Nice Day Turned A Bit Sour

MrE004

First Off Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I really didn't know where it should have gone. Kind of overlaps a couple of areas.

So with Mrs E laid low by illness and today possibly being the nicest day of the year so far, I popped off to my parents to treat the Z to a nice clean. (They have a driveway and I Don't and many other reasons as to why I can't just do this at home.) So after getting the majority of the car cleaned up I thought about the exhaust that I am yet to identify so I tried to clean up the tips and such a bit to see if there were any markings etc. that I could see on them and whether that would tell me what I was potentially looking at.

Instead what I found was this.

p1010596jp.jpg

I have no idea what's going on here but even I am pretty sure that's an MOT fail, it's quite a big crack!!

However the car does look nice and clean otherwise.

p1010599dp.jpg

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Mr E 004

Depends. If your telling the Mrs, then the exhaust has rotted, and you NEED a replacement from the likes of Scorpion or Milltek. If you want it done cheap, then get a new exhaust clamp, bash the old one off, and replace it,job done.

Car looks very nice by the way

That is such a common place for the Zed exhaust to break. You may be able to get it welded, but probably better off getting a new backbox / centre pipe.

Tarmac and CS both do Cobra / Scorpion systems which seem to be popular and really good value.

As above, that's the common fail area for the OEM system, and it most likely will fail on MOT emissions as a result of it... :) We have a range of new options, if you wanted a good replacement then the Cobra Sport system we do would fit the bill at £425.00... :) Cobra exhaust system can be seen here - http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/63096-cobra-sports-exhaust-from-cougar-store/ . Good work with the wash though, Zed looks great... B)

HI Guys,

Jumping in on this thread as it is relevant. I have just bought a basically new OEM exhaust as im trying to save a few pennies and dont want to invest in a scorpion one quite yet. IM wondering how much i should be looking at to get my garage to install the new backbox and midpipe?

1 hours labour or more?

Many thanks in advance!

Mine went in the exact samespot, very common but it was the perfect excuse to get the milltek exhaust and never looked back :)

You need an excuse..... thats where ive been going wrong ;)

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm a bit disappointed I must say. The sound of my car when I first got it was what really drew me in. Now I find that that was because the exhaust was going and it's going to change :-(

Liking the looks of the cobra though. Need to do some research an price finding I think.

MrE - get somewhere to chop it of and weld it up, should only cost about £40 while you decide on a replacement. :thumbs:

Ninja - An hour should do it, the bolt can be pretty hard to get off, but usually the Y pipe to cat ones are the worst. When removing mine, it took 10 minutes to remove all the bolts except one fother mucker on the cat which took nearly 90 minutes on its own. Attaching the new pipes/bolts is pretty easy, especially for a well made system like the Cobra.

To get my Nismo + Berks on took no time at all, but seeing the state of the Zorst that came off, replacing one or two bits would have been a hell of a lot harder - held together by rust really - Scottish weather had done a real number on it.

That looks choppable and weldable, but personally, I would go for a sparkly new system - it is after all a major safety concern (if her indoors asks of course ;))

Depends what you want.

If your looking for a nice shiney exhaust but need to justify the expense to the missus then here's your chance. The back box alone costs £500 from Nissan.

If you looking for a quick fix you can buy this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Pipe-Connector-Sleeve-Joiner-2-3-8-60mm-Clamp-On-Including-Clamps-/111026647582?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19d9b4321e

I've got one fitted to my car, it does the job and passed the MOT.

The pipes have to be cut and bent a little to make it fit and I recommend using better clamps.

I think eventually its going to have to be replaced but its done 6 months so far.

Had the same here. Infact the flange was half way down the car lol. However it wasnt blowing and even some firm twats with a hammer still didnt seperate it, came off in 1 peice in the end. Perfect excuse for a Scorpion system from CS. :)

Very similar sound to standard but a bit more roar higher up the rev's.

Mine was chopped and welded when i got it. i didn't actually notice until i got my invidia gemini, which it sounds great.

cheap option chop and weld or good condition used one.

expensive (but favourite) option, which will also provide the most gains if remapped is to get a miltek or a invidia gemini or another full cat back (including y-pipe replacement). if you really want to increase flow get some berk HFCs as well but they're not cheap.

Middling option. get a cat back exhaust that will look sound nice but not offer much gains. you can always get a y pipe and cats in the future.

If you're looking at a new system there are LOADS of threads and videos on the forum, just look in the modification - exhaust section. stay away from cheap crap like unbranded ebay or japspeed. There s a lot of bad press about them.

A fellow Zed owner and friend from work has a Cobra, and to look at, you would be hard pressed to see the difference to the standard one, however sounds so much better. I have a Scorpion, which i love, and also like the look of, as it looks mean as. Sounds a little different to the Cobra, but either is a great choice on a budget,just depends what look you want. You will be amazed the difference it makes, the engine sounds so much cleaner and clearer. Its almost as if Nissan made the standard exhaust out of monkey metal, so people would have to upgrade it.