Range Rover Sport - Purchased page 5

marzman

I thought that a lot of the air suspension issues were basic ones like seals leaking etc, but the main dealers will only replace complete parts rather than stripping down a £500 module to replace a 50p o-ring.

L322 are supposed to be a lot more reliable than the P38 I thought too?

go on the range rover forum get the facts then have a look what you want to do my dad has had a few and JLR even lent his classic {show winner} for two months for displays and gave him a brand new one to use but as on here go on the site sure there will be lots more info

Gonna skip all the rest and just insert my comment lol My friend bought a Range Rover Sport around the same time I bought my Zed, 2009 I think, 100K+ on it, no issues as of yet I don't think. And from being in it (with the 22inch alloys) you cannot believe how smooth it is for something with wheels like it! Engine runs as if its new, so they can last. Had someone at work buy one and it was full of electrical faults after having it for a while... could be just your luck whichever car you choose really.

I did a few hours research at the weekend on the RR forums, and its literally scarred me off them. Im gutted.

From what i was reading it's a pretty much nailed on certainty that your gearbox is going to go between 80k and 110k miles, ever single air suspension setup seems to develop multiple faults seemingly every year, and there are a whole host of other complaints occurring frequently (steering column replacement, alternator/battery issues, an endless list of electrical gremlins etc).

In the 5 years i've had of 350z ownership, other than standard maintenance i've not had to spend a penny on fixing issues with the car (touch wood), so to go to this level of unreliability is quite off putting.

Shame that but as someone said, cheap for a reason. Save up and get the Merc you want.

I know but i've got to get the 4x4 bug out of my system or else i'll be in the same boat in 12 months time...

I should get an M-Class merc which would tick both boxes, but i only like the very latest model which is £30k plus :lol:

G Wagon? Merc and 4x4 all in one, and they look, er... Macho.

A G-Wagon is on my list of cars to own, and will probably be my first restoration project when im ready for that stage in life as i love them... but i need something a bit more current as i intend to use it as a daily through winter.

They certainly are cheap now. I was looking at Range Rover Sport prices 2 years ago when I bought my zed and they have more than halved since then. Like others have said, its the endless list of people who have had problems with them and the expensive costs which put me off.

One comment which I think Chesterfield made on another thread a while back has stuck in my mind though and that was he got a RR for the safety aspect and that if someone ran into him at 70mph in their car he`d know he`d be okay! :thumbs:

I did a few hours research at the weekend on the RR forums, and its literally scarred me off them. Im gutted.

From what i was reading it's a pretty much nailed on certainty that your gearbox is going to go between 80k and 110k miles, ever single air suspension setup seems to develop multiple faults seemingly every year, and there are a whole host of other complaints occurring frequently (steering column replacement, alternator/battery issues, an endless list of electrical gremlins etc).

To be honest, I did feel the same after doing some research before buying a Z.

I ended up paranoid that I was going to need to budget for clutch/flywheel replacement every few years, driveshafts would need replacing as service items, tyres would wear unevenly and that the boot would keep landing on my head all the time. Only the last bit seems to be true! :lol:

So i went to look at a Range Rover last night.... 04-plate in Black with 77k on the clock.

It's about £2.5k more than i want to spend so i've got no intention of buying it, but damn it's made me really want one now!! I cant believe how big they are up close too, it's awesome!

Mines a RRS (the gay one). Primarily bought for space and safety resons when we knew we were expecting. I succumbed to the "if you cant beat em, join em" mentality. I have no real need for a 4x4, other than the odd snowy winter as the drive between work and hom is not on a bus route, so something that was better than the Jag in the snow is useful.

Mine is a 2011 model, its had its problems - electrical and suspension related. Both seemed to be related, and a replacement of a component inside the compressor has seen no problems with the car since. Ive had to stick fuel in it for the last 18 months and thats it.

Its quite thirsty too, but thats to be expected with an automatic weighing about 3 tons.

I have thought about a Full Fat Range Rover, but ultimately you don't really get a lot more for your money. Perhaps why they depreciate faster. The luggage capacity on the new one is a case in point. Load space on the brand new Full Fat Range Rover with back seats in the upright position - 909 litres. Load space in mine with seats upright, 958 litres. The FF RR only has 17 litres more when seats are folded down too.

If you are after a Range Rover, give it another few months. Let the new full fat become a bit more common and you'll see the prices of the previous model drop like a brick. New Range Rover Sport with redesigned front end out soon too, so if you would prefer a sport, then the current models of those will drop sharpish when the new model arrives. Thinking of getting out of mine before the new sport starts to arrive in any great numbers.

Not the one on Beech Lane?

Yes mate, that one. Do you know anything about them? They sell some really nice cars..

