Tax Dilemma! What am I supposed to do??

Louisa911

Majorly annoyed at how c**p our system is!

Bought my Zed about 6 weeks ago, from a dealership. It was on the previous owner's private reg so I didn't sign the V5, instead it was sent off to DVLA to be put onto retention. Was told I would receive new V5 to fill out my details and register it to myself in a few weeks.

Tax is now due.... but can't do it online as its still registered under the previous owners details and he would recieve it in the post rather than me.

Anyway.... 3 weeks ago I got the new MOT copy and replacement tax disk in the post with a cover letter for buying new plates etc. and a green keeper details slip which still had the old private reg. on but had been stamped as re-registered with new reg.

Took this to the post office just now to tax the Zed which is due today.... they refused because the second half of the green keeper slip had been scrubbed out with marker pen as it had already been used to issue the last disk. Even thought I took every document I have and all the DVLA letters regarding the issue. Argh!

Called up the DVLA who simply said I could order a new V5 for £25 which would arrive in SIX WEEKS...... or wait for the old V5 from the dealer garage.

Called up the garage, who still see no sign of it. Simply said the DVLA are being slow because of new registrations and bank holiday etc. and that it should be here soon.

So in the meantime, having to drive to work etc.... what the hell am I supposed to do? I have the tax disk for the new registration but that expired at the weekend. Guess its better than having an expired one with the old private reg but still..... nightmare! You reckon if I got pulled up for no tax but had all the documents on me and explained then they would understand? Or would I just be whacked with a massive fine / points / whatever the hell you get now? So angry!

Edited by Louisa911

And this is why you MUST make sure the old reg is taken off the car before you buy it ;)

If you get pulled, they'll do you for it and rightfully so. That's not a slight on you, but rather it's the only way to be otherwise they could hear all kinds of sob stories and scrotes would get away with it. It's a faff, but as far as I can see you've no way of taxing it. :(

Nightmare! Its my only access to a vehicle as my other half's vehicles are on his Garage mechanic policy so I'm not even covered on those. DVLA didn't even state if they were anywhere near sending off the new document.... having to ask me when the garage sent the V5 off and how long ago I received the new MOT etc.!

No idea what to do really. You'd think almost two months would be long enough to sort the damn thing out.

Don't know about your rules but over here in Northern Ireland you don't get points you get a lovely £60 fine forgot to renew my tax about a year ago and that's what happened to me. Not sure if I would want to risk it though but like what do you do if its your daily do you har access to another car maybe?

I'm guessing because they need to input a number of some sort, there's even no chance of bribing another post office person somewhere either :(

I'm now 50/50 between declaring SORN and possibly having to drive somewhere or just leaving it expired and possibly having to drive somewhere.... no idea. Its not easy when you live in a tiny village with no transport!

You might not want to know this but my dad bought a car on the 23rd February and he still hasn't received the v5 for it yet.

So it would seem the DVLA are taking quite a while with these at the moment.

And this is why you MUST make sure the old reg is taken off the car before you buy it ;)

If you get pulled, they'll do you for it and rightfully so. That's not a slight on you, but rather it's the only way to be otherwise they could hear all kinds of sob stories and scrotes would get away with it. It's a faff, but as far as I can see you've no way of taxing it. :(

What he said. When I part ex`d my zed the dealer actually tried to knock me down in my price even further because of the time it would take in getting the reg plates swapped back over. It actually took about 2 or 3 weeks for DVLA to process the change over before I could then get the old tax disc and cash it in. I was a bit anoyed as it meant id loose a month on the tax disc refund which on my zed was nearly £40 a month in tax.

Really the dealer should make sure they have the new v5 before they sell the car, but dealers being dealers just want the car off their forecourt and cash in the bank as soon as they can to make as much profits as possible.

I certainly will make sure I take my private plate off my car in future before selling it to avoid the hassle.

I'm now 50/50 between declaring SORN and possibly having to drive somewhere or just leaving it expired and possibly having to drive somewhere.... no idea. Its not easy when you live in a tiny village with no transport!

I fail to see how you can declare SORN if you dont have the v5. Whilst its in the other persons name its their responsibly and if you get the v5 you can immediately tax it rather than SORN it.

Only option will be really to hire a car for a week or so until its sorted out.

Normally when I buy a car with no tax, i get the garage to tax it for me as I know it will take a few weeks before I get the v5 in my name and until then I wont be able to get any tax on it.

Nah, you'll get a warning letter first of all, normally it's about a month grace. That said, they can just fine you straight away.

How would you SORN it without the V5 though? I've never SORN'd a car before, so don't know. I suspect a call to the DVLA might be in order, to clarify things. You never know, you may just get a helpful person.

contact garage tell them you will tax it but will be posted to them and to forward to you you car will show as taxed so wont flash up on police cars screens etc and if pulled explain the reson and if reg issuie use old one and refund swop if possible on new one when done pain in the ass but an option

I still dont get how you are going to tax it if you're not the registered keeper. You need either the valid V5 or the tax renewal reminder, both of which will always be posted to the original keeper :headhurt:

I dont get what the garage are doing selling a car and not having you fill out the V5 counterparts! Technically you are not the registered keeper of the car by the looks of it and wont be until they get the plate retention sorted and a new V5 issued then you can sign it and take registered keeper of it.

DVLA are taking forever to get my V5 to me so i can transfere my private reg onto my Z4. I think the delay is due to all the new cars being registered for 1st March.

Hope you get it sorted really soon.

Edited by stuarty

It's a gamble, police don't enforce tax anymore - it's normally local council. However if you go through an ANPR you could get a fine in the post for driving without tax or a traffic cop could feel obliged to stop you if you ping up in one of their cars. Sounds lose/lose to me...

The V5 is still in the name of the guy who let the garage sell it for him. I could probably try and get in touch with him and ask if he would forward the tax disk on to me? Or is this dodgy?

Not dodgy - as long as he's amenable to it. Can't see any reason why he wouldn't want to help out. I would if it was the new owner of a car I'd sold.

• Like 1

Yeah, totally at a loss what to do. Apparently they automatically fine you after two weeks now too when you show up on their database. Damn.

Anybody see any reason why I couldn't call up the previous owner (found his number after a quick google) and ask if I can buy it and he forwards it on? Or could this be risky?

do it if taxed on line car shows as taxed so all good v5 if you read it does not prove ownership of the car just who is responsable for taxing it :thumbs: and if you cant tax it he can with his trade plates

With no v5 you have to fill out a v890 form and send it off make sure you date it before your tax expires,then its a race between your sorn and v5 ive recently done this all on the Scooby, couldn't tax till today, v5 turned up saturday sent it off feb 18,almost wouldn't tax me as on system it was neither taxed or sorned...bunch of douchbags if you ask me