section just fell to bits. Could the damage be caused due to our recent change in winter weather patterns?

Edited by Aiuchi-Gary