I stopped in tonight on my way home and spoke to a guy at length. Seemed pretty legit. They said they buy all of their stock from Land Rover, Jaguar and Mercedes dealerships and dont go to auctions etc. I wanted to know about warranties (i.e. the statutory sale of goods warranty) and they said they pretty much will offer next to nothing, other than if the gearbox blows up on my drive home from buying it etc. They said a Range at the price im looking at is going to be a project, one which they would refuse to sell to a mother with 2 kids who just wants a reliable car without an extended warranty. I think this is pretty fair and honest of them really.

So - i've asked them to be on the lookout for a sub 9k Range Rover for me so they said they'll definitely be able to find something.

Mines a RRS (the gay one). Primarily bought for space and safety resons when we knew we were expecting. I succumbed to the "if you cant beat em, join em" mentality. I have no real need for a 4x4, other than the odd snowy winter as the drive between work and hom is not on a bus route, so something that was better than the Jag in the snow is useful.

Mine is a 2011 model, its had its problems - electrical and suspension related. Both seemed to be related, and a replacement of a component inside the compressor has seen no problems with the car since. Ive had to stick fuel in it for the last 18 months and thats it.

Its quite thirsty too, but thats to be expected with an automatic weighing about 3 tons.

I have thought about a Full Fat Range Rover, but ultimately you don't really get a lot more for your money. Perhaps why they depreciate faster. The luggage capacity on the new one is a case in point. Load space on the brand new Full Fat Range Rover with back seats in the upright position - 909 litres. Load space in mine with seats upright, 958 litres. The FF RR only has 17 litres more when seats are folded down too.

If you are after a Range Rover, give it another few months. Let the new full fat become a bit more common and you'll see the prices of the previous model drop like a brick. New Range Rover Sport with redesigned front end out soon too, so if you would prefer a sport, then the current models of those will drop sharpish when the new model arrives. Thinking of getting out of mine before the new sport starts to arrive in any great numbers.

Cheers Chris, thanks for the input. If the RRS is the gay one then call me Louie Spence cos thats the one i'd want. :lol:

Interesting to hear that yours has been pretty reliable during your ownership, gives me a bit of confidence. I dont think the new ones will affect the price of what im looking at the bottom of the market though... i've tried that tact before and its a completely different demographic who is spending £10k to who is spending £50k.

I dont think the new ones will affect the price of what im looking at the bottom of the market though... i've tried that tact before and its a completely different demographic who is spending £10k to who is spending £50k.

You'd be surprised. Dont forget a large proportion of Range Rover Sport (and FF Range rover), just have them for the image. Whereas the layman would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a 2005 RRS and a 2012 model, same with the 2004 to 2012 FF RR, the new ones look vastly different. Dont underestimate the number of people that will be looking to shift their current RRS or FFRR just to get into the latest looking model.

I've taken the view that as soon as the running costs of my current one in terms of repair bills etc starts to be larger than the annual depreciation on a new model, thats when Ill move. Keeping up to date with the latest design and model of any top end car like a Range Rover is expensive business, not something Im that bothered about now - different priorities in life. There will however be a huge number of chelsea tractor owners that will be keeping up with the Jones'

Saw a brand new Westminster (latest/last model of the outgoing FFRR) up for a little over £50k on interest free from a dealer the other day. Looking at its spec, it was about £12k off list. Thats the damage thats being done to the current prices, and they will filter down to the lower ones imho just because they look so completely different. If it were just a slight tweak here and there then I'd say second hand prices would hold, but this new revision of the Sport and the FF Range Rover make the previous models now look old - that will hit the values I reckon. Not something Im looking forward to, and I did for five minutes consider a move to a new FFRR or RRS, but after speccing it up on the site and coming to a figure of over £70k for the RRS and just a tad over £100k for the FF, and considering the depreciation levels - its just daft.

Anyone who bought a 12/62/13 plate of the old model sport or FF Range Rover, is about to take a spanking imho. When the newer ones start making it to the second hand market in greater numbers in 6 months time, Ill predict savings of near £30k on a FFRR that costs £100k today. Its going to be savage.

The problem they have with the FFRR is they cant stop them making it onto the second hand market outside of official dealers in great numbers. I know from taling with dealers a few months ago on the likes of the 458, that for every car you see advertised for sale via a dealer, there were about 3 to 4 more that werent being advertsied. Under instruction from Maranello, to make sur the prices didn't tumble on the 458 too quickly. You couldnt get one for less than £180k. Regardless of age. Now, some 6 months on they are making it out onto the second hand market in larger numbers outside of the dealers control, look at the prices. Sub 160k and thats before a deal is done. Just watch the new Range Rover prices in the next 12 months... It will be painful.

Oh agreed Chris, the prices of the 2010+ cars will be affected (and why anyone would buy a new car the year that a replacement model comes out i will never know!). But for the market im looking at... piddly little 100k+ miles beat up old things at £8k, it will be a loooong time before the release of the new model starts to affect the pool of cars that im buying from.

Interesting about the 458 though with Ferrari holding them back!